Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...you don't need MA experience..

So...you don't need MA experience..

Luke Goss, the actor that played the BAD GUY in Blade 2 and Prince Nuada in Hell boy 2 has NO MA background !!

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...gosswalton.htm

Question: Don't you have a martial arts background?

Goss: No. Blade II was a huge help for me. We did 10 weeks of training and then a couple of other movies after that, and it's an asset that you've done a lot of fight training. You acquire an ability and makes sense to kind of encourage it any time you can.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Not surprised. The Nuada stuff was ok...

But the blade 2 fights... not at all impressive.

And think about Keanu Reeve's martial arts background... and yet... the matrix.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Not surprised. The Nuada stuff was ok...

But the blade 2 fights... not at all impressive.

And think about Keanu Reeve's martial arts background... and yet... the matrix.
    Dude, the guy had NO MA experience.

havnt seen Nuada but i own blade 2. (donnie yen is in it, briefly, but he plays a japanese well....as long as hes a mute )

in that one his character doesnt come off as any sort of martial artists, but a berzerker with a couple of power house attacks.

a good example is when blade is using his awesome sword, yet dude rips a piece of rebarb out of the ground with a huge chunk of concrete still on it and starts cavemanning it like a wild man.

is nuada a MA movie?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Nuada is the badguy in Hellboy II.
    (The alternate way of looking at it is that Nuada is the goodguy in Hellboy II in that his grievance is legitimate and he starts off as the wronged party. He's still a psycho though.)

And IIRC Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishbourne and Carrie Ann Moss had no MA background. In fact I think I remember reading about an interview with Yuen Wuping complaining about it...
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Nuada is the badguy in Hellboy II.
    (The alternate way of looking at it is that Nuada is the goodguy in Hellboy II in that his grievance is legitimate and he starts off as the wronged party. He's still a psycho though.)

And IIRC Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishbourne and Carrie Ann Moss had no MA background. In fact I think I remember reading about an interview with Yuen Wuping complaining about it...
    And they sucked the bag.

Jason Statham had no prior MA skill either, did he?
    Or even Daniel Craig, correct?

hey don't forget buffy the vampire slayer...

Sarah Michelle Gellar used a stunt double for martial arts scenes so it doesn't really count.
    Simon McNeil

Here is the thing though, and why I created this thread, how many times do we hear that it takes YEARS to be proficient in a MA?
    How its all about the years and years of training.
    Then some cites a sport combat art and how they are able to use their skills or have "competent" skills in, some cases, months.
    Of course that is typically countered by the, "their skill level is lacking and they don't LOOK like they are doing a MA".
    Well, these guys LOOK like they are doing a MA, they LOOK like they are trained, in some case they look better than guys that have been doing it for years, and they only have half a dozen months of training.

SR, a secret:

when I was in high school I did writer's craft. One of our assignments was to make a short film. So some buddies of mine and I went out into the bush with a video camera, a flat of iced tea, a 26er of vodka and made a martial arts movie.

We had, between the four of us, a green belt in tae kwon do and my grab-bag of (mainly) wrestling and kickboxing-like fighting.

The final product - made by drunk high school students (of legal drinking age) - for a budget of less than $30 didn't look half bad. With careful use of camera angles and some post-production editing even the guys with absolutely no martial arts background looked like they could fight.

Now, imagine sober professionals with the time and money to do it right...

Not saying you are wrong.

Just saying - that's the "magic" of hollywood.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Here is the thing though, and why I created this thread, how many times do we hear that it takes YEARS to be proficient in a MA?
    How its all about the years and years of training.
    Then some cites a sport combat art and how they are able to use their skills or have "competent" skills in, some cases, months.
    Of course that is typically countered by the, "their skill level is lacking and they don't LOOK like they are doing a MA".
    Well, these guys LOOK like they are doing a MA, they LOOK like they are trained, in some case they look better than guys that have been doing it for years, and they only have half a dozen months of training.
    Here's my two cents

They might look better because they have the time to train with a dedicated trainer for hours and hours a day plus, how many techniques are they really learning, they are basically practicing a kata over and over a again that has limited moves. When you have hours to practice as opposed to the average MA who trains, what twice a week, it makes a difference. Then there's the whole hollywood thing where fights could be made to look better using smart editing, lighting, vfx, etc.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Jason Statham had no prior MA skill either, did he?
    Or even Daniel Craig, correct?
    Statham had previous MA experience from years and years ago. i watched an interview right after the first transporter was made and he was talking about what it was like to start practicing again and how he was able to pick up the flexability and movements kind of quick.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

well in that respect so did laurence fishburne who use to take kung fu as a teen.i've seen people with years and years of ma experience suck ass atg screen fighting, and i've seen virtual novices look like masters, its all about being a performer knowing how to "act" the fight, luke goss has that ability in spades and i'm sure he has done some ma training inbetween blade2 and hellboy2.