Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk about Weapons

how can i copy that gif video and share it on FB this is hillarious for tmy sword crew
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    sharing and practicing drills and applications ...
    There is one strategy that I like is to "Push your opponent's weapon to the east, you then attack from the west."

To me, the weapon fight is the same as the open hand fight. When you move in, you want to know where your opponent's wepon is. To be able to touch your wepon on your opponent's weapon when you move in is the same as to touch your leading leg against your opponent'e leading leg. At that particular moment, you can decide whether you feel safe to continue your attack, or you don't feel safe and want to retreat. If you want to continue your attack, you use your weapon to press your opponent's weapon away from your moving path (jam his weapon), you then move in through the opposite direction of his weapon.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-29-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Featherstone View Post
    In using two weapons at once, double broad sword, butterfly sword etc.. so any of you have any tips or go to's for those that have a hard time using both arms seemlessly? I have this block to moving fluidly with two weapons for forms and what not. I find it easier if I am engaged with said weapons in a fight or two man form but single form I seem to lock up. Any of you ever have this frustrating issue?
    I use a method called "mother/son"

If the mother goes somewhere, the son follows.
    If the mother catches, the son strikes
    If the mother stops, the son goes around.

That sort of thing. It basically teaches the one hand to follow the other and the block/strike, catch strike naturally follows and grows independence in the hands.

Use a striking surface like a Pell (a post to strike at full force with blades, it is wood so it doesn't damages the blades).
    Kung Fu is good for you.

In using two weapons at once, double broad sword, butterfly sword etc.. so any of you have any tips or go to's for those that have a hard time using both arms seemlessly? I have this block to moving fluidly with two weapons for forms and what not. I find it easier if I am engaged with said weapons in a fight or two man form but single form I seem to lock up. Any of you ever have this frustrating issue?
    Just go slow at first then pick up speed. This is where I feel tai chi's slow motion training comes in handy in learning new movements. In Learning double swords, there are times when you may want to focus on one side, then once you got it down, focus in on the other side. Then finally put them together. This approach I find works well in teaching such movements like figure 8 motions with the double swords (Along with the mother/son method David Jamieson mentioned). Hope this helps.

I reckon I just need to give it time. The sad part is, I am ambidextrous and still cant twirl twin blades! Deep breaths and relax!

Really, you can perform tasks with either hand without one lacking?

Ahhh, I wish. I can write with both hands at the same time, but it has to be the same thing.

I tried to make it so I could write my first name with one hand and my last name with the other. Yeah, lol, not so easy. I can train myself to do certain words, but no free writing. When free, it has to be the same thing. And the left side isn't as pretty. I would not consider myself ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To me, the weapon fight is the same as the open hand fight.
    Agreed.

Weapon wielding is an extension of our hand moves and body methods.

Great.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    how can i copy that gif video and share it on FB this is hillarious for tmy sword crew
    FB won't show animated gifs. I think you can post a link to the URl, though.

http://i.imgur.com/6AVGb.gif
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

As a newbie to the forum I'll add my two cents.

I train eyebrow hight staff, single and double sticks, edged weapons with knife being my favorite, and the Dulo Dulo. I also train with Nunchaku's but they are impractical for street defense. A walking cane is also a great weapon.

IMHO if you train sticks then you are also training knives or short swords and staff training translates to the spear. Training sticks is extremely useful because they can be found nearly everywhere such as in the form of fallen branches in the yard or street, broom/mop handles...etc. Of course it would probably look really funny to wield a mop around to beat somebody about their head, but I'd do it if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    A walking cane is also a great weapon.
    I always thought a walking cane could be practical, since it's something you could actually carry in the street. Still, it's somewhat funny to me to see the cane forms with complex moves, jumps and spins. You got to figure if a guy needs a cane he probably won't be able to move like that.

I guess a young guy without an injury can carry a cane, but it's pretty weird unless he has a tux, top hat and monocle to go along with it. Then he's probably just asking to get jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I always thought a walking cane could be practical, since it's something you could actually carry in the street. Still, it's somewhat funny to me to see the cane forms with complex moves, jumps and spins. You got to figure if a guy needs a cane he probably won't be able to move like that.

I guess a young guy without an injury can carry a cane, but it's pretty weird unless he has a tux, top hat and monocle to go along with it. Then he's probably just asking to get jumped.
    i have a stick i sometimes take with me when walking the dog, im 6ft and 230 pounds so people tend to not jump me stick or no stick, and with the amount of injuries i have from grappling, MMA and powerlifting i actually need the stick sometimes lol

And our system has a walking cane form, but to be honest i prefer to use it the same way as my master family style short stick form, lots of basic stabs, full body swings, angles hits and butts/punches with the end section of the stick, simple and effective

I'm working on a cane article for our web pub..

...should be up in two months. Stay tuned.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

man that sword really compliments your back fat!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I agree with Bernard!

1) Start with large movements performed slowly,
    2) Tighten the movements and slowly increase the speed as your muscle memory improves
    3) Continue to tighten and increase speed as your skill improves.

I also agree with practicing one had at a time sometimes.

I taught myself to throw the football left handed about 20 years ago. I throw a better spiral left-handed even though I have been throwing a football for about 47 years, but I only throw about 2/3 to 4/5 as far left-handed than right-handed though.