Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations on TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Doesn't that just mean that many people have not been able to learn great techniques through forms practice alone?

That's how hippie Tie Chee got invented.

After teaching us form and it's applications, my teacher lectured us that the form is useless if we didn't train the techniques(against each other) until we owned them.
    True. Usage training and forms practice should always go hand in hand. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    These societies are based on both Confucian and practical values.

tcma societies follow an ancient philosophy called legalism.

Success within a traditional system may be based more (or entirely) upon recognition as a lineage-holder than proven skills as a fighter.
    in history sometimes the culture focused on fighting, sometimes it emphasized on aesthetics and performance. tradition is what you make of it.

tcma is more than fighting or performing.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-13-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    A fighter with "bad" or sloppy technique can still win over a fighter with superior skill in certain techniques, ...
    This sentence make no sense. There are only techniques that work and techniques that don't work. There are no such thing as good techniques or bad techniques.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This sentence make no sense. There are only techniques that work and techniques that don't work. There are no such thing as good techniques or bad techniques.
    good technique wont work if you are weak or cowardly. fake kung fu claims a weak cowardly man can defeat a brave strong man with the proper technique, mainly bruce lee era.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    good technique wont work if you are weak or cowardly.
    You can't call your technique good if you don't have any of the following:

- good timing,
    - recognize opportunity,
    - cut in through the right angle,
    - strong power, and
    - good balance.

If you are weak -> you don't have strong power.
    If you are a coward -> your timing may be wrong.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

You can't call your technique good if you don't have any of the following:

- good timing,
    - recognize opportunity,
    - cut in through the right angle,
    - strong power, and
    - good balance.
    When I was learning Goju, we had techniques that had all the above characteristics, however when I began learning mantis, I realized that many of the Goju techniques like that of funakoshis shotokahn, they were not complex or intricate enough to overcome many of the counters locks and traps of the praying mantis.

so higher level systems will make lover level systems, techniques look bad
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    When I was learning Goju, we had techniques that had all the above characteristics, however when I began learning mantis, I realized that many of the Goju techniques like that of funakoshis shotokahn, they were not complex or intricate enough to overcome many of the counters locks and traps of the praying mantis.

goju is just as "complex" as mantis. youre still training mantis with the mindset of a japan fetishist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJY2pgR9r44
    Last edited by bawang; 01-13-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    good technique wont work if you are weak or cowardly. fake kung fu claims a weak cowardly man can defeat a brave strong man with the proper technique, mainly bruce lee era.
    That's why there are so many "sparring" videos that look like flinchy slap fights.

That's why there are so many "sparring" videos that look like flinchy slap fights.
    because they are fake kung fu.

Jdhowland,

What you said are very much true. That is why I love the modern CMA schools. They emphasize on developing fighting skill, without neglecting the health promotion aspect and good ethics.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Can a system that has lacked real fighting experience for a couple of generations be returned to its combative roots?
    Absolutely. If two people began training the apps for real and testing them on each other, they will learn how to fight with their system.
    Shifu can't give that to you even if he has it. You have to take it; and you can take it whether he gives it to you or not. It's right there if you want it.

Lineage without skill is an embarrassment. Better to have no lineage than to claim one and not be able uphold the standard of skill. That is the traditional view.
    This bears repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post

No. A better fighter will make a lesser fighters techniques look bad. No matter how many complex techniques someone knows, they will look bad if they can't stop a jab from landing.

bawang;1205780]tcma societies follow an ancient philosophy called legalism.
    Yes. This is the source of what I meant by "practical values." It provides the contract. Confucian values provide some of the social structure.

Legalism is also shown in the prevalence of posted rules of conduct in many schools.

in history sometimes the culture focused on fighting, sometimes it emphasized on aesthetics and performance. tradition is what you make of it.

tcma is more than fighting or performing.
    Ah, now you're getting to the heart of it. This is hinting at just the thing I was hoping to bring up.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    OK. I should have stated that better. What I meant was that a fighter with unorthodox technique can still win over someone who better represents the expected appearance of good form. A technically good fighter can still lose to someone who is bigger and stronger. Correct application of energy gives you an edge--but not always the advantage.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity