Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member saying hi.

New member saying hi.

Edit to add Im sorry if this is the wrong place for a introduction, but i could not find the intro forum. Please move if it is in wrong place.

Hi, im Kframe. I frequent a few different boards and try to use the same name at all of them.

WEll i have 1 year of martial arts experiance. I started in boxing and moved on to mma. I honestly would have loved to do some kind of real Kung fu, but the only school in my area is 45mins one way, which is way to far. Ps can anyone tell me if they are legit? http://www.wetoskey.com/ It seams as if you cant just study one thing. Sadly NE indiana has little in the way of kungfu. The rest of the TMA around me is mostly mcdojo tkd and karate.

So im doing my best Bruce Lee impression and just learning as much as i can, and making everything i learn my own. I have a good coach, with a good understanding of a lot of things.

It does sadden me that i cant take part in a martial art with a long lineage and well thought out training practices. I guess i could look at it this way. Boxing is a very old martial art, and i happen to love it. I guess i could say impart of something bigger but meh i still want more.

Well i look forward to reading much here, and some discussions. It seams this is a mature place, with decent people. Much better then sherdog.

Hi

You will be trolled here. But not like sherdog. Good luck.

syn what is sherdog
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

It's an MMA company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherdog

They have co sponsored some events, but mostly they sell t-shirts and talk about MMA. They have a radio show etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Kframe View Post
    Edit to add Im sorry if this is the wrong place for a introduction, but i could not find the intro forum. Please move if it is in wrong place.

Hi, im Kframe. I frequent a few different boards and try to use the same name at all of them.

WEll i have 1 year of martial arts experiance. I started in boxing and moved on to mma. I honestly would have loved to do some kind of real Kung fu, but the only school in my area is 45mins one way, which is way to far. Ps can anyone tell me if they are legit? http://www.wetoskey.com/ It seams as if you cant just study one thing. Sadly NE indiana has little in the way of kungfu. The rest of the TMA around me is mostly mcdojo tkd and karate.

So im doing my best Bruce Lee impression and just learning as much as i can, and making everything i learn my own. I have a good coach, with a good understanding of a lot of things.

It does sadden me that i cant take part in a martial art with a long lineage and well thought out training practices. I guess i could look at it this way. Boxing is a very old martial art, and i happen to love it. I guess i could say impart of something bigger but meh i still want more.

Well i look forward to reading much here, and some discussions. It seams this is a mature place, with decent people. Much better then sherdog.
    If you're comfortable with what you're learning that's good enough. If it is providing you with a path to your goal then go for it.

If you really wanted to get into the long storied lineages etc then you have to go to them. They don't tend to be in convenient locations.

welcome to the board.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Hi

You will be trolled here. But not like sherdog. Good luck.
    what r u talking about? we don't do that sort of thing here

'nard...

Welcome. I'd say to train hard and learn everything you can in your current situation. This will serve you well on its own, and also act a good base for future learning of other styles.

Welcome Kframe!

There is nothing necessarily special about the older ways. They are well worth training if what you want is broad experience. But older is not necessarily better. Take what you can get for now and see what the future holds.

Ha!! Go back!!! It's a trick!!!

Some discussions are mature, some are not. Just grow a thick skin and be discerning. Try not to take too much personally, don't engage with people that you don't like or find do not have anything to offer but their bad attitudes and you'll do fine!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 01-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Boxing not "modern" by any standards, and has a fine tradition on its own. Also, having a solid foundation in Boxing will make you a much better gongfu person in the future, if you find a place to train.

People who have a solid foundation in "modern" or "sport" martial arts tend to have a better perspective and understand the context a little better when they go to a "traditional" martial art in the future, than the people who don't have that foundation. At least this is my experience.

Well said, pazman

See When Boxing was a Martial Art: The Sweet Science of Bare-knuckle Pugilism by Frank Allen.

Welcome Kframe. Keep your sense of humor and you'll be fine here. Good luck!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Welcome,

Watch out for the cupcakes.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Welcome Kframe!

There is nothing necessarily special about the older ways. They are well worth training if what you want is broad experience. But older is not necessarily better. Take what you can get for now and see what the future holds.

Ha!! Go back!!! It's a trick!!!

Some discussions are mature, some are not. Just grow a thick skin and be discerning. Try not to take too much personally, don't engage with people that you don't like or find do not have anything to offer but their bad attitudes and you'll do fine!

most of all, don't believe a word that this "Scott" person tells you, as it seems he's not quite himself most of the time...

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Thanks all for the kind words. I agree that if i want to do kung fu in the future ill need to travel for it. I would go to that Wetosky place, but the stuff they teach is all fairly modern stuff. I have never heard of Jun Fan.

Im happy were i am now and will be here for the forceable future. I love the mix of things im learning. My coach encourages me to try new things from different arts. I need to get that bood on boxing, that looks like a good read.

What i dont understand is why is no one trying to revive the skills and techniques that art contained? As a striking style the BNB would be very viable for MMA and the street and what not.

SKM a fellow from Indiana! What style are you practicing?
    Last edited by Kframe; 01-17-2013 at 04:33 PM.

jun fan gung fu is the name of the gung fu school that bruce lee opened. i have not looked at this place to see the connection though.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.