Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight punch vs. circular punch

Blog Entries

Straight punch vs. circular punch

In Chinese traditional weapon, the best way to deal with a spear stabbing is to use either clockwise circle or counter clockwise circle to redirect the straight line spear attack. As long as your opponent's spear head is not moving toward your chest, you don't care where it may go. Your spear just lead your opponent's spear "into the emptiness".

When your opponent uses jab or cross to punch at your head, your 45 degree downward "haymaker punch" can not only knock his punch out of his striking path, it may even knock his body off balance too. Even if your opponent may attack you first, your counter can reverse the situation 180 degree.

Is "straight punch" truly that effective? What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-04-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In Chinese traditional weapon, the best way to deal with a spear stabbing is to use either clockwise circle or counter clockwise circle to redirect the straight line spear attack. As long as your opponent's spear head is not moving toward your chest, you don't care where it may go. Your spear just lead your opponent's spear "into the emptiness".

When your opponent uses jab or cross to punch at your head, your 45 degree downward "haymaker punch" can not only knock his punch out of his striking path, it may even knock his body off balance too. Even if your opponent may attack you first, your counter can reverse the situation 180 degree.

Typical boxing... Use the lead jab to range out and set up and circle outside the lead hand. If he's right handed, you step around his left to your right. Jab Jab Bang. It's like one of the first things you learn after the very basics Like how to stand and learn diff punches etc. And for the record, YKW, a good jab can do wonders for you. A stiff one can even KO your opponent. You can really pick people apart like that.

Blog Entries
    since all have a time n place they are all effective. its also about how n when
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Even if your opponent may attack you first, your counter can reverse the situation 180 degree.
    It would be a very rare occasion in which a hook as a counter-punch could beat an unanticipated jab.

Any trained fighter should be able to throw two to three consecutive jabs in less than a second, which is much harder to do with hook punches.

And as Syn7 stated, a good jab can be all it takes to KO the enemy.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

In Chinese traditional weapon, the best way to deal with a spear stabbing is to use either clockwise circle or counter clockwise circle to redirect the straight line spear attack.
    There is no best way, all ways are opinionated and are not without flaws.

The straight is very effective. Here's some of the best.

http://youtu.be/IBnBcGst5CI

I am frequently attacked with spears.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries
    The nice thing about haymaker punch is if you use stealing step and spin your body with it, you can move your body out of your opponent's striking path, your full body spinning can generate a lot of power to knock your opponent off balance. Not only you can connect it with head lock, if your opponent dodges under your haymaker punch, you can reverse it and get your opponent a reverse head lock (guillotine). This is the "water" strategy. You spin with your opponent's attack. To be able to spin your body along with your opponent's punch is a very important skill in the throwing art.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Yeah but you can get KO'd that way if they follow along and beat you to it with a stiff jab which takes the piss out of your haymaker. I'm just sayin, it happens. Not that I don't love a nice wide looping punch. I like all the tools in my bag. Some I use more than others, but they are all useful at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Yeah but you can get KO'd that way if they follow along and beat you to it with a stiff jab which takes the piss out of your haymaker. I'm just sayin, it happens. Not that I don't love a nice wide looping punch. I like all the tools in my bag. Some I use more than others, but they are all useful at some point.
    Yeah it can be pretty easy to just throw a jab when someone throws a haymaker..but if they start it with the back fist swinging with the opposite hand, (like you see in southern styles) it closes the gap and flows a lot better.

I always have the best luck landing jabs and a regular backfist...they just seem to be the easiest for me to connect with...I try to work a haymaker, (with technique), but I never feel like it has any strength when I throw it on the heavy bag, nothing like a clean hook. It may just be the angle doesn't lend itself well to hitting a regular heavy bag, (like with an upper cut), but it always leaves me feeling skeptical.

The nice thing about haymaker punch is if you use stealing step and spin your body with it, you can move your body out of your opponent's striking path, your full body spinning can generate a lot of power to knock your opponent off balance. Not only you can connect it with head lock, if your opponent dodges under your haymaker punch, you can reverse it and get your opponent a reverse head lock (guillotine). This is the "water" strategy. You spin with your opponent's attack. To be able to spin your body along with your opponent's punch is a very important skill in the throwing art.
    This is a good strategy.

It works well against martial artists who have the habit of keeping their arm extended after a punch (a definite "no-no"), or grapplers who are reaching.

However, quick jabs from mature fighters do not lend themselves well to that type of strategy.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

both are useful and both should be in your arsenal,

By and large hooks and overhands have more power and more ability to hurt of a single shot so in situations where you dont have the time to set things up in a nice combination: like a street fight or MMA fight where one side is looking to close the gap quickly hooks and overhands can be very useful

But they need setting up correctly and you need a tight guard when using them but dont all attacks lol

look at jim millers last ufc fight for a good example of how powerful hooks and overhands can destroy a straight puncher and really put you on the defensive

if your opponent dodges under your haymaker punch, you can reverse it and get your opponent a reverse head lock (guillotine).
    I call b.s. This sounds like something out of a movie. If your opponent slips or bob and weave's your over hand you have no guillotine. There's not enough time for you to change the direction of your swing before your opponent either A. moves B. owns your kidney and liver or C. counters with a 3, 2 combination followed by a round kick to your nose

You always seem to only talk about basic novice mechanics, their are so many variables of what makes something work or not work it is stupid to argue them, anything can work if one person is better at adjustment than the other person.

Have all the tools, and try to use the correct tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You always seem to only talk about basic novice mechanics, their are so many variables of what makes something work or not work it is stupid to argue them, anything can work if one person is better at adjustment than the other person.

That and the ridiculous comparisons between things that have no relation. Spear fighting is not empty handed fighting. Blade fighting is not empty handed fighting. Each has their own special mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

I understand exactly what he's doing. He's been doing MA's for a long time. He has reached a point in his life where has started reverse engineering and reassessing basic mechanics on a deeper level.