I have grade 3/4 chondromalacia in my left elbow (4 is the worst). Much of the cartilage is gone. Pain comes and goes throughout the day, and sometimes my elbow pops. Sometimes those pops relieve the pain, and sometimes they make it worse.

The doctor doesn't know what caused it because I am in my early 30s and haven't had any traumatic injury to my elbow, nor even a regular injury. What's weird is the pain started during a 9 month break I took from working out

Most people believe cartilage doesn't regenerate so my goal is to keep it from getting any worse. My doctor said glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM might help, so I have started taking those.

I think they are testing some stem cell treatments that can regrow cartilage. Hopefully in 5-10 years that will be perfected.

Any advice for dealing with joint issues/supplements/etc. is appreciated. I've also heard type II collagen supplements may help, but it's hard to find info about that kind of thing.

Most of the results I see in Google for chondromalacia are for the knee. I haven't come across any other references of it affecting an elbow.

Pronounced "con-dro-muh-LAY-shee-uh."