Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Let's Talk about Weapons

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Let's Talk about Weapons

    One of the things that makes TCMA cool and unique to me is the variety of weapons.

    I don't know where this thread will go, but a good start is discussing favorite weapons, drills, and forms - with links whenever possible. I think where TCMA can really excel in regards to other martial arts is in weapons practice so sharing and practicing drills and applications could be a good way for us to go. To me there's no reason why TCMA can't supplant Filipino Martial Arts as the Arts of choice for practical weapons proficiency.

    ---
    Anyway,

    One of my favorite weapons is also one of the most basic and that's the dao.

    I don't have a good clip of single saber, but here's a pretty cool one of my Sifu doing a traditional double saber routine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    I don't do weapons for the sake of tradition anymore.
    I trains edge ( knives) and impact weapons ( sticks) for the obvious practical applications.
    I also train with firearms when I can ( not often).
    I do sword work because I simply enjoy it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    I still train with staff, short stick, knife, big knife, double edge sword, butterfly knives and occaisionally with halberd (kwan dao) and a claymore.

    It's awesome practice. I find the most useful to be staff and short stick as far as what will be readily available and the least life threatening to use in an actual situation.

    I'd hate to cut someone when I could just knock them on the head.

    Firearms...I don't train them, but I like to shoot with some friends once or twice a year.
    Fav is the R700 scoped. That thing is awesome! For a HG I like the Colt 57 Python Patrolman Revolver. I haven't shot a full auto piece in years. Hey, that's Canada for you.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 01-09-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  4. #4
    Anybody remember Martial Law? I think one of the premises of that show was that he could use anything as a weapon - buckets, brooms, shoes, umbrellas, etc. Is using everything as a weapon a relevant skill to have and is TCMA in a good position to teach and promote that today?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Anybody remember Martial Law? I think one of the premises of that show was that he could use anything as a weapon - buckets, brooms, shoes, umbrellas, etc. Is using everything as a weapon a relevant skill to have and is TCMA in a good position to teach and promote that today?
    Environmental fighting is good training for RBSD in any class.

    You should be able to use your environment and what's in it to your tactical advantage if necessary.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    43,071

    Funny you should bring this up...

    ...I'm currently working on a piece addressing weapons - well, one weapon in particular - which I use as a jumping off point to discuss non-practical versus practical weapons in a modern day context. As most of you already know, I used to fence and do kendo, which are only street practical if you have a sword handy, and that's not very often, even for me. But I still love swordsmanship and enjoy practicing Shaolin meihuadao regularly. That being said, you'll have to wait for this piece to be complete as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I've set the deadline for mid-April, so be patient. Maybe I'll remember this thread in three months and post it here.

    Until then - get your weapons here!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I'm currently working on a piece addressing weapons - well, one weapon in particular - which I use as a jumping off point to discuss non-practical versus practical weapons in a modern day context. As most of you already know, I used to fence and do kendo, which are only street practical if you have a sword handy, and that's not very often, even for me. But I still love swordsmanship and enjoy practicing Shaolin meihuadao regularly. That being said, you'll have to wait for this piece to be complete as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I've set the deadline for mid-April, so be patient. Maybe I'll remember this thread in three months and post it here.

    Until then - get your weapons here!
    Actually, kendo can translate to stick work pretty easily.
    What is a broom stick but a "solid shinai", know what I mean?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  8. #8
    1 throwing pebbles on hanging papers or cans targets

    Rocks are everywhere. Pick a few and practice away.

    2 wielding bamboo sticks as a staff or sword

    Bamboo is everywhere in southern China and Taiwan.

    3 wooden jian in high school kuo shu club

    I save shining swords for show or performance.

    We practice what we have readily available.

    4 PCV staff with foam cushion

    5 wax wood staff is the best but expensive to break one

    PCV is light and breaks easily too

    --

    Such is the life.


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I don't know where this thread will go, but a good start is discussing favorite weapons, drills, and forms - with links whenever possible.
    slicing the pie

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •