Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Straight punch vs. circular punch

Blog Entries
    When you use haymaker, which part of your arm or fist do you use it to hit? In SC, we use the forearm inside sharp bone (similiar to the roundhouse kick shin bone). People may say that you can hit with any part of your arm. But some place is still better than another.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Maybe. I like the other one better though. But you could be right. But for the record, proper use of a scythe involves more pulling than swinging. But I imagine many got lazy with it and treated it like some machete.

Using a sythe sucks btw. You drop the tip, push, twist the tip up, pull.

So fucking slow. Great workout and neat weapon tho. All farm ork in the right amount is great exercise. That's why farmboys kick ass in wrestling so often.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you use haymaker, which part of your arm or fist do you use it to hit? In SC, we use the forearm inside sharp bone (similiar to the roundhouse kick shin bone). People may say that you can hit with any part of your arm. But some place is still better than another.
    Typically I see most people use the first two knuckles. Obviously a wild swing means a random contact, which may not go so well for your hand.

As for alternatives, I like the top of the hand if conditioned for it, end of forearm, and sometimes I use my last three knuckles when the angle is right for it on a wide hook. That's just me tho. I'm more of a fist blade claw guy than a 67587 hand form guy. I punch, slice, grab, claw etc. I don't use "monkey beaks" that's for sure!!!

When you use haymaker, which part of your arm or fist do you use it to hit?
    Two big knuckles, thumb turned down. Looks like the casting punch in Sambo.

When you use haymaker, which part of your arm or fist do you use it to hit? In SC, we use the forearm inside sharp bone (similiar to the roundhouse kick shin bone).
    Same for Praying Mantis huen choi.

Some people prefer fist, but I like the closer range, power, and additional follow ups with forearm.

Also mine is more body torque than wide arm swing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    In fencing, there are straight attacks and circular attacks. Bruce Lee poached a lot of JKD theory from fencing theory, as being that fencing is a western discipline, it's theory is very logic driven, almost mathematical. In fact, Bruce may have even poached this very aphorism, but it's been a long time since I've engaged his JKD writings, so I can't remember for sure..
    You may recall his younger brother was a fencer.

on scythes and swords

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Maybe. I like the other one better though. But you could be right. But for the record, proper use of a scythe involves more pulling than swinging. But I imagine many got lazy with it and treated it like some machete.
    Excellent point and I'm somewhat inclined to agree, at least in terms of the origin the word 'haymaker'. All blades involve some pulling or pushing of the cut to be maximally effective, even hatchets to some degree, but I hear what your saying. Of course, the western farm usage probably derives from a large two-handed scythe, like what the Grim Reaper might use. For a fast scythe, there's always kama. But then, the motion of a kama doesn't reflect that of a haymaker at all, so there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    You may recall his younger brother was a fencer.
    So was Bruce. He credits fencing texts in Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I have often argued that many JKD proponents don't really understand Bruce's JKD theory because they haven't engaged fencing theory. They commonly misconstrue or misinterpret terms and meanings because they are ignorant of their origins. Fencing theory is a brilliant way to describe combat, but it really only works for fencing. If you add attacks by anything other than sword vs. sword, it breaks down.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In Chinese traditional weapon, the best way to deal with a spear stabbing is to use either clockwise circle or counter clockwise circle to redirect the straight line spear attack. As long as your opponent's spear head is not moving toward your chest, you don't care where it may go. Your spear just lead your opponent's spear "into the emptiness".

When your opponent uses jab or cross to punch at your head, your 45 degree downward "haymaker punch" can not only knock his punch out of his striking path, it may even knock his body off balance too. Even if your opponent may attack you first, your counter can reverse the situation 180 degree.

Is "straight punch" truly that effective? What's your opinion on this?
    straight is fast and direct.

circular travels longer distance

both has its place in practice and application.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    circular travels longer distance ...
    It depends on whether it's a big circle or a small circle.

When you use circular move to interrupt a straingt line, you can interrupt near the starting point of the straight line, you can also interrupt near the ending point of the straight line. Even if the circular move may travel more distance, If your circle is "small", the moment that yor strat your circle, you already interrupt your opponent's straight line even before contact. You pretty much let your opponent's straight line to "run into your circle".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.

So was Bruce. He credits fencing texts in Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I have often argued that many JKD proponents don't really understand Bruce's JKD theory because they haven't engaged fencing theory. They commonly misconstrue or misinterpret terms and meanings because they are ignorant of their origins. Fencing theory is a brilliant way to describe combat, but it really only works for fencing. If you add attacks by anything other than sword vs. sword, it breaks down.

It is what it is. But as far as I can see, the principles broken down to their simplest are quite transferable. I'm no fencing expert, but I do have a relatively decent grasp on the art and have a huge admiration for the sheer beauty and simplicity of it all.

Blog Entries
    The Chinese weapon is just the extention of the arms. The following Miao Diao techniques are identically to the "crazy monkey" that you comb your left hair and then comb your right hair. In both SC and preying mantis, it's called 挂(Gua).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFddPoWgy0o

挂(Gua) can be seen at 0.03.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOu26fMY5iU
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-09-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Fencing theory is a brilliant way to describe combat, but it really only works for fencing. If you add attacks by anything other than sword vs. sword, it breaks down.
    Brendan Lai had fencing background. A lot of his speed method is same as in fencing.

Praying Mantis kwun lao palm attack is feint disengage and second intention.

Blog Entries
    The shortest distance between 2 points is the straight line. But if the distance is too short, you have to use circular motion to generate power. The praying mantis "Mo Pan Shou", "waist chop" are good examples.

spj
    straight is fast and direct.
    circular travels longer distance

both has its place in practice and application.
    agreed however this depends on how you look at it, everything is circular, you cant really doa straight punch, depends on apex range distance etc etc circular gains momentum which can be faster than a straight strike.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."