Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Po Pai is it a strike or pushing

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Wow! In all my years of witnessing ugly scenes at footie, bar brawls; my own altercations; and watching MT, MMA, boxing etc I've never seen anyone fly back 6-7ft when hit apart from a dodgy demo on you tube where the guy being hit is holding a telephone book on his chest, and pushing techniques such as teep in MT and sidekicks in karate / tkd tournaments.
    You never saw a senior vt student strike and ko a guy in a fight ?? A commoner wouldn't strike the same straight lines we do...experience in combat mate.... not a lifetime pretending to hit people. I have been complemented by onlookers on my punch after fights more than once, (ego rampant Joy, yes) ...but hey, if you got it baby, flaunt it. my kick is pretty amazing too. maybe a clip is needed for frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You never saw a senior vt student strike and ko a guy in a fight ?? A commoner wouldn't strike the same straight lines we do...experience in combat mate.... not a lifetime pretending to hit people. I have been complemented by onlookers on my punch after fights more than once, (ego rampant Joy, yes) ...but hey, if you got it baby, flaunt it. my kick is pretty amazing too. maybe a clip is needed for frosty.
    Never mentioned commoners Kev, I've seen highly trained martial artists (including world champions), ex proffessional boxers etc on the doors slam people hard, some of the guys that used to brawl at footie games were anything but common and were some of the hardest nastiest fighters I've ever seen. Equally I wouldn't refer to Mayweather, Tyson, Lewis, Liddell, Jackson etc etc etc as commoners.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

btw I wouldn't see moving someone back 6ft as anything to flaunt, if you hit them properly they should drop where they stand. From a purely theoretical perspective any of your force that causes the opponent to move away from you is wasted as kinetic energy.
    As you like your boxing and spend time in a boxing gym, when working a heavy bag which is the best punch - the one that swings the bag through a big arc or the one that moves it little but folds it in two?
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

...experience in combat mate.... not a lifetime pretending to hit people.
    or maybe an overactive imagination , my observations were based on my own experiences of fighting, there are plenty of people on this forum with fight experience of one type or another.

So an inch punch can send a guy backwards into a chair several feet (5-6 ft easy ) at a demo, but you cant knock a guy down the same way in a real fight to ko him ??
    I have hit a enough people defending myself to not need reference a 'heavy bag'. Yeah I hit heavy bags daily but none will slide due the thing called a chain on top

or maybe an overactive imagination , my observations were based on my own experiences of fighting, there are plenty of people on this forum with fight experience of one type or another.
    How many guys you ko with a punch ?

How many guys you ko with a punch ?
    Never felt the need to count, but plenty over the years. Also been KO'd myself a fair few times.

Never felt the need to count, but plenty over the years. Also been KO'd myself a fair few times.
    And the inch punch demo,you ever done that ?

So an inch punch can send a guy backwards into a chair several feet (5-6 ft easy ) at a demo, but you cant knock a guy down the same way in a real fight to ko him ??
    I have hit a enough people defending myself to not need reference a 'heavy bag'. Yeah I hit heavy bags daily but none will slide due the thing called a chain on top
    See my original post, the demo in question is tosh and is a combination of a push and a very compliant student. If the student holding the phonebook had collapsed to their knees on the spot and reproduced their breakfast I would have been far more impressed. With regards the bag I never mentioned it sliding try reading the post before responding. The question was which is the more impressive punch, the one that makes the bag SWING in a big arc or the one that moves it little but folds it in half?

So if you hit a guy with force in the head and he falls backwards and then moves in the direction you hit them ? How hard is that to grasp ?

Kev you still haven't answered the question re the punches on the heavy bag. I hope that your footwork is as evasive as your posting

So if you hit a guy with force in the head and he falls backwards and then moves in the direction you hit them ? How hard is that to grasp
    ?
    If they're still concious they may step back or stumble, unconcious people go down as their legs buckle beneath them even if their body position means that they fall backwards they crumple not fly across the room.

And the inch punch demo,you ever done that ?
    not the way its shown on you tube, no. I've broken boards and smashed fruit etc for show but never pushed a volunteer across a stage into a piece of board or onto a chair. It is completely alien to my understanding of fa jing and the idea of on off energy.

I'll leave it to you to wrap up this conversation. I've expressed my POV and we clearly have dipole positions on this. Each to their own

http://youtu.be/km7xuoeF5B0 some po-pai in use...

Kev you still haven't answered the question re the punches on the heavy bag. I hope that your footwork is as evasive as your posting

?
    If they're still concious they may step back or stumble, unconcious people go down as their legs buckle beneath them even if their body position means that they fall backwards they crumple not fly across the room.

not the way its shown on you tube, no. I've broken boards and smashed fruit etc for show but never pushed a volunteer across a stage into a piece of board or onto a chair. It is completely alien to my understanding of fa jing and the idea of on off energy.

I'll leave it to you to wrap up this conversation. I've expressed my POV and we clearly have dipole positions on this. Each to their own
    watch ufc, when guys get hit and go backwards to the floor (5-6ft) as the hitter runs after them to gnp.

watch ufc, when guys get hit and go backwards to the floor (5-6ft) as the hitter runs after them to gnp.
    lol, I watch UFC all the time, along with WEC etc and the only time people go backwards that distance is when they stumble because they are concious /semi concious, definitely no sliding involved. Whenever someone gets KO'd standing up they go straight down.

Oh and you still haven't answered the question re the bag...........

lol, I watch UFC all the time, along with WEC etc and the only time people go backwards that distance is when they stumble because they are concious /semi concious, definitely no sliding involved. Whenever someone gets KO'd standing up they go straight down.

Oh and you still haven't answered the question re the bag...........
    Ah, you're stuck on sliding, okay some fly through the air, some slide, some fly back into walls and back at me, etc...more variety... better ??

Bags differ in weight filling, at our gym we have 10-12 various bags. Everlast uses our gym as a testing ground for new stuff. Giving you a reply is difficult.
    I found that the reality of the man on his arse or still standing tells me what my punch did or didnt do...not a heavy bag. I use a tennis ball on 3mm elastic cord that gets more respect from the boxers as I work out than heavy bag ...accuracy/reaction/timing in motion its tuff !!