Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar Training Routine

Hung Gar Training Routine

Hi, I'm a 14 year old martial artist, currently practicing Aikido and Gong Fu. Do any of you have suggestions for a traditional training regime for Hung Gar or Choy Li Fut?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEChan View Post
    Hi, I'm a 14 year old martial artist, currently practicing Aikido and Gong Fu. Do any of you have suggestions for a traditional training regime for Hung Gar or Choy Li Fut?
    Yes. IN order to undertake a traditional regimen, you must take the traditional path. Find a teacher, commonly referred to as "sifu" (sea foo).

Go to a Hung Gar school or a ChoyliFut school.

Kung Fu isn't a self study type thing. It requires a lot of guidance up front and an empty cup.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Yes. IN order to undertake a traditional regimen, you must take the traditional path. Find a teacher, commonly referred to as "sifu" (sea foo).

Go to a Hung Gar school or a ChoyliFut school.

Kung Fu isn't a self study type thing. It requires a lot of guidance up front and an empty cup.

Well said David... hope you are well

I think he is looking for additional resources... he studies with me
    He is a very dedicated student and is always looking for ways to expand his knowledge and areas of training
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 01-14-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

HAHA! Sifu, I never would've guessed I would find you here! Yes, I've been following that routine that you gave me, but I feel like there is something missing... I changed a couple things:
    10 min warm up(jogging and jumping rope)
    5 min qigong
    10 min streching
    Kicks each x5
    stances(horse, bow, cat, crane, cross)
    strikes each (in horse stance) x10
    and then the blocking and striking combos

Overall, it takes me about 50 minutes to complete the entire thing, however, I want to know if or when I can progress. Should I practice the little I know of the Tiger Snake form? Can I add iron fist/arms/palm etc. training?

HAHA! Sifu, I never would've guessed I would find you here! Yes, I've been following that routine that you gave me, but I feel like there is something missing... I changed a couple things:
    5 min qigong
    10 min streching
    Kicks each x5

Overall, it takes me about 50 minutes to complete the entire thing, however, I want to know if or when I can progress. Should I practice the little I know of the Tiger Snake form? Can I add iron fist/arms/palm etc. training?
    I wouldn't do iron training yet, you should let yourself fully mature before doing that I think, in terms of physiologically not emotionally. Your bones and body are still growing at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I wouldn't do iron training yet, you should let yourself fully mature before doing that I think, in terms of physiologically not emotionally. Your bones and body are still growing at that age.
    Ok, what do you think of young shaolin disciples who practice iron head? Can that damage your body?

Blog Entries
    Do any of you have suggestions for a traditional training regime for Hung Gar or Choy Li Fut?
    I'm not a CLF guy but I do like this "haymaker" drills very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=t_uYiYGONfM
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Also,(simply out of interest) what would a typical Southern Gong Fu training session be like about 100-200 years ago? How do you think a traditional practitioner like lam sai wing or wong fei hung go about his/her thing? I know about modern methods of training, but I'm interested about my style's history as well as other styles.

I like seeing the enthusiasm of youth.

It's refreshing.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

I'm not a CLF guy either, but I thought those "haymakers" were a kind of takedown similar to the one seen in this vid about 5 secs in only more forceful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqMZM29PY4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I'm not a CLF guy either, but I thought those "haymakers" were a kind of takedown similar to the one seen in this vid about 5 secs in only more forceful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqMZM29PY4
    Haymaker + horse back kick = upper body control leg blocking throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvdERnYRtTw
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-15-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Ok, what do you think of young shaolin disciples who practice iron head? Can that damage your body?
    It all depends on how you train it of course, I'm just suggesting for your safety not to do it quite yet. Maybe you can still learn about it, delve into the history and training of it. I do iron skills training myself. Oh and always make sure you have dit da jow. As for the ye olde training sessions, not a southern guy myself either but training back then was brutal much more so today. But then you also imagine they had nowhere near the knowledge of human anatomy and structure as we do today and how we know that harshness and extreme exercise isn't the healthiest for our bodies. I like the routine you're into now and I give you respect I haven't exercised for months mainly because I'm lazy and I need to change that.

5 min qigong
    10 min streching
    Kicks each x5

Also I would add in some bag work, practice your strikes on a target. Get yourself some feel of hitting an actual object and develop some strength behind your punches and kicks. Do you have a hanging bag at all?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

I've always liked the CLF style haymakers too...

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Also I would add in some bag work, practice your strikes on a target. Get yourself some feel of hitting an actual object and develop some strength behind your punches and kicks. Do you have a hanging bag at all?
    No, I've tried investing in one, but I guess I forgot about it. If not bags, would a mook jong or something of that kind be a good substitute? Yes, I have made a makeshift wooden dummy two years ago that serves it's purpose well!