Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocking

Blocking

I'm curious how you all teach and implement blocking, if at all.

I am of the opinion that blocking is an intermediate-advanced technique. To me, basic boxing and kickboxing skills should be learned before before blocking. Once you become better at timing, distance, parrying(yes, I think you should parry before you block), footwork, and head movement THEN you should be able to block with some proficiency.

I commonly use inward and outward blocks when sparring(with and without padding). Occasionally i'll use a downward. Most of the time I check with the shin. I've never really used up blocks.

Most blocks can be used from the basic boxing position.

I will admit, though, that once the sparring partner reaches a certain level I no longer find them AS useful. It just becomes another tool. Like a parry and other combat movements. But, solid blocks to the arms(or blocking with the elbows lol), especially to the radial nerves and such are very satisfying.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I don't like the idea of rising blocks, down blocks, ect...at all.

I think parries/deflections are far simpler to use, much quicker and more practical. As to true "hard blocking," knee checks and elbows blocks aren't that difficult and are extremely effective.

I think the ultimate goal, however, should be slipping/counter striking as your opponent strikes, with a more direct technique. This is of course much tougher to get down than parrying.

Ultimately the best thing is not being there. The second best thing is blending with the energy of your opponent by deflecting or angling.

Blocking is good because it's fast. It's your emergency technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Ultimately the best thing is not being there. The second best thing is blending with the energy of your opponent by deflecting or angling.

Blocking is good because it's fast. It's your emergency technique.
    Exactly, emergency technique...I'll go along with that....

Yeah, I'm not inclined to meet force with force like that. But in a pinch, you do what you gotta do. I mean, I'll even let you stab up my hands if it means I'm not getting stabbed in the chest. Nowhere near ideal tho, lol.

Blog Entries
    This forum is funny. We have threads such as:

- How many blocks in a typical wing chun class?
    - Blocking in Mantis,
    - Blocking,

I like the general "blocking" discussion. Why should we care that much about "style" when we discuss "combat"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    I have always believed that a blocking should be more than just a blocking. When your opponent punches at you, you can block his punch 100 times, he will still punch you the 101 times. Blocking is not the solution. What will you do after blocking is more important. The XingYi Pao Chuan is like to "use your hand to lift the curtain and walk underneath". To "walk underneath" is more important than to "lift the curtain".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-29-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- Blocking in Mantis,
    - Blocking,

I like the general "blocking" discussion. Why should we care that much about "style" when we discuss "combat"?
    Apparently not getting hit involves specials methods that only pertain to certain systems. It wouldn't be a universal concept to all martial arts or anything...

When your opponent punches at you, you can block his punch 100 times, he will still punch you the 101 times. Blocking is not the solution. What will you do after blocking is more important.
    That seems to be what happens, doesn't it? I would say, perhaps, what you do before the necessity to block arises, may be even more important...

Learn to block and attack simultaneously then there is never wasted movement.
    it is always better to redirect than hard block,
    use less to minimal effort to defend use maximum effort to attack. defend once then attack continuously until the fight is over. simple rules to follow
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

practice them in fire and return drills (one attacker / one defender)

There are the simple ones such as patting, forearm defending, chopping downwards, covering the head and even shrugging is going to help with taking the incoming which is what blocking is about.

You should definitely learn to bring a counter out from a block, otherwise evasion is just as good.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    When you block, can you move your hand this fast (try to move your mouse cursor to his head)?

http://www.selfcontrolfreak.com/slaan.html

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I'm curious how you all teach and implement blocking, if at all.

I will admit, though, that once the sparring partner reaches a certain level I no longer find them AS useful. It just becomes another tool. Like a parry and other combat movements. But, solid blocks to the arms(or blocking with the elbows lol), especially to the radial nerves and such are very satisfying.
    Look at blocking as a bridge or even reframe it as parry to mount attack at the miscreant!
    I would say that it is a natural function within attack. As in tuishou principle, when pushed, resist slightly then allow weight (appearance) to fall then turn waist (song ya,o song kua) to push, trap, engage, or allow some level of offense to topple the opponent. Pushing upward block is an unexpected new training regimen so learn to adopt it and be prepared to train in ways that you may not think are applicable!

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Pushing upward block is an unexpected new training regimen so learn to adopt it and be prepared to train in ways that you may not think are applicable!
    There's a lot of techniques I wrote off as unusable in real situations, only to have them used against me successfully by a better practitioner. I don't write anything off now that I haven't drilled and tested. A lot of times it's just a matter of developing the muscle memory, familiarizing yourself with a tech and applying it; you may find out it works well when you get the feel for the when and where.

- Blocking in Mantis,
    - Blocking,

Because some of us practice STYLES, not just a mish-mash of Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Muay Thai watered down ideas. And many styles are unique in their approach. So those of us who take our styles seriously like to look at why we are different.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!