Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daoism in your journey

Daoism in your journey

Since many of practitioners seem to be knowledgeable in Kung fu including internal arts, I wonder how many are interested in Daoism and how the religion/philosophy impact your practice in all aspects. As a westerner do you rely more on the western version of all the Daoist reference books or traditional canons.

Thanks,

Mig

Personally, I do not but I see parallels within my own cultural sphere that is on par with Daoism.
    1. Be one or Be the One
    2. What you sow, you will reap.
    3. BE
    4. on telling reality from BS (taken form Marine Corps boot camp DI, sh*t in one hand and wish in the other and tell me which one fills up first.

I boiled all the philosophies into 4 simple points. I am a simpleton at heart and hate drama!

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Personally, I do not but I see parallels within my own cultural sphere that is on par with Daoism.
    1. Be one or Be the One
    2. What you sow, you will reap.
    3. BE
    4. on telling reality from BS (taken form Marine Corps boot camp DI, sh*t in one hand and wish in the other and tell me which one fills up first.

I boiled all the philosophies into 4 simple points. I am a simpleton at heart and hate drama!
    From what readings your understanding is based at least for the first three points? Just curious. Thanks

Philosophy practiced is the goal of learning. - Thoreau

I recommend The Disputers of the Tao by Angus C. Graham to understand the antecedents and how Daoism came to be.

My own understanding in a nutshell is that like western science, philosophical Daoism is the study of how the world around us works, and the Daoist seeks to put his own actions in accord with the movements of the universe to be both more efficient and effective.

I've expanded on some re occurring themes and topics having to do with the practical application of Daoism to our (well mine anyway) lives and put them into an eBook which is available on Amazon right here.

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    Since many of practitioners seem to be knowledgeable in Kung fu including internal arts, I wonder how many are interested in Daoism and how the religion/philosophy impact your practice in all aspects. As a westerner do you rely more on the western version of all the Daoist reference books or traditional canons.

Thanks, Mig
    I have been observing the principles of Tao for nigh on 40 years now. It is part of my daily life and I hope pretty well integrated into it.

The theory behind Philosophical Taoist thought is to observe the universe in its functions and then accommodate oneself to the principles observed.

The only caution I would give is to keep in mind that Tao is composed of Yin AND Yang. Many who practice the soft arts. because of the principles taught in these arts, tend to believe all life should be lived primarily according to the principles of Yin. This is only living according to half of Tao. There is a time to apply Yin principles and a time to apply Yang principles. An effective student of Tao learns to apply the appropriate principle to the circumstance.

In fact, it is actually impossible not to live by the principles of Tao. We all automatically conform to those principles, because existence is founded upon them. However, there are some principles that provide for generally more beneficent effects than others.

What is important is to know when to apply Yin principles and when to apply Yang principles to their greatest effect for the preferred result.

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    From what readings your understanding is based at least for the first three points? Just curious. Thanks
    It is more of a personal, educational, social, spiritual journey and experience.
    10 people will all read the same book and all have different perceptions or reality based on that same book. No different from 10 people seeing the same crime being committed and variances in their story will differ.

What has been your experience and insight on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    It is more of a personal, educational, social, spiritual journey and experience.
    10 people will all read the same book and all have different perceptions or reality based on that same book. No different from 10 people seeing the same crime being committed and variances in their story will differ.

What has been your experience and insight on the matter?
    I am trying to understand the daoism journey from the martial art practitioner point of view as it was in old days in China. Unfortunately, little I know that old sifus or sikungs really knew or understood the essence of Daoism. It is known now that Daoism and Buddhism concepts have been used in many styles but I don't know to which extent. In today's world we have so much information that we can learn from the sources and have better interpretation. Unfortunately, many translations are not always accurate and everybody makes their own Dao and very few follow the principles of Daoism from the original source. I understand we all have different perspectives from our experiences in life although I am referring to the old texts interpreted today with its applications in the martial art world.
    In my experience, I have been Daoist without knowing it and now that I am reading the old canons I relate much better although the quality of translations I've checked don't have clear explanations. Again I am interested in reading from those who practice martial arts and not necessarily from a philosophical point of view.

Thanks,

Mig

Since you are interested in reading about Tao from the oldest sources I recommend to you The Nei Yeh, it is the oldest known Taoist text to date. It is thought to predate the Lao Tzu.

If you intend to lead your life according to the principles of Tao and think that the way to do this is by reading the oldest original texts and to follow those teachings, you will be in error.

Tao is not something that was defined 2,000 years ago and that is it. It is here and now. The people from the past did nothing different that those of us who follow Tao do today. They wrote about what they observed, according to their world views, historical perspective, scientific understanding, etc. They are neither more nor less accurate than anyone who lives today. They did not define Tao, they described what they saw and experienced. If they wrote about the taste of an orange, it would not taste any different today than it did 2,000 years ago!

This article at Kung Fu Tea addresses how Daoism came to be associated with Chinese martial arts.

I subscribe to no one particular religion or philosophy.
    But I have been exposed to Taoism for a long time.

Part and parcel to a Father who loved esoterica, philosophy, tai chi etc etc.

To me, Taoism is being in, and maintaining a connection to the greater reality.
    Awareness of it and keeping harmony with it to the best of your understanding.

Beyond that, it's anyone's game. :-)

As a Shaolin Kung Fu Practitioner, I have equal interest in Chan or Zen practice and do that as well. It is similar in intention and probably why Taoists and Chan Buddhists could see eye to eye more readily I suppose.

All the rest have good lessons as well. Best to take what one can from the whole of the table.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I forgot the Tao.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I forgot the Tao.
    It's in your back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    It was until that grubby beggar stole it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I forgot the Tao.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It was until that grubby beggar stole it.
    Maybe he thought it belonged to him.

Maybe he thought it belonged to him.
    that's impossible - it's mine:

TAO©®™TGY2013

see?