Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should grappler run?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    So serious Judo guys would do both running and low stance walking.
    Yes, but as in all things, randori is different. You don't overthink your footwork like you do in TCMA. Just keep low, be decisive, and be fast. Play your game. Float like a butterfly sting like a be. Grip and go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ-suyYUY3k

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    One of my students ran marathons and half marathons. His hamstrings were strong, but also tight. His quads were weak, and his stances and stepping were too tall, unstable, and couldn't deliver power or speed.
    Sounds like he was missing quite a few fundamental requirements of running. Stretching, intervals, and lunges...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Sounds like he was missing quite a few fundamental requirements of running. Stretching, intervals, and lunges...
    Yep. He needed to stretch more.

He was pretty quick in the marathon. Can't remember his times.

Not much hill work around here.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I don't like being vaguely uncomfortable for 2 hours a week so I'll make up excuses as to why my body doesn't need it.
    You just described 90% of martial artists.

Most of the time, the modern guys will say that the traditional guys are not willing to try the modern method. In my experience, sometime the modern guys are also not will to try the traditional method either.
    Since when is running not traditional???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Since when is running not traditional???
    I don't know TCMA guys ran in the ancient time or not. I only know my teacher didn't treat running as part of his daily training. I'm not talking about running. I'm talking about "low stance walking". It seems to me that most modern guys just don't like the traditional "low stance walking" for some unknown reason.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-25-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I don't know TCMA guys ran in the ancient time or not. I only know my teacher didn't treat running as part of his daily training. I'm not talking about running. I'm talking about "low stance walking". It seems to me that most modern guys just don't like the traditional "low stance walking" for some unknown reason.
    ancient times tcma runs with weight vest and shin weights. low stance walking is good exercise for children.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

It seems to me that most modern guys just don't like the traditional "low stance walking" for some unknown reason.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that because grapplers (Judo and Wrestling) approach low. They just don't over think it because it's something you do. The main difference would be in weight distribution because you don't heel to toe walk in Judo, you're usually low but light on your feet and you tend to stay more on the balls of your feet. In most of your hip throws you need to have your belt lower than their belt.