Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Straight punch vs. circular punch

Blog Entries
    People use haymaker in street fight a lot. Sometime they even keep their eyes closed and contact with only the inside part of the fist. Chinese call it Wang Ba Quan. A good jab and cross most time are only used by people with serious training.

I do like the solo training in this form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=t_uYiYGONfM
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-07-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I agree about the jab as a range assessment. Even as the "bread and butter", but I do not consider upper cuts, hooks, crosses overhands etc to be "finishers". I know it's not your typical western boxing, but I have combos that jab cross hook hook jab jab, for example. If you go down on a bigger punch, cool, but I don't rely on that. I go back to jab to regain control. If I'm connecting hard I may keep going with some upper cuts or whatever, but I use the jab to get out just as much as I use it to get in. Quite often I find I can back out of the pocket after a nice hook, but I don't rely on it. Like anybody else, I call it in the moment. Ofcourse I'm not a straight up boxer, I use my legs too, and that changes EVERYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    In fencing, there is an aphorism that says (and forgive my paraphrasing as I don't know the original source) 'A straight attack beats a circular one; a circular attack beats a straight one'. If that seems like some sort of zen koan to you, you might spend a little more time sparring.
    I've heard that for as long as I've trained Kung Fu. Straight line beats a circle, a circle beats a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    If you ever get the chance to watch a prison brawl the haymaker is one of the most common strikes thrown. Grab with one hand and haymaker with the other, sort of like a hockey fight. Then, of course the stomp or kick once the opponent is down.
    I'd say the haymaker is the most common punch thrown in any street fight situation. It's the instinctive punch. That makes me glad that KF systems have found ways to employ it following various other techniques, which minimizes the risk of being wide open. A lot of other styles simply don't practice the haymaker because it leaves you open.

It's always a good idea to refine and perfect instinctive movements than to attempt to never use them. IMO, at least.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    A lot of other styles simply don't practice the haymaker because it leaves you open.
    If you can use open to force your opponent to close and put him in defense mode, that will be your advantage. One TCMA joke states:

Those who trains iron

- palm will always hit others.
    - body will always be hit by others.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you can use open to force your opponent to close and put him in defense mode, that will be your advantage. One TCMA joke states:

Those who trains iron

- palm will always hit others.
    - body will always be hit by others.
    Haha. What about kao da?

The best punch is the one that lands when you need it to and KO's the MOFU !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The hay maker is kind of like the theory behind the hail marry pass in football.

Well, it's very easy to demonstrate in fencing

In fencing, there are straight attacks and circular attacks. Bruce Lee poached a lot of JKD theory from fencing theory, as being that fencing is a western discipline, it's theory is very logic driven, almost mathematical. In fact, Bruce may have even poached this very aphorism, but it's been a long time since I've engaged his JKD writings, so I can't remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I've heard that for as long as I've trained Kung Fu. Straight line beats a circle, a circle beats a straight line.
    Oh bother. If only I had said it was an ancient Chinese saying, I could have come off like Master Po.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

To me, a haymaker is just a wild swinging punch. It's not a real term. An overhand right is an overhand right. A wide hook is a wide hook. A tight hook is a tight hook. I dunno why people feel the need to overcomplicate this shit. It's a slang term for wild swinging punch. I imagine it's origin is rooted in wide hooks and overhands etc, and was adapted into the "i dunno how to fight" john wayne type culture.

In my view a haymaker is the instinctual punch an untrained person throws instinctively when they want to hit someone as hard as they can in the head. It has a lot of overlap with what in some FMA/Kali circles would be a "#1", or caveman swing with a stick.
    -Golden Arms-

Haymakers

"Haymaker" is a slang of unknown origin and it has certainly degraded in the common vernacular to mean a range of wide powerful punches, the skill of which is not necessarily a factor as some consider haymakers KO punches, particularly in the old boxing usage. Some also consider haymakers wild and imperfect. Some say 'haymaker' derived from the slang 'hit the hay' meaning 'go to sleep' as in KO. Some say haymaker refers to the wide arc of a scythe used to cut hay.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    "Haymaker" is a slang of unknown origin and it has certainly degraded in the common vernacular to mean a range of wide powerful punches, the skill of which is not necessarily a factor as some consider haymakers KO punches, particularly in the old boxing usage. Some also consider haymakers wild and imperfect. Some say 'haymaker' derived from the slang 'hit the hay' meaning 'go to sleep' as in KO. Some say haymaker refers to the wide arc of a scythe used to cut hay.
    I think its about hitting the hay. A sleeper. Two guys fight, one swings wild and hard and connects. Opponent goes to sleep, ideally.

syn
    It's a slang term for wild swinging punch. I imagine it's origin is rooted in wide hooks and overhands etc, and was adapted into the "i dunno how to fight" john wayne type culture.
    A the word comes form the tool and the movement of the body and arm combo of cutting hay. much like Gene already mentioned....

Some say haymaker refers to the wide arc of a scythe used to cut hay.
    it does not mean wild punch this is a bad interpretation of the orgin. mus like people say coincidence is something random that happens when actuality its 2 perfect line that co-inside and perfectly meet
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."