Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocking

Personally, I don't train my mindset for blocking any strike coming in slow enough to see, ie: blocking based on an aggressor's attack. Even in sparring I reflexively transform into a full body block that is an obstacle instead of the body image my attacker struck out at. (modified crane). This gives me a moment to assess the status of the attack. Friend, foe, (intent), weapons, alone? The faster the ability of the opponent, the less likely you will see what you are being struck with. Like to fight unarmed as I would while holding a sword or short staff. Also, I won't attack an opponent on the grounds of what I see but by what I have prepared for him/them.

Old school karate taught it this way:
    Least favorable - Block and then strike
    Better but still not best - Block and strike at the same time
    Better - Evade and strike
    Best - Hit them before they hit you ( start later but arrive first or stop-hit or even pre-emptive striking).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I agree with everything in your post sanjuro..
    expect for the fact of hitting them before they hit you, we are all taught that MA is SELF DEFENSE and if you train to use it it should be used in accordance with that spirit.

Now backed into a corner, 2 or more people, about to be jumped, they have a weapon or its a life threatening ****uation these are obviously exceptions.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Hand to Hand
    Heart to Heart
    You don't come
    I won't start

If you start
    I hit you first
    and hit you until I see red(blood)

one of the Kuen Kit from SPM
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I agree with everything in your post sanjuro..
    expect for the fact of hitting them before they hit you, we are all taught that MA is SELF DEFENSE and if you train to use it it should be used in accordance with that spirit.

Now backed into a corner, 2 or more people, about to be jumped, they have a weapon or its a life threatening ****uation these are obviously exceptions.
    Well...as you know there are times when a pre-emptive hit is the only self protection method that will work.
    What I meant was the old TCMA adage, as Dale posted above, of the opponent starting but we "arrive" before him. In effect we hit first simply because our strike lands before his.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

From the system I teach and train, all defensive material is "installed" in a reactionary framework. That is, there is no conceptualization of whats going on; no memorization, no back and forth drills or patterns, and no conscious thought process. In this way, we attempt to approach things from a "zero mind" perspective at the very beginning, to allow it to burn in to the subconscious so that it is readily accessible.

We adhere to 4 basic principles when working with "blocking" or any other type of defensive movement:
    1. Random: We dont have any drills. Everything is fed to the student randomly, so that the student is unable to "think" about or fall into a pattern. They are therefore simply sensing the attack and attempting to react properly and in time rather than anticipating the next motion.
    2. On Target: All strikes are made on target, so that the student learns to differentiate between strikes that are a real threat and those which arent. No sense in blocking/redirecting a punch if its 2" off from making contact.
    3. Real-Time: From the perspective of the student, if it is too "slow" there is no threat, nor is it realistic; all defensive movements are installed in a real-time situation, so that they are available in a real-time situation.
    4. Under Stress: We like to say that skills can only be accessed under stress. If you cant do it under stress, one could argue that its not technically a skill. Therefore, all defensive movements are performed under a stress level that is slightly higher than the ability of the student.

While theres more to the actual training, I find that if one adheres to the above 4 ideas, that working on defense tends to become much more productive...

dale sanjuro,
    don't gt me wrong I'm a fighter through and through but also realize that a lot of fights I have been in could have been no fights had I not poured fuel on the fire but hey older wiser, now that I'm 46 I look back and laugh at my drop of a hat mentality I used to have.

so fir me I really don't want to engage unless they are really serious, especially doing security for the bars on the chip strip which I have been doing for years much is just pea****ing.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."