Thread: Shillelagh

Shillelagh

This came up on my Shaolin news feed today. Reminds me of Canemasters. See also: Cane Fu.

Club swaps shillelagh for Shaolin to fight isolation
    Thursday, December 27, 2012

Shaolin monks they are not, but a community group has turned to the shillelagh as the latest weapon in the fight against social isolation.

By Georgina O’Halloran
    Members of the Shandon Shillelagh Social Club in Cork, practice a form of non-combative martial arts using the blackthorn stick.

Instructor Martin Forrest teaches a programme which combines elements of tai chi and pilates, and involves the use of the shillelagh for self-defence.

“It’s not about fighting,” said Mr Forrest. “It’s about self-defence, personal safety, mobility and wellness.”

The club, the only one of its kind in the country, came into being as part of a programme of activities organised for a local men’s group set up to tackle social isolation.

The group meets on a weekly basis at Eason’s Hill Community Centre in Cork City, where they train and talk.

Already, the club is making its mark, and has performed demonstrations in the north Cork town of Charleville and in Dundalk, Co Louth.

Next year, members will to travel to London to take part in a St Patrick’s Day event hosted by the Irish Cultural Centre, and they plan to perform at an event in Limerick next summer as part of The Gathering.

“It’s great for the men — both for their physical and mental wellbeing,” said community health worker Martin Aherne, who founded the men’s group as part of a HSE/Health Action Zone initiative.

One club member, Michael O’Brien of Gerald Griffin St, Cork, says he looks going to the club each week.

“It’s an outlet for people... It’s occupying the mind rather than sitting in front of the TV,” said Mr O’Brien, who occasionally brings his grandchildren Dean, 10, and Tyrese, 5, along to join in the activities.

“They [Dean and Tyrese] are out on the floor with the sticks training. At home when they come up the first thing they go for is the stick... They do the moves.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This came up on my Shaolin news feed today. Reminds me of Canemasters. See also: Cane Fu.
    This isn't really surprising since there seems to be a revival of Bartitsu clubs. The only problem with canes and shillelaghs is that they require carrying canes and shillelaghs.

Might as well just carry a crow-bar or baseball bat and skip the martial training.

But if they're elderly people, many of them would probably be carrying canes anyway. Which, besides serving their intended purpose, wouldn't draw unwanted attention from the cops or other citizens. I don't see too many seniors, or anybody else, carrying a crowbar or a baseball bat everywhere they go.