Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: TCMA for combat only

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    how would you ideally see a new concept (or a TCMA) concept being acknowledged by a MMA fighter?

Interested to hear your thoughts.
    Most information are just some small detail. If you know it, there is no big deal about it. If you don't, you may have to search it for a long time.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

if you train anything, it is inner peace or you would not do it. if you move, you are helping your health, if you are training to fight, you are making your mind and body strong giving you inner peace in your ability. you have to remember a form, you are strengthening your mind and body, what your inner peace is may not be the same as someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You know, it's up to you people who complain that Kung Fu is not combat oriented enough to go out there and get into that aspect of it.

If you guys practice Kung Fu and want that in your Kung Fu, go put it in there.
    Right on man!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You know, it's up to you people who complain that Kung Fu is not combat oriented enough to go out there and get into that aspect of it.
    Many do. It's the delusional flower dancers that keep getting beat up, not the people who do real resistance training and hard sparring.

I don't see any flower dancers here complaining about combat effectiveness. Just those who know better chastising the flower dancers as delusional.

Blog Entries
    I don't see anything wrong to talk about "combat" in a Kung Fu forum. What else should we talk about?

- Yin muscles and Yang muscles?
    - Wuji or Taiji?
    - Dazhoutian and meridian flow?
    - Curve or curves?
    - Alchemy in your meditation?
    - How can you tell that your Zhoutian has been opened?
    - Yin and Yang, Water and Fire?

I just don't see how those discussions can accomplish anything. It's much more fun to talk about:

How to handle your opponent's jab, cross when

- your opponent comes toward you.
    - you come toward your opponent.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-01-2013 at 09:55 PM.

We do seem to go around in circles with this, but there's constantly a new crop of flowers springing up that need to hear it. Most won't listen, but some may and consider training for combat, whether or not they decide to sport fight, or just want to learn real self defense.

It's offensive to those who train for combat to hear things like, TCMA can't work in modern times, or it will only work in a life or death street situation if you don't have a mouth guard or a cup on.

It's absurd. If you don't want to train the real martial aspects that's fine. Admit it to yourself and tell your students, you only like folk dancing and cultivating inner peace. Tell them to go elsewhere to learn the martial side. Don't be a part of propagating the stigma that TCMA is some archaic relic that can never be used in modern times. Some people do train it for combat and don't doubt its' effectiveness on the street or in the ring.

(Not aiming this at anyone in particular, but it's how I feel.)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't see anything wrong to talk about "combat" in a Kung Fu forum. What else should we talk about?
    talk about what kind of combat has your students participated in and how many medals they won.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-02-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    talk about what kind of combat has your students participated in and how many medals they won.
    If you can answer the following question, your TCMA skill is high level:

Is there difference between Taiji and Wuji?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    We do seem to go around in circles with this,
    When you go to a Taiji forum and ask question such as, "Why do you want to push your opponent away?" They may have never thought about this issue before. The more that you have repeated the same question, the more chance that they may think, "Why this guy keeps asking this question?" One day when someone said, "One should keep his friends close but enemy closer." Everything will suddenly kick in and make sense to them.

To bring "combat" back into TCMA is not an easy task. If we TCMA lovers don't take this task, who else will?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.

In Pak Mei/White Brow, Short Fist Boxing, and Hung Gar we fight. Those are the arts I know, have learned from a teacher, and practice with some skill. At this point I don't put much thought into any other arts out there, they wrought their own demise as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 01-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- Yin muscles and Yang muscles?
    - Wuji or Taiji?
    - Dazhoutian and meridian flow?
    - Curve or curves?
    - Alchemy in your meditation?
    - How can you tell that your Zhoutian has been opened?
    - Yin and Yang, Water and Fire?

I just don't see how those discussions can accomplish anything. It's much more fun to talk about:

How to handle your opponent's jab, cross when

- your opponent comes toward you.
    - you come toward your opponent.
    In order to have a conversations about something , you need other people with similar experiences, you can not have a conversation if others don't know have similar experences.

If he comes toward you or you to him are only training drills, not real combat , real will depend on the skill of your opponent. To talk about how you can dominate an inexperienced person is meaningless.