Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sifu title in 4 months time??

Sifu title in 4 months time??

Ok, I had to check to see if I'm losing my mind. One of my ex-students who only trained with me for a little over a month total, and has been with his second teacher (call him 'Sifu xyz') for only the past 4 months is now calling himself 'Sifu' and charging money to teach.

6 weeks ago, one of my sihings and I visited 'Sifu xyz's backyard training area to help them with some very light sparring to prep for a tourney they wanted to enter at my ex student's request. Their skill was exactly what you would expect for guys only having trained a few months at the time - decent enough guys with great attitudes, but VERY green skills, an overinflated opinion in said skills, and couldn't even defend against a basic light jab.

And now I see that 2 of those students (my ex student included) are now calling themselves Sifu and charging money for instruction after only 4 months of training - all with Sifu xyz's full permission and approval. Am I the only one that sees a problem with any of this?

Here is their ad. To me it seems like a LOT of information to get down in such a short time to start calling yourself a sifu, but what to I know!

Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Chinese kickboxing, TaeKwonDo, HapKiDo, and Jiu Jitsu. Pitbull Way Fighting Systems created by Sifu [xyz]. Whether it be self defense, ring fighting, or success in your career and marriage anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Contact Sifu [xx] or Sifu [yy] to set up a time to come in. We do regular classes and personal training. Contact us if your dedicated to changing your life for the better.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 01-18-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

They are also teaching career and marriage skills?
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

In 4 months time, they could be a Sifu of washing jock straps.

I think you should post their names just so anyone without experience, looking for a teacher, doesn't waste time or money, or pick up bad habits.

If they feel qualified to teach, and charge for it, after 4 months, then they shouldn't mind a little free advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I agree with MasterKiller, who cares what your ex-student does. Make it clear to all parties involved that they do not use your name/or school's name for any advertising purposes nor do they claim to have trained with you or at your school.

A lot of traditionalist have issues with guys like this and I understand why from a traditionalist mind set, but the reality is, is this is America and whether we agree or not these guys have the right to do their own thing. So if they want to be called Sifu, who cares?

people are not retards, those guys arent gonna get a lot of students.

i sympathize with you on feeling betrayed though. thats why its important to observe your students character in traditional kung fu.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You know, it really only takes about 15 seconds to google this guy's name. You listed his business name. Its not hard to get from A to B. And what you've left out (if his bio is truthful) is that he's been training in martial arts of some sort, off-and-on since 1977. If his bio is truthful, he's also probably seen more combat than you from his time in the Army.

Now frankly, other than the craptastical way you are seeking self affirmation on the forums, the mess is uninteresting. Since you left out his supposed bio from your post, how am I to believe you to be truthful in your claim that they can't even defend a "basic light jab?"

Lastly, what difference does it make? If you're both being truthful, then he's just another TMA'er that's been training his whole life and still can't defend himself against a 5 year old with a paper bag....how is this any different than the rest of the TMA'ers out there? Seems pretty standard really.

Shaolin,
    I don't feel betrayed by him, I only taught him for a month total and he isn't using my name in his promotions. I just feel for the poor student he collects money from to teach this stuff. And, I think this type of thing is exactly what gives the rest of us a bad name & image in the TCMA world.

Soco, I you're grabbing at straws. It's not such a 'big secret' that I didn't want people to find him, otherwise I wouldn't have copy/pasted the ad. I just didn't want to mention his name here because I wanted to show some decency. I don't care if people look him up.

And, before you start your sad accususations about me with all your assumptions, you need to gain some reading comprehension skills, because you don't know what you are talking about.
    Here are the facts: If you did your 'homework' correctly, it is my ex-student's teacher (sifu xyz) that claims to have been training since 1977. As I already have stated, it is my ex-student that is now calling himself 'sifu' hasn't even been alive that long. I know this because, as I have said, he was my student and is only in his early 20's. I also know this because, as I said in my first post, I have been to the new training ground and met them all.

Finally, if the mess is uninteresting, why did you go thru the trouble to look them up? And since it is so uninteresting to you, I assume you will have no further comments on this thread.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

do you train wing chun?

Wait for it.....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Because you're on here *****ing in a way like you need to reaffirm your own ego. This happens all the time in martial arts. Just move on.

As for my comprehension, I'll give a **** when its something other than school girlish gossip mining. This place is just a break from things of actual intellectual value.

And again, with so many schools out there pumping "black belts" in a year or two, what makes this deal so special? It's par for the course.

If you cared so much about cleaning up TMA from this kind of crap, you'd be better served spreading this info in your own community. It does no good here. Or perhaps, maybe you should you know, be the responsible teacher and expose his ego in a way he'll actually learn. Rather than complaining on a forum. Besides, something tells me back yards kung fu boy won't be collecting much more than laughs anyways.

Was this guy under you and jumped right into the other school, or was there a layover? Because frankly, after even a month, he should be able to "defend a basic light jab." Maybe there's enough lapse in responsibility for you all to go around....

Now this will be my last post on this thread. He's a stupid kid. But you're own ego is the one I see right now that needs be pulled in check. U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    They are also teaching career and marriage skills?
    I laughed, but admittedly these are more useful than martial arts.

SoCo, this has nothing to do with my ego, and this isn't a b!tch fest as your cheap attempt tries to paint it.
    And it's not really just about my one ex student either, which is why I didn't name names in the first place (I've seen this type of thing more than I would expect lately). This thread is more about the state of TCMA's and what it is becoming in a lot of areas, as well as the bad image it things like this gives the rest of us. So, I was curious if anyone else saw a problem with it?
    I don't care who it is, 'Sifu' title in 4 months? You feel this is normal?

Again, for one that has so little interest, you sure have a lot to say. I'd call that trolling, but it doesn't matter because you won't be posting on this thread anymore. So long!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 01-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.

i think the source of all your troubles is because wing chun

at least your student didnt try to ask for "friendly game of chi sao" and film it