Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engagement with Wing Chun

Engagement with Wing Chun

To spark some serious wing chun discussion, I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on how we 'engage' with our opponent within the Wing Chun system. To keep it simple, for now I'll only define 'Engage' as going from no contact to contact with an attacking opponent.

Listing techniques alone won't cut it IMO. As WC practitioners, I would think we all should also be able to provide supporting concepts/principles/theories that back the techniques as it is commonly accepted that wing chun is a principle based system.

Also, if you don't like my simple definition of 'engage', feel free to include how you would define it along with your answer.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I guess I'm looking to "bridge the gap" / enter, occupy the centre and control/restrict the opponent's limbs while striking at his center.

e.g. TWC entry technique, moving to the outside, my palm on his forward elbow, leading to a larp sao and my foot on his while punching him in the face.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I guess I'm looking to "bridge the gap" / enter, occupy the centre and control/restrict the opponent's limbs while striking at his center.

Im much the same.... strike, deal with limbs if i have to, try to get his COG, stay in that "WC range"

Create opportunity and utilize the environment.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

depend on what the other guy is doing and what range we start from. Assuming that the opponent isn't closing range for me, then as others have said I too would look to close the range as quickly as possible. If the opponent's arms are central I angle if they are wide I'd go straight. If the ability to strike unimpeded is presented I will take it everytime but if not I will always look to distract / draw a response either using kicks, feints / mun sao or short blasts of force (pak, jum etc).
    Tough question to answer without narrowing down the variables.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

I'm still not as far in the system as most of you, so dont be alarmed if my efficiency in movement isn't at it's most economical.

For me, and this is purely based on sparring rather than street fights or anything like that, i usually use side stepping and cutting in using diagonal lines of movement, if that makes sense. I'll add a kick or so into this as I enter kicking range/distance, but I dont like to hang out in that distance for too long. Once I'm close to the being within arms distance, I tend to throw a lower faster kick mainly for the purpose of quickly cutting the distance and either attacking or using mun sao. Before I enter this distance, I may also use a type of shuffle where i twist my hip to switch my lead and rear legs. I mainly do this because, at least at my level and the level of the people I spar with, this sudden shift from either "southpaw" to "orthodox" or vice versa changes the situation enough that moving in shortly after leaves the opponent with less time to really think of what he's going to do. At this point, I feel that I'm completely engaged.

sounds like a long process but it really only takes a matter of seconds when applied.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Attack, if attacks me back defend and attack simultaneously. control his center line...My entry technique to closed the gap is to attack. Once i have bridge if possible i will kick his supporting leg while i strike him simultaneously.

Example I approach my opponent he throws an quick jab...i pak da and press his attacking arm on his body while striking his nose and turning his body as i kick is back knee inward an stomp or push so he collaspes while i continue to stike his melon! But thats all theory based not reality...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Combatively , I am like a snow plow.If I have no security protocol to follow ,I attack the center and all combed opponent tools dealt with and center dominated
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Silly question! How can you know until you are attacked or engaged in a fight? Best I can do is apply an idea to it. We must intercept an attack with are own or pre empt an attack and attack first. Failing that or if too dangerous...run like f**k.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Combatively , I am like a snow plow.If I have no security protocol to follow ,I attack the center and all combed opponent tools dealt with and center dominated

In an ideal world perhaps but in real life maybe you have been hit already. Maybe you are out numbered. Maybe you have lost already because the guy in front of you is foaming at the mouthg with a blade in his hand.

Refer to my previous comment. Getting involved in a "from no contact to contact (engagement)" coversation is pointless. There are too many factors to warrant it.

In Wing Chun people like to talk about going in with a pak sau, chain punch or angling in etc etc etc. It's stupid and for Kung Fu movie freaks!

Go out and have a fight first and then tell everybody how you fared if that floats your boat but do not speculate!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    To spark some serious wing chun discussion, I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on how we 'engage' with our opponent within the Wing Chun system. To keep it simple, for now I'll only define 'Engage' as going from no contact to contact with an attacking opponent.

Listing techniques alone won't cut it IMO. As WC practitioners, I would think we all should also be able to provide supporting concepts/principles/theories that back the techniques as it is commonly accepted that wing chun is a principle based system.

Also, if you don't like my simple definition of 'engage', feel free to include how you would define it along with your answer.
    I would "attack his attack" ie punch him in the face!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post

I think a simple answer cant be applied here there are to many variables awareness I believe is the best defence if your are in a position to sense something is wrong and you kinda know its going to kick off I would say leave why you can why engage at all but if not attack first dont wait to counter thats how you lose and sometimes all the training in the world wont help once the fear of a attack takes over I worked for many years on the doors and I have seen men built like brick Sxxt houses freeze and just not been able to do anything once it kicked off

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    . If the opponent's arms are central I angle if they are wide I'd go straight. If the ability to strike unimpeded is presented I will take it everytime but if not I will always look to distract / draw a response either using kicks, feints / mun sao or short blasts of force (pak, jum etc).
    Tough question to answer without narrowing down the variables.

I would not do this, ie "if the opponents arms are central I angle if they are wide i go straight"

Just because your opponent looks like he has a good center means nothing! you need to attack it! , test it, it may well be weak.Due to your training you could well have a better center than your opponent so use your training. While attacking center if he swings a hook due to your training your ready! I never go by what i see you should really work off what you feel all the time.imo

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Refer to my previous comment. Getting involved in a "from no contact to contact (engagement)" coversation is pointless. There are too many factors to warrant it.

In Wing Chun people like to talk about going in with a pak sau, chain punch or angling in etc etc etc. It's stupid and for Kung Fu movie freaks!

Go out and have a fight first and then tell everybody how you fared if that floats your boat but do not speculate!
    I agree that talking theory without doing anything is lame. But to be honest, the conversation on how to engage/break the distance only becomes pointless when people address the question from bizarre perspectives.

To illustrate this further, just look at this scenario where a common question is answered in a similar bizarre way as opposed to a normal way.

Question: What are you going to eat for lunch today?

Normal answer: I think I'll go to subway and get a sandwich

Bizarre answer
    : Lunch? You want me to tell you what I'm going to eat for lunch? How should I know? I cant read the future. I might get hit by a car or stray bullet as soon as I step outside and thus never get to eating lunch. The place I go to eat at may be out of whatever I'm craving now so I may not be able to get what I want even if I get there. How can I possibly tell you what I'm going to eat for lunch!?!

I think it's really just a matter of common sense that when a person asks how you'd engage in a fight, the setting is two people who are at a distance who are in a fight but contact hasn't been made yet. It's just silly to assume that such questions are asking what you would do if you were jumped by a crew of marksmen while eating lunch in a dark alleyway after a tiring training session, or some other worst case scenario.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Hmmm engagement. And "within the WCK system" too.

Principles are very general to match the very general "engagement" term. Keep your own balance and structure, economize stance to minimize distance of limbs to fighting stance, emotional color wheel orange with readiness for action and awareness of distance.

With the actual first motion to physical contact you have to decide whether you are going to attack offensively and bring the fight to them or be a counterpuncher. Most TMA's work counterpunching, hence the ad nausea of video related to the multiple step response to the one step punch attack demoed to death by EVERY TMA on the planet, including WCK. From what I see in this arena the mental fortitude of the decision can mean the difference between winning and losing (case in point JDS vs. Cain 1 vs. last Saturday). Cain closed the gap quickly and left JDS no room to box - he filled the space aggressively and took the fight to JDS. For that night it was the better strategy - the combo threats of strikes and takedowns kept JDS tentative in response - and he said he had the wrong strategy after. Just using a real world example. He owned centerline all fight, but did it from an offensive mindset.

I honestly don't know the mindset of most WCK practitioners, whether they are 100% in the counterpuncher mentality or not. It seems most are. If you are, it's workable and you want to cheat the footwork and facing just a tad to allow your response to own the centerline and space so you can key off the simultaneous O/D we were talking about and get off your response sooner rather than having to play catch up. Chi sau training seems to lead to looking for the half beat on the response to beat your opponent with most I've seen.

If you are going offense, you have to commit 100%. Seems cliché, but I have seen so many things violate that lately. If you're tentative, you're gone. IMO you also need to spend attention to masking your movement of entry. (Boxing example - the 1, pause, 1-2 - the foot slide to cover distance on the pause is masked by the contact of the first jab on the shell or bridge - after the second jab you are closer to your opponent but they don't know it if u do it right). When I was doing point fighting years back there were a couple guys I knew that spent at least an hour a day in the mirror perfecting their jumping back fist. Stupid, but they got a lot of people with stealth masking their initiation of the movement. Training for a ruleset specifically. They also trained common reactions to that to chain their offense to lead to a finish.

As far as technique, well the context is so general not much for me to say there. Do you like the Queen's Gambit or the Reti Opening better when you play chess? What does your opponent give you?