Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations on TCMA

Some observations on TCMA

I'm going somewhere with this--I think.

For now, I'll just post some observations and welcome comments and criticism.

Traditional Chinese fighting arts are propagated through a social network--the men-pai systems.

These societies are based on both Confucian and practical values. They allow for a recognition of authority and for some degree of control over a tradition. The traditions and lineages are cultural constructs that may be as important to the membership as any actual skills gained by participation.

The ultimate test of the methods taught within these systems is personal combat, whether it be a life-or-death struggle or challenging in a public arena.

Success within a traditional system may be based more (or entirely) upon recognition as a lineage-holder than proven skills as a fighter.

A fighter may do very well in his field regardless of any standing within a pai or men.

A fighter with "bad" or sloppy technique can still win over a fighter with superior skill in certain techniques, e.g.: a "brawler" over a picture-perfect "boxer."

The traditional systems have developed high-level skills and pedagogy to support their schools and traditions. Perhaps the greatest asset of these traditonal societies is that they preserve well-structured systems of training and discovery.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

I see most Chinese martial arts school as Physical Culture rather than fighting gyms. Where I'm from, most of the old Chinese martial art clubs don't practice like how they use to. It was a lot rougher back then and you would need to keep a stock of that bruise liniment. Today its more for the kids, lion dance and all.

Today, you would need to gather the students who are serious about fighting and have them train their preferred techniques with harder contact on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I see most Chinese martial arts school as Physical Culture rather than fighting gyms. Where I'm from, most of the old Chinese martial art clubs don't practice like how they use to. It was a lot rougher back then and you would need to keep a stock of that bruise liniment. Today its more for the kids, lion dance and all.

Today, you would need to gather the students who are serious about fighting and have them train their preferred techniques with harder contact on their own.
    This is one of the points I was hoping someone would make. "How they used to" implies a recognition that these societies once gave higher priority to fighting skills, but there are other elements that preserve some of the structure of the school in a different context.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

A good teacher can pass on great techniques through forms practice I feel. For example, there's a tai chi technique (I can't remember the name of that certain Chen tai chi posture) that pulls an opponent off balance by grabbing the wrist and elbow, but many people who perform that posture in the form have their hands spaced out too far apart as if they're doing the technique on a giant!

[QUOTE=Bernard;1205743]A good teacher can pass on great techniques through forms practice I feel...QUOTE]

So even if a system is incomplete it still retains value in what is passed on structurally?

I tend to agree. My first sifu said that every teacher will show you what he wants you to learn, but it is up to you to fill in the gaps (what he didn't know or held back from teaching). This can be done with enough experience.

I think this is where training in a traditional system has an advantage over going it alone. Past experience is built into the structure of the training.

Two of my teachers strongly disagreed, believing that only those with considerable fighting experience can truly reveal a system. I see the point in this, but the fighting experience doesn't have to come from the same school, and there are many problems associated with sparring only within the same "style."

Can a system that has lacked real fighting experience for a couple of generations be returned to its combative roots?

where are you from? this a is not the case with a lot of the schools I have visited but there are a lot that do however I find this is gross assumption. I personally teach fighters. We don't teach kids we don't wear silk uniforms we just train kung fu. 8 step is a viscous fighting system through and through.

I have taught fighter who have won in the UFC and the USMTA ans well as full contact tough man matches.

I do however preserve the culture as I teach traditionally in the language all in Chinese, I have not modified or changed any of the methods other than to update certain techns and I preserved the health side as well learning bone setting tui na acupuncture, qigong and taji
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    where are you from? this a is not the case with a lot of the schools I have visited but there are a lot that do however I find this is gross assumption. I personally teach fighters. We don't teach kids we don't wear silk uniforms we just train kung fu. 8 step is a viscous fighting system through and through.

I have taught fighter who have won in the UFC and the USMTA ans well as full contact tough man matches.

I do however preserve the culture as I teach traditionally in the language all in Chinese, I have not modified or changed any of the methods other than to update certain techns and I preserved the health side as well learning bone setting tui na acupuncture, qigong and taji
    Well I did say "most" and not "all" Personally I'm glad there are schools like yours.

It seems among the Chinese instructors of the clubs I referred to, their focus changed over the years. While this saddens me, I came to respect their choice. I believe they wanted to teach Chinese children (non-Chinese children are welcome as well) values through Chinese Physical culture and not emphasize so much on fighting.
    Last edited by Bernard; 01-13-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: none

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Success within a traditional system may be based more (or entirely) upon recognition as a lineage-holder than proven skills as a fighter.
    Very sad, but true in some systems.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    The traditions and lineages are cultural constructs that may be as important to the membership as any actual skills gained by participation..

Lineage without skill is an embarrassment. Better to have no lineage than to claim one and not be able uphold the standard of skill. That is the traditional view.

Old school teachers have told their students not to start fights. Not necessarily because of peace and harmony. But because they did not want it known that they were the teacher of such a poor student.

Traditional martial arts that have lost their tradition and their combat skills have nothing left but to rest on past achievements of their ancestors.

In this modern time of instant gratification and delicate self esteem, wannabees use lineage to represent themselves and self promote, rather than themselves representing the standard of their lineage.

There was a reason for teachers granting discipleship or expelling a student, and not necessarily political as it has turned into in modern times.

I believe they wanted to teach Chinese children (non-Chinese children are welcome as well) values through Chinese Physical culture and not emphasize so much on fighting.
    I use fighting, and the discipline to suffer through the fight training to teach Chinese children Chinese values. Others and adults have been welcome as well. The Chinese children were the most successful. The head start from their tiger moms made a difference.

Suffer and endure in order to achieve. Discipline through martial dance is one type of discipline. Going up against adult blackbelts at open mat sparring, getting the wind knocked out of you 10 times(I counted) on your first day, and going back to deliver your own brand of pain is another type of discipline. His offense was excellent. His defense was not. He had tears in his eyes, but never lost composure, and went back in for more.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Traditional martial arts that have lost their tradition and their combat skills have nothing left but to rest on past achievements of their ancestors.
    History is a big part as always.

Lineage is a convenient way to group schools.

We may trace our learning from our teachers.

And our teachers' teachers.

etc.

That is history, too.

Students are just students.

There are good fighters and there also many not so good.

That goes to all schools of all lineages.

A good teacher can pass on great techniques through forms practice I feel. For example, there's a tai chi technique (I can't remember the name of that certain Chen tai chi posture) that pulls an opponent off balance by grabbing the wrist and elbow, but many people who perform that posture in the form have their hands spaced out too far apart as if they're doing the technique on a giant!
    Doesn't that just mean that many people have not been able to learn great techniques through forms practice alone?

That's how hippie Tie Chee got invented.

After teaching us form and it's applications, my teacher lectured us that the form is useless if we didn't train the techniques(against each other) until we owned them.

It all depends on level of the teacher, any move will work if you are at a high skill level, the problem comes from people that are at a low skill level and don't know it. Thus their art seems to not work and their students are left at their skill level or usually at a lower level. Thus lies the evolution of most commercial styles.

I.E. Don't follow a style, but find a teacher that can pass on a path that leads to a high level, not a teacher with a high level of wasted time and effort with little to no results.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    History is a big part as always.

Lineage is a convenient way to group schools.

We may trace our learning from our teachers.

And our teachers' teachers.

etc.

That is history, too.

Students are just students.

There are good fighters and there also many not so good.

That goes to all schools of all lineages.

If there are no fight skills, then isn't it just a martial flavored social club?

I would call that "formerly traditional".
    Last edited by -N-; 01-13-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    the problem comes from people that are at a low skill level and don't know it. Thus their art seems to not work and their students are left at their skill level or usually at a lower level. Thus lies the evolution of most commercial styles.
    So sad. So true.

Or more like they think their art works, but it doesn't. And it continues to devolve with each generation.