Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elbow MRI results

Elbow MRI results

I have grade 3/4 chondromalacia in my left elbow (4 is the worst). Much of the cartilage is gone. Pain comes and goes throughout the day, and sometimes my elbow pops. Sometimes those pops relieve the pain, and sometimes they make it worse.

The doctor doesn't know what caused it because I am in my early 30s and haven't had any traumatic injury to my elbow, nor even a regular injury. What's weird is the pain started during a 9 month break I took from working out

Most people believe cartilage doesn't regenerate so my goal is to keep it from getting any worse. My doctor said glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM might help, so I have started taking those.

I think they are testing some stem cell treatments that can regrow cartilage. Hopefully in 5-10 years that will be perfected.

Any advice for dealing with joint issues/supplements/etc. is appreciated. I've also heard type II collagen supplements may help, but it's hard to find info about that kind of thing.

Most of the results I see in Google for chondromalacia are for the knee. I haven't come across any other references of it affecting an elbow.

Pronounced "con-dro-muh-LAY-shee-uh."
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Sorry to hear about your luck buddy, look here. Really cheap vitamins, been using the place for years now. Also I hear fish oils help lube up the joints.

http://www.puritan.com/joint-support...-Joint_Support

Personally you might want to try this, get all the pills in one go.

http://www.puritan.com/joint-support...soother-017895

I hope the best for you and hopefully in time with vitamins and supplements you can get as close to 100% as possible.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm also taking fish oil.

That site seems to have some good prices. Is that a legit brand?

From what I have experienced yeah, I believe they own their own factory, which is why it's so cheap. I've never really had a problem with them, just as with anywhere else though you need to make sure what you're going to use is safe. They even say they purify the fish oil to eliminate mercury. That and I get their vitamin book in the mail, and they have seasonal sales and stuff to help you save more. Like I said I've never really had a problem, but some people have reported bad customer service, others report excellent service. I guess it all depends, see how you like it if you want if not check a local vitamin store. Just trying to help a pal save some $ where ya can. Report back later bud.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    boost your vitamin C in addition to the other stuff. the building block for soft tissues.

also, as i understand it, the glucosomine and chondroiten are interdependant (if they have any efficacy at all) so, both + Vit. C and lots and lots of water so there is plenty for those three things to work with

funny, your symptoms sound the same as my left elbow and i've taken damage there multiple times. you sure you never got your elbow popped? could be genetic i guess.

sorry man, best i got. sucks getting old.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

I take their fish oil and I take flax oil, maybe pick up a flax oil. It has different fatty acids than the fish oil

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/f...oil-000304.htm
    Last edited by Raipizo; 12-31-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Oh also I've heard of some stuff called joint juice, not sure how good it works.

your cartilage is GONE? man that sucks. it just disappear spontanesouly?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Make sure that it is glucosamine sulfate and not the ineffective version: glucosamine hydrochloride.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Make sure that it is glucosamine sulfate and not the ineffective version: glucosamine hydrochloride.
    That's what I got

I saw both and did some research to try and find the difference and I saw a few things that said the sulfate version was a bit better, so that's what I got.

IIRC the HCl version is just vegetarian in nature.
    Last edited by IronFist; 12-31-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    boost your vitamin C in addition to the other stuff. the building block for soft tissues.
    Should I take it at the same time?

also, as i understand it, the glucosomine and chondroiten are interdependant (if they have any efficacy at all) so, both + Vit. C and lots and lots of water so there is plenty for those three things to work with
    I've been told that Glucosamine and MSM are the two that help the most and Chondroitin is basically optional, but I figured I'd start with all three just in case. I bought them separately in case I had any bad reactions (like my stomach getting upset) so I could isolate them and see which was causing the issue. If I don't have any issues, going forward I will probably buy them together in a single pill because it's a bit cheaper that way.

Chondroitin is the most expensive by itself.

funny, your symptoms sound the same as my left elbow and i've taken damage there multiple times. you sure you never got your elbow popped? could be genetic i guess.
    Never.

The only thing I could think of was that I was rehabbing my left shoulder for about 9 months (rotator cuff and biceps tendonitis) and I thought maybe I got something out of alignment and that's why I was having elbow pain, although I doubt doing eccentric exercises with a 5 pound weight and ice massage 3 times a day caused elbow damage

I wonder if I had a nutrient lacking from my diet or something.

Iron Fist

I used to Body build with a man who was 44 at the time he had the same problem as you. He would compete in the Mr Universe over 40 and won it 3-4 times. He would always use 1 Tsp of vinegar with Dolemite a plant source of Calcium and magnesium. along with massive 5000 mg dosage of Vitamin C he lifted heavy and I mean real heavy for example 120 # nose breakers and 70# dumbel curls w/o pain. Tryit cant hurt you. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

I have grade 3/4 chondromalacia in my left elbow (4 is the worst). Much of the cartilage is gone. Pain comes and goes throughout the day, and sometimes my elbow pops. Sometimes those pops relieve the pain, and sometimes they make it worse.

The doctor doesn't know what caused it because I am in my early 30s and haven't had any traumatic injury to my elbow, nor even a regular injury. What's weird is the pain started during a 9 month break I took from working out

Most people believe cartilage doesn't regenerate so my goal is to keep it from getting any worse. My doctor said glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM might help, so I have started taking those.

I think they are testing some stem cell treatments that can regrow cartilage. Hopefully in 5-10 years that will be perfected.

Any advice for dealing with joint issues/supplements/etc. is appreciated. I've also heard type II collagen supplements may help, but it's hard to find info about that kind of thing.

Most of the results I see in Google for chondromalacia are for the knee. I haven't come across any other references of it affecting an elbow.

Pronounced "con-dro-muh-LAY-shee-uh."
    in the absence of trauma, idiopathic degredation at one joint can be due to dysfunction of another joint nearby or even more distant, leading to abnormal tensional / compressional forces at the joint in question; as a general rule, when one or more areas are restricted, other area(s) have to move more to make up for it; it's possible (not saying for certain, as I haven't examined you) that you have some restriction at you shoulder, or rib cage or cervical / thoracic spine proximally or forearm / wrist / hand distally that contributes to the breakdown at the elbow; these are general considerations, it's where I'd start looking if I were to treat you; of course, the issue could be anywhere: lumbars, pelvis, hips, cranium: but usually it's the same region or quarter of the body (by the time an ankle dysfunction gets around to causing u headaches, u have used up pretty much every compensatory mechanism in between, lol);

I'd go find a skiled manual therapist (PT, DO, DC, LMT, Rolfer, Tuina, etc.) who understands how to teat the body as an interrelated structure; they should be treating u both locally at the elbow and more globally as well; this may not grow back ur cartiledge, but u might b surprised how it can help relieve ur symptoms nevertheless...

as far as glucosamine, my question has always been as to how this supplement finds its way through ur digestive system into the offending joint in question with such specificity...my personal experience with patients taking it is that either it doesn't work, or they feel better way to quickly for it not to be placebo effect (which is an excellent method of decreasing systemic inflammation, so it's not that it's not real, it's just a different mechanism...);

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I used to Body build with a man who was 44 at the time he had the same problem as you. He would compete in the Mr Universe over 40 and won it 3-4 times. He would always use 1 Tsp of vinegar with Dolemite a plant source of Calcium and magnesium. along with massive 5000 mg dosage of Vitamin C he lifted heavy and I mean real heavy for example 120 # nose breakers and 70# dumbel curls w/o pain. Tryit cant hurt you. KC
    how do u kno that? for all u kno he may have some sensitivities to the above; regardless, i never have subscribed to the "free lunch" theory; meaning that, in my estimation, if something is strong enough to have a real physiological therapeutic effect, then, if taken inappropriately, it can also be harmful; personally, I wouldn't start taking large doses of any substance without consulting with someone trained (nutritionist, herbalist, whatever works for you) and under their supervision;