Thread: Eagle Claw's New Beginner Form

Eagle Claw's New Beginner Form

This is a routine I assembled some years back. I wouldn't say created as they movements come from preexisting material. Like to know what you think and if you've been creative as well in your style/school.

Since Eagle Claw Style is known for their grabbing movements, it tended to confuse beginners who's mindset was more easily able to absorb the concepts of striking.

This idea came from the now popular ng bo kuen/wubuquan - 5 step fist set done mostly by contemporary long fist styles.

This is the 2nd of 3 routines that were put together for beginners introductory level 1. Bat Bo Sek 2. Bat Bo Da 3. Bat Bo Gerk. They are simple routines that run linear across the floor then back training the opposite side of the body.

"8 Step Strike"
    1. Horse Stance – double punch (right then left)
    2. Turn Left Bow Stance – Left extended outside block, Right Straight Punch, Left Straight Punch
    3. Left Hook Down – Step Right Lead Cat Stance –Right hanging palm
    4. Lift into a Right Leg Hanging Stance – Left High Horn Punch – Right Inside Cutting Forearm Strike
    5. Right Leg stomps down into a Left Lead Light stance – Left Descending Clearing Hook to back – right Pull Back fist to chamber –straight punch
    6. Turn Left foot to descending into a Left Sitting Stance – Left fist to chamber – right inside cutting forearm strike
    7. Right Leg comes from behind to rise up then descend into a Right Lead Pressing Stance – Left & Right palm cross then separate with Left palm overhead block and Right descending pressing edge palm
    8. Rise up with left leg going being right into a Left Lead Steal Stance – right elbow prom – left clearing palm then a right side hammer strike with left guarding hand.
    9. Turn around into a horse stance Left extended outside block – right straight punch.
    10. Repeat opposite direction. Mirror Techniques - #1Double Punch (left then right) etc.

Blog Entries
    Just a quick observation...

But why does not the figure look more more like you?

You're the creator man..."Do the Dew"

Jokes aside...one common trait you should look too when attempting this is IMO to "complete the thought or the idea"

...as in, when you open a gate = walk through it for example.

In most well established styles you'll see this concept. So you deal with something in a high gate for example...then your low gate is possibly open and vise versa.

The worst offenders of this is IMO trying to (painfully) watch on ESPN some Forms / music competitors doing their mabe up routines.

Side kick in North direction = ok.... Turn 90 deg throw a random block and then do nothing but suddenly spin in separate direction and drop and punch and scream.

ARGGGHH, it's enough to want to claw your own eyes out.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Blog Entries
    The 1st move "Horse Stance – double punch (right then left)" may be good to train beginners. It has little or no value in combat. IMO, a good design form should use one move to set up next move. This way you can integrate "solo form training" and "partner training" as one.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Ngokfei,
    Why not just use the standard longfist eight step and give it some Eagle Claw flavor?

yep its more a training form for beginners. Simple isolated movements that train basic stance stepping foundation and body limb extension.

I personally feel that partner forms are good for agility and timing but not so much for actual fighting skills. partner drills of specific technique sequences is the best. Actually having done grappling as a major portion of my original system, I've learned that the Horse STance punching is great when your on top spreading the opponents legs - sure he'll eventually grab your ankles but thats easily solved by shifting your weight forward to your knees and simply fall on them while still raining down punches.

for fighting I still prefer to teach basic boxing for the 1st month, you can't beat it for practicality. Students are able to see and apply realistic techniques so that they can even actually spar effectively within only a few sessions.

I've trained the Ng Bo Kuen, Bat bo lin wan kuen & sup bat lohan Long Fist Series but have disposed of them. Too many sets in the system already. These are only training routines that can be done as line basics up and down the room.

Also in the age of marketing competition its a good thing to have basic material/ IE; routines not taught in other schools - I get alot of "School/Style Jumping" clients who just want to learn something new. I remember talking to Brendan Lai back in the 90's of how he wanted to have all the schools in his area only teach "Gung Lek Kuen" to beginner students - a way to prevent school/style jumpers. Good for quality control but not a good idea for making $$.
    Last edited by ngokfei; 01-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.