- inner peace,
    - spiritual development,

will you train your TCMA differently?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

without concerns for health?

How can you fight well if you aren't healthy? Health is fundamental.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I run and go to gym for health.

I run as part of my TCMA warm up.

And my gym is my mo kwoon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you train TCMA for "combat" only without any concern about:

- health,
    - performance,
    - self-cultivation,
    - inner peace,
    - spiritual development,

will you train your TCMA differently?
    Combat training is the same as any training???? I don't get it John? If you train for tournaments or you train for combat in the streets, what's the difference?

While I am training for combat and street tactics I am getting into shape and staying healthy. If my combat techniques are in good shape I can perform anywhere. While practicing self preservation I am also practicng self cultivation..the same for inner peace and spiritual .... it's all the same John... I get all of these while training my combat stuff.

Your question answers itself. You get all of that stuff when doing anything in your life as long as you enjoy what you are doing

ginosifu

Blog Entries
    If you don't care about

- health, you don't have to punch slow and pull back fast.
    - performance, you don't have to post at the end of your punch.
    - self-cultivation, you don't have to stand in 混元庄 (Huan Yuan Zhuan).
    - inner peace, you don't have to sit in meditation.
    - spiritual development, you don't have to ... (not sure what this may be).

This is 混元庄 (Huan Yuan Zhuan). Please don't tell me this training will have any combat value.

http://imageshack.us/a/img829/6677/yiquan.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.

If you don't care about

This is 混元庄 (Huan Yuan Zhuan). Please don't tell me this training will have any combat value.

This posture has the same value as "Leaning forward searching for the Sea" or "Kai Sing Points to the Winner" or "Swallow Skims the Water" or any other static posture you do during your combat Shuai Chiao training. It's just a training posture??? However, that's all that Daoists or meditation people do with it.

ginosifu

To a certain degree you will always be concerned with health, and maintaining a good quality of life. But the focus and intention of your training may not be for health or performance, so yes, you will train differently. We are all going to work towards being strong, and having good cardio, and maintaining relative good quality of body so that we can train and fight without issue.

a combat guy will train with combat as his intention and will cater his training routine around developing a strong ability to fight. but he will still want to be able to be a strong healthy individual in general.

a health guy will train with developing and increasing his quality of his health, and primarily to prolong the state of good and young health as long as possible. he will still learn the general aspects of punching and kicking that come a long with martial arts though.

imo it depends on what your focus and long term goals are.

also i think combat guys will have a varying degree of:

- health,
    - performance,
    - self-cultivation,
    - inner peace,
    - spiritual development,

some combat guys will also develop one or two or all of these along side their combat focus. some combat guys will not be concerned with any of these.

but for guys that do not focus on any degree of healthy living, they will either burn out or eventually start to be concerned with health at a later stage and change the way they train. for instance, a healthy diet is an important part of a strong fighters life. you cannot be the best in the world if you are not paying attention to your health.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think there is a lot of crossover here. Doing one will help another whether you focus on it or not. But I mos def believe that what you focus on most will decide how effective you will be in a real combat situation, sport or otherwise.

Like, for example, assuming your training isn't irresponsible and doing damage, it will help your over all health. Dedicating yourself to ANYTHING touches on the personal cultivation level. If you are satisfied with your progress, you will find some peace in that.

And I couldn't give a flying **** about performance. But if you wanna make it into a dance, that's cool. As long as you know the difference. Wushu is fun to watch, but I wouldn't want to use it in the field the way they demonstrate it.

I don't think human beings are so compartmentalized that they cannot attain one for the sake of the other. I think they would regardless of the initial intention. The only difference is in the amount of battery you are willing to take. For health, simply means you aren't going to batter your body. As opposed to the fighter needing to be able to exert great force while receiving same.

this training has combat value.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    If the training is purely for combat, it must mean there is immediate danger present, and the training is urgent. We must be in a police state or warfare or the zombie apocalypse.

So then the focus would be on firearms and explosives training, tactical gun, knife, stick stuff. H2H training would most likely be somewhat minimal, but definitely an emphasis on disarms, maximum power generation for strikes, Kam-La, and "Quick Kills" as some folks call it (lol).

In a sense, sort of what the Krav Maga guys do. Good form and structure are not really emphasized as much as aggression and developing a killer's mindset, because danger is right outside your doorstep.

That would be living in total paranoia.

I would imagine qigong would be quite necessary? Isn't the history of some of them that the generals would have the soliders practice qigong to improve their wounds or somesuch? And right before jumping into the crossfire of a warzone, would it not be beneficial to have a mind calming device to improve performance, if even to stand in Zhan Zhuang for 30 seconds?

Fortunately, some of us don't live in that type of environment, so we have the luxury to train in accordance to our personal preferences, rather than being driven by urgent necessity.

That being said, there is a lot of talk lately about the US government putting tighter restrictions on the sales of firearms, so I see by some facebook posts, some folks are preparing for the scenario I just described above!

Good thought provoking topic, Shifu Wang!

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    When your wife tells you that "marriage is more than just sex", there may be something wrong in your marriage. When someone said that "TCMA is more than just combat", that person may just giving up combat.

The following training at 1.01 in this clip is for 100% combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsEGj...feature=relmfu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    This posture has the same value as ...
    IMO, it has no balance, flexibility, endurance challenge. Even a horse stance will be more challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this training has combat value.
    Please share your opinion.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-29-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post

That would be living in total paranoia.

Just because your paranoid, don't mean THEY ain't out to get ya....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Just because your paranoid, don't mean THEY ain't out to get ya....
    Um......

K.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy