Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations on TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    As a bouncer I'm sure he gets a lil practice. I would hope he never had to kill anybody tho.
    Oh, that's right, he's a bouncer, so he gets all kinds of life and death fighting experience.

Of course, no MMA guys do any bouncing, law enforcement or military work. So, of course, they have no idea about life and death fighting. They only know about ring fighting because that's the only thing any of them has ever done, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Oh, that's right, he's a bouncer, so he gets all kinds of life and death fighting experience.

Of course, no MMA guys do any bouncing, law enforcement or military work. So, of course, they have no idea about life and death fighting. They only know about ring fighting because that's the only thing any of them has ever done, right?
    I never said that. When you make assumptions like that you don't do your position any justice. I am not the other people you were talking to. You should probably ask me what I think before you presume to tell me what I think.

All I said was I'm sure he has some experience against people trying to do him harm. Hands and weapons.

I was gonna say a few other things, but i have no desire to trade with midgets. I didn't realize you were that slow. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I never said that. When you make assumptions like that you don't do your position any justice. I am not the other people you were talking to. You should probably ask me what I think before you presume to tell me what I think.

All I said was I'm sure he has some experience against people trying to do him harm. Hands and weapons.

I was gonna say a few other things, but i have no desire to trade with midgets. I didn't realize you were that slow. Carry on.
    I apologize for lumping you in with him and thinking that you shared the same preposterous opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    John, they will never get it, their art is a sport to entertain for fun and a leather snap on belt and bragging rights not for real life or death,
    people also train kung fu for fun.

both mma and tcma are entertainment. neither is "real".

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To use shin bite to set up "leg lift (uchi mata)" or to use "leg lift (uchi mata)" to set up shin bite both apply the same strategy, "Attack one leg to force your opponent to have the whole body weight on the other leg, you then attack the other leg". Those "principle" should be universal without style boundary. The shin bite is just one of many ways to attack one leg.

Here is another example (double leg lift) that apply the same principle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsHo...ature=youtu.be
    Thats sweet, I am gojng to try this set up wensday night. Thanks for posting it

I apologize for lumping you in with him and thinking that you shared the same preposterous opinion.
    Accepted. I'm not on any particular "side". I practice TCMA's and I wrestle, MT and no gi sub grappling.

I have much respect for what works, and don't much care for what doesn't. I know what works for ME and what doesn't and I do realize that maybe some people can make things work that I cannot and vice versa.

That being said, I do use many tcma principles when applying the other arts. The very basic principles aren't all that different most of the time. They are just stylized different and created and used in different context.

I believe that if a Thai boxer trained staff with the same intensity, he'd get pretty good.

this, the relative of all other arguments aside of TMA v MMA, is something that the TMA seem to conveniently forget when they argue that MMA is "just" for the ring, which implies that MMA guys would be hard pressed (at least relative to a TMA guy) to adapt their training for "t3h str33t"; I mean, this is pretty disingenuous...

my argument is that it doesn't matter what you do, it's how you do it - the more relatively high-pressure, "live" environment u train in, the better u will do when confronted for realz; if the bulk of my training is against resisting opponents, I will do better then someone who doesn't; the fact is that whereas TCMA practice is pretty uneven (from form fairies to more "hardcore"), MMA typically involves getting hit and trying to hit people who on't want to get hit; if a TCMA guy trains "deadly" techniques in a relatively compliant context, he has to markedly change context to deal w a real attacker; OTOH, an MMA guy who is used to hitting someone in the face who is trying not to get hit, will have an easier time turning that punch into an eye jab and being successful with it;

TCMA has a lot of great stuff to offer, but it's often weighed down by a cultural context that actually hampers developing effective fighting skills in our current context; the fact is that MMA training methods are not encumbered by the need to maintain a "traditional" context, and so are judged solely on empirical effectiveness, not adherence to maintaining centuries worth of temporal continuity;

also, training static stances only makes muscles isometrically strong with a range of 20˚ in either direction; it has no bearing on dynamic functional strength, because the firing patterns are completely different; if you want to get good at not getting knocked over, u have to have someone try to knock you over; holding a stance could be an ok way to begin if someone is very deconditioned, but otherwise it has limited benefit except training you to stand statically for increasing periods of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Who thinks this? People with a culture that is decades old.
    Wow, this should be a thread subject unto itself. What laughable, jingoistic garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    this, the relative of all other arguments aside of TMA v MMA, is something that the TMA seem to conveniently forget when they argue that MMA is "just" for the ring, which implies that MMA guys would be hard pressed (at least relative to a TMA guy) to adapt their training for "t3h str33t"; I mean, this is pretty disingenuous...

my argument is that it doesn't matter what you do, it's how you do it - the more relatively high-pressure, "live" environment u train in, the better u will do when confronted for realz; if the bulk of my training is against resisting opponents, I will do better then someone who doesn't; the fact is that whereas TCMA practice is pretty uneven (from form fairies to more "hardcore"), MMA typically involves getting hit and trying to hit people who on't want to get hit; if a TCMA guy trains "deadly" techniques in a relatively compliant context, he has to markedly change context to deal w a real attacker; OTOH, an MMA guy who is used to hitting someone in the face who is trying not to get hit, will have an easier time turning that punch into an eye jab and being successful with it;

TCMA has a lot of great stuff to offer, but it's often weighed down by a cultural context that actually hampers developing effective fighting skills in our current context; the fact is that MMA training methods are not encumbered by the need to maintain a "traditional" context, and so are judged solely on empirical effectiveness, not adherence to maintaining centuries worth of temporal continuity;

also, training static stances only makes muscles isometrically strong with a range of 20˚ in either direction; it has no bearing on dynamic functional strength, because the firing patterns are completely different; if you want to get good at not getting knocked over, u have to have someone try to knock you over; holding a stance could be an ok way to begin if someone is very deconditioned, but otherwise it has limited benefit except training you to stand statically for increasing periods of time...
    Quit talking so much sense.

Quit talking so much sense.
    it's clearly the liquor talking...

Once again, completely different mechanics.
    kouchigari has both control of opponent's far side and does not reach down. It is vital to both control the opponent's far side and keep the upper body upright.

Take those away (and turn it into the shin bite) and it doesn't work anymore.
    STFU like you know shiite about Judo. Shin bite doesn't need the hand. It's the crushing motion on the side of the knee joint while using your instep and toes to secure the ankle in one place - hence the picturesque description "shin bite". Kouchi you catch the opponent in a step forward just before they land their full weight with a sweeping in motion using your instep toe area. This is where you'd use a shin bite, they friggin land their weight fully while you're reaping. You can no longer sweep them, and they'll start to withdraw, I say stick your leg to their leg so they can't withdraw and press your weight forward on their slightly extended lead leg. If you set it up right, it's the perfect moment for a "shin bite" - stick and crush.

Quote Originally Posted by maxattck View Post
    In my bjj academy we where working a takedown off of the shin bite tech that youknowho posted. Almost the same way he posted it our set up was off a failed uchi mata. The tech works.
    LeRoux is a wannabe trying to cause trouble. Anyone with significant Judo and BJJ experience can take one look at that vid and see an way to apply it in a real situation. The mechanics are sound.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    LeRoux is a wannabe trying to cause trouble. Anyone with significant Judo and BJJ experience can take one look at that vid and see an way to apply it in a real situation. The mechanics are sound.

What they will see is setting oneself up to get the back taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    STFU like you know shiite about Judo. Shin bite doesn't need the hand.
    All judo techniques require grip control.

What they will see is setting oneself up to get the back taken.
    because no one would ever use their shin to pin someone's leg...

I mean they may have a magic knee that flexes in directions perpendicular to the joint.

I'll type slowly, in John's vid, all of his weight is on the inside edge of his opponent's knee and he's using his shin to press the knee firmly to the ground. He has nothing to worry about because there's no way that the bottom guy is going to reach far enough to get his back.

Look at the 8 second mark in John's vid. all of his weight is coming down on the inside of the guy's knee. There's no way he could get his back.
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-22-2013 at 09:12 PM.