Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TCMA for combat only

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I like this clip. If combat is your highest priority, you will develop your front toe kick, roundhouse kick effectively. You don't even need to develop other kicks. Sometime we look back and realize that we have spent so much time to develop many techniques that we don't use in combat. What's a big waste.
    When you get to the higher levels, I find most people study a small set of high percentage maneuvers as opposed to a ton of variety in some effort to come with something new or unexpected. Not that that can't work for you, just not the least path of resistance in meeting your goal of being combat effective. Especially in the ring sports where rule sets make many techniques illigal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    study a small set of high percentage maneuvers ...
    This is the center of the discussion for this thread. If you train for combat, you will spend more training time in front cut (Osoto Gari)

http://cdn2.judoinfo.com/images/anim.../osotogari.htm

than in hip throw (O Goshi).

http://cdn2.judoinfo.com/images/anim...lue/ogoshi.htm

Why? Because even if hip throw is a great tool for "sport". In "combat", you still have more chance to face your opportunity. The front cut can also give you better mobility and end fight faster advantage (if you smash the back of your opponent's head to the hard ground).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-31-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

When you get to the higher levels, I find most people study a small set of high percentage maneuvers as opposed to a ton of variety...
    The mastery of three to five techniques should be sufficient. It should not take years of training for one to be able to defend them-self. Six months training should be enough for most students to develop self-defense skills.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Six months training should be enough for most students to develop self-defense skills.
    To be able to deal with average Joe may be enough. If your students wrestle/spar 15 rounds and expect 8-7 record (just a bit better than their opponent) is not that hard. If they want to have 15-0 record, It will take much more training time than that. When they only wrestle/spar 3 rounds, it's hard to tell where they are. When they have reached to 15 rounds, their skill level can be easily judged. If your students won't make any mistake in all 15 rounds, they are very good.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-31-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

This is the center of the discussion for this thread. If you train for combat, you will spend more training time in front cut (Osoto Gari)
    I use that alot. It feels very 'natural' to me. And it still works well even when they know it's coming.

The mastery of three to five techniques should be sufficient. It should not take years of training for one to be able to defend them-self. Six months training should be enough for most students to develop self-defense skills.
    I don't believe in mastery. But I hear what you're saying. And I agree with YKW as far as the "average Joe" statement goes.

I think you should be able to make the competent in this amount of time, capable to fight with their techniques.

Speaking of good MT. Love the finish.

http://youtu.be/HFjjpYYAI9U
    The dude is a beast. He's a hero over here. I seriously get asked on an almost daily basis if I know/like Buakaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    The dude is a beast. He's a hero over here. I seriously get asked on an almost daily basis if I know/like Buakaw.
    i agree with you. bwakaw is my favorte muay thai fighter to watch. he is living art.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-31-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i agree with you. bwakaw is my favorte muay thai fighter to watch. he is living art.
    He is amazing
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

The man is a freak android....!!!

You know, it's up to you people who complain that Kung Fu is not combat oriented enough to go out there and get into that aspect of it.

If you guys practice Kung Fu and want that in your Kung Fu, go put it in there.

Instead of every time a post like this pops up it turns into a hand-job for some ufc or non kung fu guy who is going out there and doing what you aren't.

I personally don't have a problem with the fullness of Kung Fu as an art form. But if you do, go out and bust some heads. If you want to fight in a ring, get in one and fight. If you want to use Kung Fu, do that.

It's like a great big wheel that has stopped.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

It's like a great big wheel that has stopped.
    My quote of the year thus far!

What I don't like is when you introduce something new, people would say, "My style has that. We do it differently". People may take your idea but won't give you credit.
    I think this is fair enough, but at the end of the day, are we really talking about anything more than using 2 arms, 2 legs and a body to get a result?

I know John you've said in the past that you tend not to believe in 'styles' anymore - so how would you ideally see a new concept (or a TCMA) concept being acknowledged by a MMA fighter?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

What's your definition of "high level" stuff? Are you talking about

- snake engine, or
    - 6DFV?

My definition is anything that you can

- use in combat is high level (such as to punch on your opponent's face).
    - only talk about and cannot use in combat is low level (such as Wuji, Dazhoutian and meridian flow, ...).
    High level is more along the lines of full integration behind whatever you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iijaInvi1tU

His boxing is looking good too! He's got some killer technical defense which is counter to the full blast Thai war of attrition style.