Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Some observations on TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    ???
    Go to a Judo school, or a BJJ school, and ask them what set of prearranged movement they have to know to earn a blackbelt.
    I would say some schools are more sport oriented , than martial art oriented.

I would not call a lot of sports, martial arts, but you will develop skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

I wouldn't call them martial arts either. I'd call them combatives, since they are more about what works in application.

Arts are more about artistic self-expression.

I like the old-school BJJ way. No ceremonies. No testing. Just an instructor throwing a belt at someone after he has been holding his own with the higher belts and kicking ass on the same level belts for a while.

I like the wrestling, boxing, and Muay Thai mentality even better. No rankings, per se. You are simply as good as your current skills.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post

I like the TCMA mentality even better. No rankings, per se. You are simply as good as your current skills.
    There. Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

There are certainly schools more oriented towards competitions but for beginners (with no skills) it makes no difference. The basic, underlying skills are the same. As a student matures in skill, the responsibility is on them to understand the art in context.

Why a child will learn kendo and why a police officer will train kendo might be completely different, but they are both learning kendo.

PAZ

No sparring?
    no just application. sparring is for practice, not test.

That's interesting about the medicine though...what accreditation does the association have in claiming to teach medicine?
    you cannot become a shrfu in our federation without learning to become a doctor. we get taught and certified through my shrfu who is a O.M.D and owns medical clinic incupertino just outside SF and then if you choose to go the other 4 years you can enroll through ACMAF into Beijing medical university.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."