Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hung Gar Training Routine

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    with all due respect to everyone: i don't care what you say, if you strike with a fully extended arm and your elbow is is rotated any more than 90 degrees (ie,pointing upwards vs. to the side or downward, also indicated by the thumb pointing downward as contact is made with the fist or the hand) you shoulder is 'open' (sorry, i don't have TGY's terminology). 'open' as in the ball of the upper arm bone is not seated in/against the socket and the stresses are then carried soley on the soft tissues of the rotator cuff. long term, you will end up with tears.

all you have to do to test this is put your opposite hand on top of your shoulder and lift your elbow. you can feel what happens.
    are you talking about chap choi
    Last edited by bawang; 01-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    any punch where the arm is rotated along it's axis so the strike lands w/ the elbow pointed upwards...the thumb will be pointing downward.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

any punch where the arm is rotated along it's axis so the strike lands w/ the elbow pointed upwards...the thumb will be pointing downward.
    i dont know wat ur talking about. clf and longfist haymakers are done with arms straight.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i dont know wat ur talking about. clf and longfist haymakers are done with arms straight.
    yep this is ow i was taught it, check the video out at about the 1.50 mark for pad work, we do it very similar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmsr_5V62eU

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i think oso is talking about the chap choi in clf, where you slip between the guard and punch the eyes.
    thats hardly a haymaker though, thats more akin to an ovehand strike/

and those are used all the time in MMA, im thinking HE MEANS a haymaker hitting with the thumb side of the fist coming down at 45 degrees which would put the elbow in the position he is talking about, but in my lineage we dont really use that we hit as in that clip

if you connect with your fist/forearm while the elbow is pointed more than 90 degrees up from the side,
    The technique in question is the sau choi in which many people end the technique with the thumb angled slightly downward. It is important to note however that contact with that strike is made at the highest arc of the strike and not the finished position. That would mean the fist is actually in the normal position and not with the thumb facing down.

The yum chop choi is a strike delivered with the thumb facing down. The arm should not be parallel to the ground however, but should be angled slightly downward.

as for these strikes being "bad" for your shoulder joint, I'm the one in the vid clip frost posted, and i can bee seen training all of the strikes mentioned against both targets that give and targets that have less give like heavey bags and jongs here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytjXyZUb8Q

I have been training these strikes like this for over 10 years and have had zero shoulder problems. Those problems can usually be avoided with proper knowledge of the correct range and "sweet spot" of the strikes as well as proper shoulder maintainence such as additional strength and flexibility training for the shoulder.

When I was 18 I broke my hand and had to get pins put in it for it to heal properly. My ortho told me that not only would I not be able to regain full range of motion with my fingers but I would never be able to punch again. I ignored his advice to quit training and not only do I have full range of motion but I can punch with it with no problem. Maybe little old chinese dudes dont know everything but then either does your ortho
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    The technique in question is the sau choi in which many people end the technique with the thumb angled slightly downward. It is important to note however that contact with that strike is made at the highest arc of the strike and not the finished position. That would mean the fist is actually in the normal position and not with the thumb facing down.

The yum chop choi is a strike delivered with the thumb facing down. The arm should not be parallel to the ground however, but should be angled slightly downward.

as for these strikes being "bad" for your shoulder joint, I'm the one in the vid clip frost posted, and i can bee seen training all of the strikes mentioned against both targets that give and targets that have less give like heavey bags and jongs here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytjXyZUb8Q

I have been training these strikes like this for over 10 years and have had zero shoulder problems. Those problems can usually be avoided with proper knowledge of the correct range and "sweet spot" of the strikes as well as proper shoulder maintainence such as additional strength and flexibility training for the shoulder.

When I was 18 I broke my hand and had to get pins put in it for it to heal properly. My ortho told me that not only would I not be able to regain full range of motion with my fingers but I would never be able to punch again. I ignored his advice to quit training and not only do I have full range of motion but I can punch with it with no problem. Maybe little old chinese dudes dont know everything but then either does your ortho
    thanks for posting, hope you didnt mind me using your clip but it was an excellent example of how we use that strike as well

Cool

No problem. I'm flattered that someone would use my vids as an example of how it should be done
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    thats hardly a haymaker though, thats more akin to an ovehand strike/

and those are used all the time in MMA, im thinking HE MEANS a haymaker hitting with the thumb side of the fist coming down at 45 degrees which would put the elbow in the position he is talking about, but in my lineage we dont really use that we hit as in that clip
    hes basically saying overhand strikes will injure you, and also mistaken chap choi for an overhand strike.

dont understand how someone who does powerlifting says this is unsafe. the irony
    Last edited by bawang; 01-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.

me? powerlifting? how's that ironic?

anyway, if the thumb is not rotated down, then ok, not what i meant. and, i don't know wtf chop choi is really so...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

me? powerlifting? how's that ironic?

anyway, if the thumb is not rotated down, then ok, not what i meant. and, i don't know wtf chop choi is really so...
    arent u a powerlifter or am i mistaken?

in chap choi the thumb can be rotated down but its not down at full power. its those weird leopard paw strikes with reall exaggerated wrist rotation.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.

no, not really a powerlifter by intention.