Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engagement with Wing Chun

Are we talking real fights or sport fights? Real fights are not like sparring or cage fighting with strategies per round.

You don't need a way to engage or close the gap in a real fight. The opponent does it for you they the come up on you.

Don't know what happened to Kevin's post, but as he put it: "First come, first served".

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Are we talking real fights or sport fights? Real fights are not like sparring or cage fighting with strategies per round.

You don't need a way to engage or close the gap in a real fight. The opponent does it for you they the come up on you.

Don't know what happened to Kevin's post, but as he put it: "First come, first served".
    Sure, but i think he was saying whats your plan at that initial contact, regardless of who creates it

What to do upon initial contact is a different question with indeed too many variables. Adhering to the basic principles of WCK should always be the answer.

How to go "from no contact to contact with an attacking opponent" as he defined "engage" is a simple question. The simple answer is in a real fight you don't need a concept/principle/theory for closing the gap and engaging with an attacker. That's decided by the opponent when they come up on you.

To always respond with the familiar WCK principles is again the answer. Looking for a more detailed hypothetical response sounds like a Yoshi question.

If I know it's coming and unavoidable, I'm not going to leave how initial contact occurs up to him if I can avoid it. It's reasonable to set yourself up in an advantageous position if you get the chance. You can do otherwise if you want, I guess.

Geoff Thompson et al have written lots on pre-fight strategies. fail to plan, you plan to fail.

To always respond with the familiar WCK principles is again the answer.
    That's hardly an answer. It begs the "like how?" question. Do you shout "Fist comes from the heart!" in their face?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Don't be retarded. It's hardly an answer if I'm talking to Yoshi...

During a slight disturbance one night I was called upon to try to resolve a fight. The fight turns out to be a fellow about 6 feet tall and 240 or 250 pounds beating the crap out of a little guy. When I intervened, he turned to me and put both hands on my chest and shoved me very hard. Had I not grabbed his wrists I would have flown through a wall no doubt. As I reached the end of his extended arms I jerked him real hard. He then placed a foot between us and pulled back very hard. As I felt myself moving forward I rapidly walked forward and shoved him completely off balance and backwards for a few steps. He backed into a booth and sort or fell backward over it. I brought a knee up between his legs and then shoved his right arm across his body. He attemped to strike me or at least block me from hitting him with his left arm, but it was short of any range and lacked any power at all. I grabbed his left wrist and jerked his arm across his body, then I raised his right arm over his left arm and scissored it, placing all my weight on his right hand. He sort of yelled in pain because this is very painful. In the mean time I slapped him full in the face, using my right palm against his nose, then I went down and slapped very hard, downward into his solar plexus and then just above his pelvic bridge. Those actions will make you feel as though everything inside you is coming out. I immediately backed off a few feet and watched him as he collapsed into the floor. When a man loses his bodily functions in public he is terrible humilited.
    None of this is or was practiced, but were simply presented to me by the big guy. This is the entire concept we speak of. Allowing a man to back off and square off at you is asking for trouble. Never stand toe to toe and trade punches with a man. It is just too **** dangerous and he has an equal chance of punching your clock for you. Rush him and make him defend himself, even is if it a fake attack or faint on your part just to get him to give up some of his own advantage. It is diffiult to fight against another chunner because he knows what you are always up to and he attempts to do the same things to you. I have never met another wing chun fighter other than people I was actively training with, and most men, once you make your move are at a disadvantage if you can gain control of his arms. It only takes seconds to dispatch him if you know your stuff. Some call it chasing hands, but it is extremely effective against the un initiated.
    Jackie Lee

When someone engages on me it depends on if I am working or if it is a personal level. If its a professional situation such as when I am doing volunteer security for my Colleges sporting events or working traffic at graduation I would handle the situation as follows:
    First would be an immediate size up of the situation, How many hostiles? I assume one for the scenario so I should "Stop, Sir please Stop!" and the like. As the man advances I try my best to block any incoming strikes while I move into a clincinc and try to take him down with either Osoto gari or O goshi. If its gets realy bad I might just go for a power double or single and just wrestle him to the ground. Once I have him on the ground I will just choke him out or just keep him pinned until back up arrives or I feel that I am in a bad position and need to get up if I feel like his back up arrived before mine. Afterwards I file a report.

If its a personal situation same thing but I would be throwing punches in addition to the blocks while closing in to the grappling range. Do the throw get them to the ground but I wouldn't follow them down to the ground. Just give them one good kick and then bolt and call the police.

Both of these scenarios are of course assuming my nike fu is not an option as I always prefer to run or avoid a fight than risk getting stabbed,shote, or curb stomped.

Don't be retarded
    Good to see you taking the high road.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

hit him hard. if he doesnt go down hit him with a chair.

seriously, you cant answer a generic question about what you want to do. to many variables

Engagement

I engage my wing chun (ving tsun, wing tsun, wing tchun et...) with a chi sau ring....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    During a slight disturbance one night I was called upon to try to resolve a fight. The fight turns out to be a fellow about 6 feet tall and 240 or 250 pounds beating the crap out of a little guy. When I intervened, he turned to me and put both hands on my chest and shoved me very hard. Had I not grabbed his wrists I would have flown through a wall no doubt. As I reached the end of his extended arms I jerked him real hard. He then placed a foot between us and pulled back very hard. As I felt myself moving forward I rapidly walked forward and shoved him completely off balance and backwards for a few steps. He backed into a booth and sort or fell backward over it. I brought a knee up between his legs and then shoved his right arm across his body. He attemped to strike me or at least block me from hitting him with his left arm, but it was short of any range and lacked any power at all. I grabbed his left wrist and jerked his arm across his body, then I raised his right arm over his left arm and scissored it, placing all my weight on his right hand. He sort of yelled in pain because this is very painful. In the mean time I slapped him full in the face, using my right palm against his nose, then I went down and slapped very hard, downward into his solar plexus and then just above his pelvic bridge. Those actions will make you feel as though everything inside you is coming out. I immediately backed off a few feet and watched him as he collapsed into the floor. When a man loses his bodily functions in public he is terrible humilited.
    None of this is or was practiced, but were simply presented to me by the big guy. This is the entire concept we speak of. Allowing a man to back off and square off at you is asking for trouble. Never stand toe to toe and trade punches with a man. It is just too **** dangerous and he has an equal chance of punching your clock for you. Rush him and make him defend himself, even is if it a fake attack or faint on your part just to get him to give up some of his own advantage. It is diffiult to fight against another chunner because he knows what you are always up to and he attempts to do the same things to you. I have never met another wing chun fighter other than people I was actively training with, and most men, once you make your move are at a disadvantage if you can gain control of his arms. It only takes seconds to dispatch him if you know your stuff. Some call it chasing hands, but it is extremely effective against the un initiated.
    I like this story as a good general example of the point of engagement. Control your center of gravity while making them loose theirs.

Upon Intial contact...My goal is to hit while controlling his center LINE...I want to overflow him while taking his balance and damaging his structure...that is key!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"