Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun forms

Wing Chun forms

I was wondering, in what order did each of you learn the forms (Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Tze, wooden man, dragon pole, and butterfly knives)? Also what was the time between each form you have learned, for example, a person learning Chum Kiu 2 years after learning Sil Lim Tao? I heard some instructors teach each empty hand forms withing the first year of training, and others span the forms out through a whole decade of training.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NiN View Post
    I was wondering, in what order did each of you learn the forms (Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Tze, wooden man, dragon pole, and butterfly knives)? Also what was the time between each form you have learned, for example, a person learning Chum Kiu 2 years after learning Sil Lim Tao? I heard some instructors teach each empty hand forms withing the first year of training, and others span the forms out through a whole decade of training.
    Just MHO ... (this applies to some schools) the longer you have to wait, the more you had to pay.

Most schools.

SLT > CK > BG > Dummy > Pole > Swords

Now I've seen some schools teach the dummy before BG because they feel the student has enough footwork training to go to the dummy (I disagree). Others teach it that early, or earlier, just to keep people around because of the common misconception that it's the ultimate training tool.

SLT > CK > BJ

Dummy and weapons are generally taught in parallel in seminar formats with some revision in class.

Several over-generalisations by other posters about motivations for teaching a particular way IMO.

Forms are an important part of training but hardly the only thing on which pedagogy should be based. For example you should be learning some footwork and kicking well before you do CK IMO.

It just ain't that complicated, despite some people perhaps wishing it were or pretending it is.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Sometimes the first bit of the dummy set which contains mostly SNT and CK ideas will be taught after these sets, then BJ will be taught before going on to the rest of the dummy which introduces more BJ type concepts.

SLT - CK - First 60 movements of the Dummy and Long Pole begins - BJ and last dummy movements - knives is dependent on the student and is normally taught at the instructors discretion.

I am still considered a novice since I have been only been doing wing chun for about a year so I am still on Sil Lim Tao. The newest form we are working on is a tai chi form. I am 90% sure we are going to work on CK next.

At our school, we learn Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee, Dummy, Long Pole, and finally Butterfly Swords. However, there are many things taught before actually learning the form to get us ready for it. Once the student has learned Sil Lim Tao well enough along with the drills and applications, he is introduced to Huen Ma stepping from the Biu Jee form and also the battle punches in the low horse stance to prepare for the long pole training. The thinking is that if you practice these drills early on and get good at them, then when you actually learn the form, you'll be a lot better at them since you're already used to the feeling and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Judokarl View Post
    I am still considered a novice since I have been only been doing wing chun for about a year so I am still on Sil Lim Tao. The newest form we are working on is a tai chi form. I am 90% sure we are going to work on CK next.
    There is no Tai Chi in Wing Chun unless your Teacher has substituted something through lack of understanding

There is no Tai Chi in Wing Chun
    Duh.

He didn't say there was. His teacher probably does taiji as well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Tze, wooden man, dragon pole when doing Yip Man WC,
    though the dummy was given in certain sections along with Chum Kiu and Biu Gee. Completed all in 2 years at about 20-25 hours/week.

My first Sifu only taught swords to about 5 people I'm aware of (of which I was not one), his exact words after seeing the HFY swords were that in comparison, the YM swords were not worth teaching... so he stopped teaching them.

In Hung Fa Yi it's been

Basic Wing Chun Formula, Basic Siu Nim Tao, first 3 sections of the short bridge dummy, Jaam Jong Faat Geng, Basic version of Chum Kiu, Dip Gwat Gung Siu Lein Tao, Bai Jong Baat Bo Jin, Saam Bo Jin, Long Bridge Dummy, Saap Ming Dim Siu Lein Tao, Advanced Siu Nim Tao, standardized Wing Chun Formula.

Hoping to graduate to Advanced Chum Kiu in the summer hopefully along with the dragon/tiger short pole (Lung Fu Gwan), there's a heavy chi sao requirement on that first though.

That's where I'm at after starting HFY in 2005, average of 15 hours a week long distance until late 2011, which I'm now local to my sifu and putting in about 10 hours/week (he has fewer classes).

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Duh.

He didn't say there was. His teacher probably does taiji as well.
    In my opinion when he says the newest from they are working on is tai on a wing chun forum that means there is wc in his tc anerlich you putz!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Advanced Chum Kiu
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
    My current teacher taught a basic version of Chum Kiu back in the early 2000's to members of our org because they had WC backgrounds and wanted to learn some of chum kiu, but it's not the full version.

We're calling it "advanced" to delineate the versions, but it's basically what Chum Kiu is really supposed to be as far as our lineage is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    In my opinion when he says the newest from they are working on is tai on a wing chun forum that means there is wc in his tc anerlich you putz!
    You are entitled to incorrect opinions. I would say you have them about Phil's videos, after all.

You need to work on some better insults. "Putz" is pretty lame.

Work on your typing, too. People might think you are getting emotional when you make so many mistakes.
    Last edited by anerlich; 01-11-2013 at 11:40 PM.