Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations on TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Brendan Lai came to the US in 1961. He began teaching shortly after.

Gini Lau came to the US in the 70's. Early on, she taught her own classes out of Sifu Lai's studio.
    Lai sifu had a nice big studio. I liked his training methods.

I didn't know that about the connection between Gini Lau and Lai sifu. She was doing form competitions in the U.S. by about '75. My (hop ga) sifu's uncle was Tse Wing Bun of eagle claw fame.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    My cousin was learning White Crane from Ron Dong in the 70's(?)

I think that was the teacher. I was told they wore motorcycle helmets for headgear and got their clocks rocked.
    Not surprised. Ronald Dong was tough as nails. Probably still is, even though he retired from teaching.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Lai sifu had a nice big studio. I liked his training methods.

I didn't know that about the connection between Gini Lau and Lai sifu. She was doing form competitions in the U.S. by about '75. My (hop ga) sifu's uncle was Tse Wing Bun of eagle claw fame.
    Praying Mantis and Eagle Claw seems to have had friendly connections over the generations.

Sifu Lai also was friends with Lily Lau.

When Sifu Lai was recovering from a stroke, Lily Lau was one of the few people to spend time with him. A lot of others stayed away, and Lily Lau felt sorry for him and would make a point to be nice and talk to him when she saw him at events.

awesome stories you two.
    I remembering when i lived in SF, they said all the famous masters who were the best fighters from china Taiwan all lived here! I was like what about NYC? they always laugh.... seemed like that of a rap east coast/ west coast rivalry
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

jdhowland

Kuo Lien Ying taught quang ping tai chi

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    awesome stories you two.
    Couple funny stories about Mr. Louie, another big name back then.

I had a schoolmate that was learning Mr. Louie's Sil Lum. He was a pretty big guy, and liked to spar and was the captain of the fencing team at school.

Mr. Louie told him not to get into fights, and to run away if anybody tried to attack him. He further explained that this was so people wouldn't know that he had such a crappy student. This was his way to teach the student to be humble.

and...

One time, my sihing was working in Sifu Lai's store.

Two big loud arrogant american blackbelts came in to the store and started talking crap on kung fu and saying it had no power. They asked my sihing if he knew kung fu and if he thought kung fu had any power.

My sihing said, "I don't know. Why don't you ask that guy over there. He knows kung fu." Pointing towards a small Chinese guy off in the corner.

The two guys went over and one of them said, "Hey old man, does kung fu have any power? I don't think so."

All of a sudden there was a loud crash as Mr. Louie punched the guy in the chest and sent him flying. The guy turned purple as he tried to breathe. And his friend had to pick him up and carry him out of the store.

Mr. Louie had a temper, and he pointed his finger at the two and told them, "Does kung fu have power?!! That is only 10% of my power! If I use any more, you would be dead!"

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    I believe Kwong Wing Lam began teaching in the US in the 60s.
    He taught in Ohio for years before relocating to California.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Despite the gang warfare at the time people were very friendly and open about their practice. We just had to be careful about concealing our club uniforms when we went out for noodles.
    I was told there was quite a blow up between a famous praying mantis instructor's school and a CLF school back in the day. Apparently bones were broken. Anyone else hear about this sort of thing going on?
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

2 other early kung fu and tai chi teachers were Ark Yuey Wong and Lee Ying Arng.

I am less familiar with the former and somewhat familiar with the subject matter offered by the latter who published books and 8mm films on the subjects.

You can still see Lee Ying Arng's videos on Youtube. they're worth a look.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have taught fighter who have won in the UFC and the USMTA ans well as full contact tough man matches.
    What UFC winner did you teach and did he use TCMA techniques to win UFC?
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

What UFC winner did you teach and did he use
    TCMA techniques to win UFC?
    yes a combination of praying mantis shuai jiao and bjj, his name is Joel Sutton UFC #6 in Buffalo NY and UFC #7 in NC he won both his bouts.

UFC # 6 was nicknamed the blood batlle in Buffalo, the bloodiest UFC match in history at the time. my student headbutted his opponent split his forehead open then after being taken to the ground Joel slide his fingers inside the cut ripped it wide open and blood poured and sprayed all over the mat john McCarthy and the doctors stopped the match.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

yes a combination of praying mantis shuai jiao and bjj, his name is Joel Sutton UFC #6 in Buffalo NY and UFC #7 in NC he won both his bouts.

UFC # 6 was nicknamed the blood batlle in Buffalo, the bloodiest UFC match in history at the time. my student headbutted his opponent split his forehead open then after being taken to the ground Joel slide his fingers inside the cut ripped it wide open and blood poured and sprayed all over the mat john McCarthy and the doctors stopped the match.
    Would you say the reason UFC fighters don't use kung fu techniques anymore is because those moves are no longer allowed?
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Lol that's nasty
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    Would you say the reason UFC fighters don't use kung fu techniques anymore is because those moves are no longer allowed?
    Are you serious? Jab, cross, hook, overhand, spinning backfist, side kick, front kick, knee, elbow are not TCMA moves?

One of my old shifus has two former students in the UFC. TCMA is not just eye gouge and groin strike you know.

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    The martial arts they taught were Pan Gai Noon Gung Fu,...
    Do you mean Uechi Ryu Karate?