Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight punch vs. circular punch

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    That and the ridiculous comparisons between things that have no relation. Spear fighting is not empty handed fighting. Blade fighting is not empty handed fighting. Each has their own special mechanics.
    Maybe, but the same laws of physics apply to both. A straight thing moving forward is a straight thing moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I understand exactly what he's doing. He's been doing MA's for a long time. He has reached a point in his life where has started reverse engineering and reassessing basic mechanics on a deeper level.
    Agreed!

I wouldn't underestimate John Wang.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

I wouldn't underestimate John Wang.
    Agreed. And rather than criticizing the way he describes what he is thinking, I suggest people take note. And if his analogies don't make sense to you, like maybe you don't know spear as well as he does, come up with your own and discuss them here in order to find some consensus for a bridge in order to create a solid base to build from in the discussion. Personally, I love how John is taking it back like this. It tells me he doesn't rest on his laurels and is always trying to grow and build. That he is never self satisfied, never feeling like he can't rework his stuff. IMO that should be a continuous state. As soon as you believe you are in a place where you don't need to question your stuff, you are putting yourself in a loosing position. Never stop growing. Static is dangerous.

My questions would be:
    1. Is one a puncher or a grappler?
    2. Is this offensive or defensive? perhaps both?
    3. Are the feet involved? Obviously one is standing but is utility /function in tripping, trapping, hand/foot coordination
    4. Is one seizing, punching, blocking/parrying, etc
    5. How fas can one run? other than dodging bullets!
    6. Is one grappling?

I hate to go" fortune cookie" on you but the straight is crooked and the crooked is straight

IMHO John Wang is one of the sites most respected Martial artists and posters on this board. Through his humble questions he has more knowledge and time in MA then most of you have been alive and I have 31 years and hes got me beat by far.

Do not judge peoples skills by their posts, judge them by their knowledge of said posts or cross hands. I find his involvement on here refreshing and his way of drawing opinions and comments from all of you will continue to shed new light and keep the forum posting every day with things that I might not have thought about and skipped over taking many things for granted when you learn for many years.

If members like John wasn't here asking these questions we would be back to posting pics of girl in bikinis and no where near the frequency of posts ... Keep the questions coming John, no matter how much you learn it always goes back to the basics............
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    If members like John wasn't here asking these questions we would be back to posting pics of girl in bikinis ...
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

YKW is just being a polite troll.

Effectiveness is not about any individual technique.

Next, someone will ask if single leg stance is effective.

I think YKW is bored

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I think YKW is bored
    After you have retired, when someone tells you that to "watch the blue sky and white cloud" can still be a full time job, don't believe him.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    After you have retired, when someone tells you that to "watch the blue sky and white cloud" can still be a full time job, don't believe him.
    Haha. Planning to retire in 5 years, if not sooner.

I have way too much stuff I want to do for me ever to get bored

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I understand exactly what he's doing. He's been doing MA's for a long time. He has reached a point in his life where has started reverse engineering and reassessing basic mechanics on a deeper level.

I am waiting for the deeper level, I think he is bored and trying to get something going so he has something to do, he needs to look deeper for sure. But staying at body level mechanics is not looking deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I am waiting for the deeper level, I think he is bored and trying to get something going so he has something to do, he needs to look deeper for sure. But staying at body level mechanics is not looking deeper.
    Sometimes, after many years of study, one needs to backtrack and rework the basics to make new branches of knowledge for yourself. This happens with anything. Physics, for example. You learn "A force is a push or a pull" the first day and over time you learn things like thermodynamics, nuclear mechanics, shit gets deep, quantum mechanics, general relativity, they go right back to the basics and rather than get convoluted and stuffed up, they seek the simplest truths. The very basics of the basics. The beginnings. The structure and connection from alpha to omega. By doing this, they contemplate the very nature of everything. To do this in MA's means you have put in a lot of time and are seeking new ways of thinking in order to continue expanding and growing as a martial artist.

This is something everyone should understand. When something is unnecessarily complicated, it's a lie. A coverup of sorts. When something complicated is broken down and simplified, that is true genius. Maybe you just aren't there yet and haven't seen anything through in your life to such an extent. Some never do, and it's sad. But hopefully, eventually, this truth reveals itself to you.

Maybe so Syn but sometimes YKW as such ridiculously oversimplified questions that it seems he is either trolling, an idiot, or is playing with a short deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Maybe so Syn but sometimes YKW as such ridiculously oversimplified questions that it seems he is either trolling, an idiot, or is playing with a short deck.
    Nah, I think he just has a lot of time on his hands and has decided to rework his shit. I mos def don't think he's purposely trying to seem obtuse for some weird agenda. I think he has thoughts and throws them out there just to see where they go. As a B-Boy, I got to a point where flying around the room lost it's luster and I went back and re-worked the basics, came up with whole new styles. Stuff a true B-Boy would see and totally understand, but wouldn't get that crazy crowd reaction like a simple airflare will.

I dunno, I get it. Maybe he's crazy, but then that means I am too. But then neither of my personalities likes that idea!

If you dig through the earth, pass the center and keep digging, are you still getting deeper? Nothing in life is a straight line. Linear thought is just a mechanism. Everything comes full circle, so to speak.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-06-2013 at 02:21 AM.

I think more along the lines of a little of each.

Like the saying, a punch is like a punch, and a kick is like a kick, but when you are a novice it was different, you need to move ahead and not dwell on the piece : i.e. , punch, kick , step ect.

Blog Entries
    I do like to make thing simple. I have always believed that if you

- don't let your opponent to put weight on his leading leg, he can't punch you.
    - have a good front kick, you can use it to stop all the incoming punches.
    - can get your opponent a head lock, where his head goes, his body will follow.

When your opponent suddently just jumps out of a dark alley, comes at you with full force, and tries to knock your head off. What will be your first response at that particular moment?

If you move back, your opponent's forward momentum can run you down. If you don't want to back up, you have to fight on your ground. To spin your body with your punch is one of the best solutions for that situation. If your opponent charges in fast enough, your haymaker punch can even hit on the back of your opponent's head. Since you don't know whether your opponent attacks you with a knife or not, to be able to spin your body outside of your opponent's striking path is important.

I has great successful rate on this move in the past. One time I used haymaker punch to knock down a 200 lb challenger from vertical to horizontal before his body even dropped onto the ground horizontally. It can be a great 1st line defense if you are good at it. Besides to use your front kick to stop incoming attacker, the 45 degree downward haymaker punch is the best 1st line defense when you still don't know what has just happened. It's such an important move, IMO everybody should spend training time to develop it.

The 45 degree downward haymaker punch can be seen in these 2 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvdERnYRtTw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLiZDsssN0
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument