Thread: Just Moved to Queens

Just Moved to Queens

Hello,

I just moved to Queens (Astoria to be exact). Are there any traditional kung fu schools in the area?
    I had been taking northern mantis for a few years in Chicago- I did love the style but would be open to checking out another style.
    Thanks

stick with mantis, you will never outgrow nor be disappointed in this style.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

your right next to major subways so it won't be a problem going from 1 borough to another pretty quickly.

Here are some names to look up:

Carl Albright - http://www.lawclansman.com/

Raul Ortiz - http://www.ortizacademy.com/

tony Chuy - http://www.northernmantis.com/

there are definetly others out there as well.

There's New York Hung Ga in Chelsea: www.newyorkhungga.com

Thanks for the replies guys-
    but are there any legit places in queens?

its new york, you have tons of traditional martial arts places, even in queens. depends on the style you are looking for.

is the best way to find them the internet? in queens, i cant really find too much online. is there any other way to find some schools or good sites to use to find them?

dude, you live in Astoria, which is so close to Manhattan (which is full of TCMA and also the reason anyone moves to NYC anyway) via subway travel-wise it's not even funny, yet you want something "closer" in Queens? u mad bro? first, unless you stay in the Astoria area, it would likely take you more time to anywhere via bus / subway in Queens; the other thing is that, unless you go to Flushing (relatively near Astoria), you probably won't find much anyway; that said, WTF? you want to study TCMA and live in NY, which has a huge choice of schools in Manhattan, and but don't want to be inconvenienced by a little travel? I used to schlep 2-3x / week from Manhattan to Bensonhurst to see my sifu, which was an hour and 15 min by subway each way; when I switched schools, I travelled 45 min each direction ~3x / week; I know lots of people who have done the same; trust me, Astoria to Manhattan is nothing compared to some of the commuting that people do btw boroughs...

as far as not being able to find them online, I don't know what sort of Googling skills u have, but when I put in "kung fu Queens New York" not only did it list the main schools in the area, it took me to a major directory page; so don't know what the problem is here;

either you are seriously lazy or just trolling (frankly, your screen name suggests the latter); cut the cr@p, get off ur asz, and start doing a little leg work like a good NY'er...

all that said, if u do your homework and then want information about a specific school or teacher, there r lots of us New Yorker's on here who would be able to speak to specifics...

Welcome to life these days folks. Everyone wants everything within arms reach or it's too far. Hey, there's a good school 30 min away from you....30 min?? sheesh you mad man. You mean i have to walk to the subway and ride 30 min?

What happen to the old days......

*bows head in shame**

either you are seriously lazy or just trolling (frankly, your screen name suggests the latter); cut the cr@p, get off ur asz, and start doing a little leg work like a good NY'er...

he is name himself sloth
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

whoa whoa whoa- i feel like this has taken an unfortunate turn. Maybe my questions have been a little sloth-like. let me address a few things:

as for not wanting to travel to Manhattan- yes, I will completely own that. I am currently at a school in Manhattan. I’ve got a daughter at home- whereas I’m out of the house as she’s waking up and with my current school I don’t get home until 9-930pm which is well after her bedtime- that really doesn’t work for me if I’m training 3+ times a week. If I can stop home and spend some time with her and my wife before I head out again, that would make a world of difference to me.
    Additionally, getting around queens is fairly easy for me considering I have a car.

For schools I’ve found on the internet:
    I’ve been to the martialartsny.com directory. Unfortunately this site is not longer updated. I don’t think it has not been updated since around 2009. On that site there were two schools that interested me were:
    Dachengdao Int’l
    NY Wu Tang
    Does anyone know about these two schools? I haven’t had a chance to make it out to either of them yet.

The other schools I’ve found were either Wu Shu (which I’d rather not do), Shaolin (which I have heard it’s more forms than sparring/practical applications (which may not be true- please correct me if I am)), and few Wing Chun schools and a hung gar school (which I observed a few classes or both- I prefer the northern styles).

I’ve been to Tony Chuy’s school in Manhattan- I really liked what I saw there. It was very similar to my old school in Chicago. I was hoping to find a place like that in the area or at least in Flushing.

I also had contacted Sifu Carl Albright- he had told me he is not taking on any new students. I haven’t been to Sifu Raul Ortiz’s school- traffic on the GCP and LIE are brutal after work.