Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk about Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I look very smart now that I have lost all that weight, don't I!

Chicks Dig ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i have a stick i sometimes take with me when walking the dog, im 6ft and 230 pounds so people tend to not jump me stick or no stick, and with the amount of injuries i have from grappling, MMA and powerlifting i actually need the stick sometimes lol
    Anything to give you the advantage...that's the essence of traditional..dirty fighting, especially for a little guy like myself.

I think of strange things to use all the time. Today I was walking back in the woods, down a snowmobile trail to my cabin. We get a lot of idiot out of state guys here who will blow by you at 90 mph and not move over at all if your walking along the trail. I've almost been hit, even having moved well off the trail, by inconsiderate out of towners. I think of what would happen if I yelled at some guy or threw something in retaliation and he gets off the sled to rumble.

It's a weird situation, your dressed so heavily, kicks would have to be waist or lower, joint locking is greatly hindered, you got heavy gloves so you lose a little in punching and the dude on the sled has the distinct advantage of having a helmet to take off and clock you on the head with. (Or leave on so you can't hit him in the head.)

Today I had a Gatorade bottle of gas to put on my spark plugs if my sled wouldn't start. I figured I got enough time to open the bottle of gas to throw in my imaginary attackers eyes; and get the glove off my right hand for a follow up punch.

I don't know if I'm paranoid or bored, lol.

I've had idiots swerve right next to me while I was hunting along the trail before. It takes a pretty stupid person to be that disrespectful of a guy with a shotgun. They do that to someone wired a bit looser than me and they might not be found 'til spring.

Oh well, It's only 'til April. Then they're gone, until the salmon run in the fall...

Next time you're hunting and that happens let a shot off into the ground right after just to make them sheet themselves.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Next time you're hunting and that happens let a shot off into the ground right after just to make them sheet themselves.
    I almost did once...those kind of people will end up wrapped around a tree or taking a head on with another sled, going over a blind hill on the wrong side of the trail...just wish natural selection was a bit quicker.

Authenticity and Chinese Weapons

I'm presenting a webinar on 'Authenticity and Chinese Weapons' as part of the USAWKF Online Seminar Series. This is one of seven LIVE Zoom sessions on Chinese Martial Arts. My session is 7PM EDT or 4PM PDT. Visit the USAWKF website or the USAWKF Facebook page for details.

THREADS
    Let-s-Talk-about-Weapons
    My-personal-blog
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Today

I am presenting a special webinar “Authenticity and Chinese Weapons” today at 4PM PDT.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION via ZOOM! www.zoom.us/j/98601911331

There will be a 10 min Q&A at the end of the presentation.

Watch on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...atch_permalink.

TUNE IN, TURN ON, NERD OUT.

THREADS
    Let-s-Talk-about-Weapons
    My-personal-blog
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Authenticity and Chinese Weapons with Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Gene Done Good EMJ

You did really good--organizing the talk, remembering as much as you did- talking to so many... Even the mild verbiage--I could find nuggets of information.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries

Staff Names

Eyebrow height Staff, neat!

Rat tail staff nifty.

Watch this... Bo Staff. It's a staff but when you are trying to pick-up a language it seems one might use both languages almost as if thinking they are using the foreign name while wanting the name understood.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries

Okinawan Chinese Hands Preceding Chinese Kung-Fu...Geeeeeene?

12:43 "Chinese Kung-Fu was preceded by Okinawan Karate."Gene Ching;'Authenticity and Chinese Weapons with Gene Ching' .?. I thought some Chinese people went to Okinawa when it was its own country-and Chinese Artisans taught Empty Hand and original symbol for Kara-te meant Chinese Hand(s). Since Okinawan Chinese Hands came from Chinese, then Okinawan Karate would not precede Chinese Kung-Fu.-Ernie Moore Jr.

No_Know

Blog Entries
    Okinawan Bo Staff Not Good for Shooting Out. Thank you for pointing-out that the Bo staff has a special shape not straight like the Jo-Staff. I am thinking:

1. It is like a lance (as in Jousting) handle--or a lance is half a Bo but with a handle...and pointed :-> -EMJ
    2. Okinawan weapons are from farm implements.
    3. Carrying water or pales/buckets was done on both sides at once the thick middle was a variation of a yolk like wood piece; as the Brazilian slaves incorporated attacks and defenses in dances as they were allowed to dance, the flatter yoke might have been rounded to still be balanced for grain and baskets and water and stands(perhaps) but also the back/shoulder-perhaps with a padding to soften-not feel the middle ridge when carrying something.-EMJ
    4. The middle ridged Bo Staff is Good for ski-skee-thrust move or a short shooting out.-EMJ
    5. Samurai attack in groups--the attacker of an Okinawan was most likely a Japanese bladesman--a Bo might be comparable to Samurai short sword --wakasashi, and although shorter than several Long swords--katana, it gave a chance to rotate to deflect and then quickly strike or make powerful controlled short moves fast to get in and hit or hit attackers at different positions around the defender.-Ernie Moore Jr.
    6. Half an eyebrow high staff has reach over a dagger or long knife or tanto (not the keemosabee of the Lone Ranger).-EMJ
    7. The middle ridge of a Bo allowed for a powerful thrust or minor shooting-out with a reduction in losing good leverage hand positioning of slipping-through the grasp...even with dusty to muddy hands the ridge helped keep the Bo stuck within the grasp on either side.-EMJ
    8. In the heat of a fight for Life or to keep from injury, the ridge served as a marker to know how much weapon you had to work with, without looking much as the 5 on a nine keypad had a nub or a typewriter machine got a ridge on keys F and J to help orient by feel.-Ernie Moore Jr.
    9 Most well known Japanese weapons that are non-bladed, except Kama-scythe [see both languages-the foreign word and a word to explain that word-EMJ], are Kobujitsu--Okinawan farm things used for weaponry.-Ernie Moore Jr.

No_Know

Blog Entries

Staff Weapon Design-Use might tell About Attacker Style-In Front versus Surround

12:28-39

You don't usually see that in Chinese Martial Arts...so-Chinese fight from one end of a staff-they want distance. Okinawan's Bo fight primarily from the middle--they want quick attacks multiple direction. I'm thinking the country has styles of attackers--Japan attackers surround. Chinese attackers spread-out in front.-Ernie Moore Jr.

Sweeping, bumping moves with distance to fend-off, deflect. Or just single or a few opponents initially in front, in China.-EMJ

Short knocking, thrusting moves with slight footwork, to go back and forth, strike then pull-into core for strength--rooted power moves done quickly, in Okinawa.-EMJ

No_Know

Blog Entries

Okinawans Cannot Afford The Luxury To Shoot-Out A Staff -EMJ

Shooting out a staff against a Samurai/Ronin is as good as throwing a spear in China--too much of a commitment. If you miss you essentially are weaponless. In Africa and the Americas, and Europe you throw spears/javalin because they attack in groups and you defend in groups with mightbe back-up spears to again throw one. In China they hold on to the end. In China an attackers sword is two and a half feet plus half the attackers arm-jian. In Okinawa a Japanese Samurai attacker has two and a quarter feet but a long handle held close to the hilt for mobility-leverage-flexibility and uses two hands for power but less reach than in China which uses double edged hybrid Rapier-Broadsword.-Ernie Moore Jr.

You don't fight Samurai trained persons. The weapons are weight and length designed for wielding, efficiency, power of force, balance and curved and edged to slice and pierce. If you can grab something you want Short and retainable which is why perhaps one can "flip" Okninawan weapons:bo, sai, nunchaku, tonfa/tuifa. You strong framer-villager extend Too far your staff you are disarmed because you can't hold it after a clash. Because he cuts-off your arms you over extended trying to commit a thrust passed his guard. Because the tip need only be deflected if you hold-on with one hand; he comes-in or you and hold it it is too heavy at extension for one's grip. And if you extend with two hands you need to be able to pull it back to block of he passes your extension attack.-Ernie Moore Jr.

So as I see-it, Okinawans cannot afford the luxury to Shoot-out a Bo.-Ernie Moore Jr.

Blog Entries

Polearms 18 Traditional Chinese Weapons-What Do You Call That?

15:13

Might call that a Snake-Tongue Halberd. Or Snake-Tongue Spade.-Ernie Moore Jr.

No_Know

Blog Entries

Paraphrase: You Call That a Broadsword? Now This! This Is A Broadsword

22:38

Squirrel has moves using a broadsword close to what you were mentioning Gene More Knightly, less WuShu...it Even had Runes on it [I do not think they made actual words] But here's this: Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu (attempt), Squirrel: Squirrel's Broadsword
    Last edited by No_Know; 06-29-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Put-in title where webpage was supposed to be.;Left-out the word Squirrel;left-off Broadsword