Thread: Wing Chun Daily Workout

Wing Chun Daily Workout

I was wondering what your solo daily workouts are like. It's always good to see how other people do it and maybe we can learn something from each other. Mine is generally as follows

Stationary punches
    Shifting/turning drills (punch, pak da, tan da, etc)
    Stepping drills
    Kicks (front, cross, side, sweeping)
    Bong Gerk
    Entry Drills (If I have a Mook Jong, I'll use it. Otherwise I just do it in the air)
    Forms (Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee). I haven't learned the mook jong form yet. I just use it for drills.
    *Sometimes after the kicks, I'll skip the entry drills and just do concentrated forms practice. Then I always finish each workout with a final Sil Lim Tao done very slowly. The whole thing takes about an hour. For the drills, I usually time myself with rounds rather than counting reps.

Any thoughts/ideas and care to share your own workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    I was wondering what your solo daily workouts are like. It's always good to see how other people do it and maybe we can learn something from each other. Mine is generally as follows

Stationary punches
    Shifting/turning drills (punch, pak da, tan da, etc)
    Stepping drills
    Kicks (front, cross, side, sweeping)
    Bong Gerk
    Entry Drills (If I have a Mook Jong, I'll use it. Otherwise I just do it in the air)
    Forms (Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee). I haven't learned the mook jong form yet. I just use it for drills.
    *Sometimes after the kicks, I'll skip the entry drills and just do concentrated forms practice. Then I always finish each workout with a final Sil Lim Tao done very slowly. The whole thing takes about an hour. For the drills, I usually time myself with rounds rather than counting reps.

Any thoughts/ideas and care to share your own workouts?
    Can you access a heavy bag ? try doing more on this, it will help with the kinetic line of force in balance. You can do all kinds of drills for developing structured, balanced striking/kicking/shoving/body checking/etc...
    Another item easily made and highly recommended is a tennis-ball on 3mm elastic cord (VT focus ball).
    Add running and or wind sprints, with forms in between rests or a drill, etc...

My daily workout varies. Mainly Gor sau and sparring and if any problems arise from that chi sau drills. Dummy practice and seung ma/toi ma is essential most days. No time for other training. Weapons a few times a week.

Hello. WC is not my primary kung fu system. I have only taken it for a short time. More like just sharing with some friends who made it their primary system. I even taught what little I know to my nephew.

I personally like to work with weapons, mostly with the butterfly swords. I would work out with the pole but I don't always have a lot a space to work with.

For empty hand solo work, I mainly shadow box the techniques, imagining going up against a kickboxer. There are only a few techniques I prefer. Pak sau, Lop sao (I would combine this sometimes with kicks but prefer to work against the opponent's elbow joint as I feel this is the closest target. I like to do a lot of pull ups for this as well), the palm strikes, elbows and knees.

work out

Every day i make sure i train:

17 Bong sau's (right side)

Tan sau to turning laap for 35 mins

Bunny steps up and down the my street

short pole jing form while watching online vids

Biu gee Dim mak finger strenght drill via keyboard typing.

My only thing with wing chun drills is they don't push my cardio wise etc so I do combos on the heavy bag like in kick boxing But I try to keep most of my punches wing chunish as possible. Then I do forms and shifting with tan da, gan, da etc.
    Foot work drills then tan da etc shifting with entry and combinations.

Obviously if I have a partner I do more gore sao or chi sau and bong lap etc or if I'm stuck with a tai chi guy etc I do more of a free style sticky hands etc otherwise I just spar and do pad work depending upon who I have as a partner.....

Every day I will do first form
    Whilst standing in the "goat sheering position" as my teacher called it, I do down and back up (sort of half squats) around 200 of those, as it's not a full dip
    5 sets of 10 Sit ups
    5 sets of 10 Press ups
    5 sets of 10 Crunches
    turning exercises to improve balance
    "Moving in" with triple kicks
    Blocking and punching drills (using a hung up dressing gown!)

Recently I've been trying to do first form on one leg but my balance isn't quite good enough yet!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    My only thing with wing chun drills is they don't push my cardio wise etc so I do combos on the heavy bag like in kick boxing But I try to keep most of my punches wing chunish as possible. Then I do forms and shifting with tan da, gan, da etc.
    Foot work drills then tan da etc shifting with entry and combinations.

Obviously if I have a partner I do more gore sao or chi sau and bong lap etc or if I'm stuck with a tai chi guy etc I do more of a free style sticky hands etc otherwise I just spar and do pad work depending upon who I have as a partner.....
    if you want to boost your cardio using solo wing chun training try circuit training. Chain punch as fast as you can for a minute then kick with your right leg for as many reps as you can do in a minute, swap legs repeat on the left leg then biu ma forward and backwards for 2 minutes without stopping, do another minute of chain punches etc etc throw in sets of heavy bag / wall bag striking, exercises like push ups and chin ups, skipping or burpees and any other movements. If you give it everything you've got you'll be thoroughly spent in 10 - 20 minutes.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook