Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Let's Talk about Weapons

  1. #1

    Let's Talk about Weapons

    One of the things that makes TCMA cool and unique to me is the variety of weapons.

    I don't know where this thread will go, but a good start is discussing favorite weapons, drills, and forms - with links whenever possible. I think where TCMA can really excel in regards to other martial arts is in weapons practice so sharing and practicing drills and applications could be a good way for us to go. To me there's no reason why TCMA can't supplant Filipino Martial Arts as the Arts of choice for practical weapons proficiency.

    ---
    Anyway,

    One of my favorite weapons is also one of the most basic and that's the dao.

    I don't have a good clip of single saber, but here's a pretty cool one of my Sifu doing a traditional double saber routine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    I don't do weapons for the sake of tradition anymore.
    I trains edge ( knives) and impact weapons ( sticks) for the obvious practical applications.
    I also train with firearms when I can ( not often).
    I do sword work because I simply enjoy it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    I still train with staff, short stick, knife, big knife, double edge sword, butterfly knives and occaisionally with halberd (kwan dao) and a claymore.

    It's awesome practice. I find the most useful to be staff and short stick as far as what will be readily available and the least life threatening to use in an actual situation.

    I'd hate to cut someone when I could just knock them on the head.

    Firearms...I don't train them, but I like to shoot with some friends once or twice a year.
    Fav is the R700 scoped. That thing is awesome! For a HG I like the Colt 57 Python Patrolman Revolver. I haven't shot a full auto piece in years. Hey, that's Canada for you.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 01-09-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  4. #4
    Anybody remember Martial Law? I think one of the premises of that show was that he could use anything as a weapon - buckets, brooms, shoes, umbrellas, etc. Is using everything as a weapon a relevant skill to have and is TCMA in a good position to teach and promote that today?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Anybody remember Martial Law? I think one of the premises of that show was that he could use anything as a weapon - buckets, brooms, shoes, umbrellas, etc. Is using everything as a weapon a relevant skill to have and is TCMA in a good position to teach and promote that today?
    Environmental fighting is good training for RBSD in any class.

    You should be able to use your environment and what's in it to your tactical advantage if necessary.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    42,961

    Funny you should bring this up...

    ...I'm currently working on a piece addressing weapons - well, one weapon in particular - which I use as a jumping off point to discuss non-practical versus practical weapons in a modern day context. As most of you already know, I used to fence and do kendo, which are only street practical if you have a sword handy, and that's not very often, even for me. But I still love swordsmanship and enjoy practicing Shaolin meihuadao regularly. That being said, you'll have to wait for this piece to be complete as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I've set the deadline for mid-April, so be patient. Maybe I'll remember this thread in three months and post it here.

    Until then - get your weapons here!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  7. #7
    1 throwing pebbles on hanging papers or cans targets

    Rocks are everywhere. Pick a few and practice away.

    2 wielding bamboo sticks as a staff or sword

    Bamboo is everywhere in southern China and Taiwan.

    3 wooden jian in high school kuo shu club

    I save shining swords for show or performance.

    We practice what we have readily available.

    4 PCV staff with foam cushion

    5 wax wood staff is the best but expensive to break one

    PCV is light and breaks easily too

    --

    Such is the life.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I'm currently working on a piece addressing weapons - well, one weapon in particular - which I use as a jumping off point to discuss non-practical versus practical weapons in a modern day context. As most of you already know, I used to fence and do kendo, which are only street practical if you have a sword handy, and that's not very often, even for me. But I still love swordsmanship and enjoy practicing Shaolin meihuadao regularly. That being said, you'll have to wait for this piece to be complete as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I've set the deadline for mid-April, so be patient. Maybe I'll remember this thread in three months and post it here.

    Until then - get your weapons here!
    Actually, kendo can translate to stick work pretty easily.
    What is a broom stick but a "solid shinai", know what I mean?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    36th Chamber
    Posts
    12,419
    I work the Monk Spade and 3-section staff routinely.

    Especially right now while I'm rehabbing, just to have something to do besides eat and eat.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

  10. #10
    I will love the staff forever and no one will ever convince me it is not practical. Like Gene, I still like doing Meihuadao and I have 2 jian forms I work on regularly. Weapons practice can be very practical because you can adapt those techniques to items found in the environment.

  11. #11
    Hello. I'm new to this forum. Don't claim to be a fighter. Kung fu in particular and martial arts in general is a hobby I enjoyed for the past twenty years. Mainly I train at home now with a friend or two.

    This sounds like an interesting thread. I personally do a lot of knife work with friends because I feel blades are still relevent today. We put on fencing masks and some pads. We like to use a lot of long range tactics. We find that more often than not the close range stuff end up in a lot exchanges of cuts and stabs.

    For kung fu weapons, I like to practice with my butterfly swords just because I think they're really cool and fun! And the more I practice the more crossovers I see in the empty hand work.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Bondi, Sydney Australia
    Posts
    2,502
    There's a book, Shubumi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibumi_(novel) that's all about an assassin that uses common objects as weapons. Great adventure read.

    Weapons can be anything. Weapons training to me is more about the use of that core object than the weapon in detail. A cricket bat, baseball bat, cane, Dao, all have similar application, with adjustments for weight. Long staff, med staff, rattan staff, shovel, broom, kwan dao.

    Translating skills across weapons is a good objective in weapons training in my own opinion.
    I also have a personal thing about not getting attached to any weapon as an object, any one will do, so I get used to accommodating differences in balance, weight, feel, etc..

    Favorite non standard weapon I've seen is two pieces of Angle Iron along the forearms, wrapped with an ace bandage, under a light jacket.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 01-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

  13. #13
    Regardless of what TCMA system/weapon u r doing, the most important thing I'd say is start training it as soon as possible; as in day 1; the whole convention of holding back weapons training because its inherently advanced or bec empty hand proficiency is a pre-req is simply nonsense; the benefits of early weapon training far outweigh any potential detriment

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    42,961

    Monk Spade!

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Actually, kendo can translate to stick work pretty easily.
    What is a broom stick but a "solid shinai", know what I mean?
    True. Funny, I just posted a news bit on our Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes thread about a sword and mop attack and this reminds me of that.

    Actually, I misspoke a little on that. Kendo was my main practice but along with that I dabbled in Iaido and Battojitsu. While those arts could translate to stick, they are really skills for edged weapons, so there's more drawing or pulling of the cut as opposed to blunt bashing with a stick.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I work the Monk Spade and 3-section staff routinely.
    Good one, MK. True to your namesake.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Translating skills across weapons is a good objective in weapons training in my own opinion.
    I also have a personal thing about not getting attached to any weapon as an object, any one will do, so I get used to accommodating differences in balance, weight, feel, etc..
    Too true. One time after class, I was using a small towel to whip at a classmate. He got angry and charged me. I then used the towel to put him on my back and choked him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •