Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk about Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Horrifying to think about - make sure yours is bigger if you come across that situation.
    Perv....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Everything works better with weapons in hand.
    Imagine the damage a boxer can do with a push dagger in each fist.
    thats not what i menat and i suspect you know it
    Alot of the movements in the forms: low stances, shifting of balance, one leg stuff etc are impractical for modern empty hand work, but with a weapon in hand they make alot of sense. maybe a lot of the sets were weapon sets first and were adopted into emptyhand by people used to fighting mainly with weapons and there was a major problem in translation lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Alot of the movements in the forms: low stances, shifting of balance, one leg stuff etc are impractical for modern empty hand work, but with a weapon in hand they make alot of sense. maybe a lot of the sets were weapon sets first and were adopted into emptyhand by people used to fighting mainly with weapons and there was a major problem in translation lol
    Yes, I know an I agree.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A lot of stuff makes more sense with a knife, but then a lot of stuff makes more sense in a clinch too. I don't know where this "fancy kickboxing" aesthetic came from really.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ah, Nicolai Hel...good stuff !
    Improvised weaponry should be a must and, with a good core in edge and impact weapons, it is easy to turn anything into a weapon.
    Key is principles over specific techniques.
    Learn the techniques, discover the principles, freedom.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Learn the techniques, discover the principles, freedom.
    As demonstrated by young braveheart here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Too Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I think the importance of this CANNOT be underestimated. Combat with or against weapons is very different from empty hand combat.
    If we interpret true self-defense/combat to mean the expectation of weapons and/or multiple opponents, then a lot of the TCMA that doesn't quite fit in the ring starts to make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    I think the importance of this CANNOT be underestimated. Combat with or against weapons is very different from empty hand combat.
    If we interpret true self-defense/combat to mean the expectation of weapons and/or multiple opponents, then a lot of the TCMA that doesn't quite fit in the ring starts to make more sense.
    I totally agree. It is interesting to note however that fencing had an influence in western boxing especially before gloves came along. I suspect that it was the same in TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I totally agree. It is interesting to note however that fencing had an influence in western boxing especially before gloves came along. I suspect that it was the same in TCMA.
    english boxing was a classical martial art. it was common described as fencing with the fists, as elegant and gentlemanly.

http://jmanly.ejmas.com/articles/200...usten_0605.htm

1890s article calling modern sport boxing "brutal slugging", the ineffective and awkward old school boxing stance was meant to display elegance and gentlemanly spirit.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    May the Swartz be with you!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    I have not done TCMA weapon for a long time. This clip was filmed almost 40 years ago (1973?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429CI...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-18-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    english boxing was a classical martial art. it was common described as fencing with the fists, as elegant and gentlemanly.

http://jmanly.ejmas.com/articles/200...usten_0605.htm

1890s article calling modern sport boxing "brutal slugging", the ineffective and awkward old school boxing stance was meant to display elegance and gentlemanly spirit.
    I enjoyed the article. Thank you for posting the link. Though the author seems to be in favor of the old school boxing method:

"Our best pugilists were generally the most manly and fair fighters; in appearance the effect of their effective hitting was minimized by the skillful manner in which they did it. The appearance of two unskilled men slugging each other is far more brutal, although they would not do nearly as much execution."

Three pages in, this is a pretty good thread. Lots of great insights.

I'm not big on classical weapons, more into firearms...but whenever I feel like I may find myself in a threatening situation I immediately scan the area for a convenient makeshift weapon.

This situational awareness actually comes into play daily for me now, in an unlikely way. Anyone who has been to east or southeast Asia knows there are dogs everywhere. Each morning when I run I have to deal with packs of dogs trying to get on either side of me and bite my legs.

I don't like running with something in my hand so I've adapted to the situation. I just scan the road ahead for the dogs, when I see a few together I just keep running and watch the shoulder. I always find a good stick, stone or something to grab without breaking stride; by the time I reach the dogs.

I never have to use it either. They know exactly what it means when you have something in your hand and raise it menacingly towards them. They back right off and I drop it when I pass them. If you run empty handed though, you'll have to give one a good soccer kick every now and then.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 01-19-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: because

In using two weapons at once, double broad sword, butterfly sword etc.. so any of you have any tips or go to's for those that have a hard time using both arms seemlessly? I have this block to moving fluidly with two weapons for forms and what not. I find it easier if I am engaged with said weapons in a fight or two man form but single form I seem to lock up. Any of you ever have this frustrating issue?