Thread: Dororo

Dororo

This is a pretty cool movie, imo. I enjoyed the humor and story in this one, and there are some pretty decent fights. If you are into Japanese fantasy films, this is one to catch. Good quality production. This is about a hungry warlord that is losing his war against his adversaries...so to turn the tide he makes a deal with 48 demons, promising 48 of his unborn son's body parts, one to each of them. The boy is abandoned at birth and found by a healer who produces new body parts for the boy as he grows. (the date is something like 3034 or something the guy uses part science and part magic to produce this feat) After his foster father's death, the young man begins his quest to regain his lost body parts by hunting down and slaying the demons. In each of his arms he has a sword blade, that he can remove his forearm and hand to wield. In his left arm is a mystic demon slaying blade that he uses to dispatch the foul creatures. With each demon's death, he regains one of his lost body parts.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Good call, Lucas. Thanks for the rec!

This flick had almost everything I look for in Japanese cinema - swordfights, tokusatsu, surreal demons, creepy baby ghosts, sword hotties, samurai family politrix and a Frankenstein-Edward-samurai-sword-hands hero. Seriously, it was good fun. I was loving the demons and my only criticism is that they sort of fell to the wayside towards the end when the family issues arose. But the film kept me amused throughout.

They need to make a sequel. It's totally set up for a sequel. It's based on an old manga, which was apparently made into an anime series in the late 60s.

Check this out:
    Ernesto Foronda Working on Film Adaptation of Dororo Manga
    posted on 2012-03-05 15:30 EST
    Osamu Tezuka's supernatural manga received Japanese live-action adaptation in 2007

The Indiewire film news website posted an interview with director and producer Ernesto Foronda on Monday, in which Foronda told Indiewire, "I'm working on ... an adaptation of legendary manga artist Osamu Tezuka's Dororo." Foronda did not specifically say if the film would be live-action.

Foronda directed and wrote the upcoming film Sunset Stories, and has worked as a music consultant for Fast & Furious and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. He also wrote and produced the 2002 film Better Luck Tomorrow.

Osamu Tezuka's Dororo adventure story follows Hyakkimaru, a rōnin samurai who lost 48 body parts to his father's pact with demons, after he is abandoned as an infant and raised by a doctor who restored his body with prosthetics. A vagabond boy thief named Dororo joins Hyakkimaru as they journey to find the demons and restore Hyakkimaru's body. The manga has inspired two 1969 anime series, a 2007 live-action movie, and two games; the 2004 PlayStation 2 version was released in English as Blood Will Tell.

Vertical licensed the three-volume series and release it in 2008. Vertical also released a one-volume omnibus edition of the series last month. The manga won the Will Eisner Award for Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Japan in 2009.

Akihiko Shiota directed the 2007 live-action adaptation of Dororo, which starred Kou Shibasaki (Battle Royale's Mitsuko Sōma) and Satoshi Tsumabuki (Dragon Head's Teru Aoki). Universal Studios Home Video released the film on DVD in North America in September 2008.
    original reference below:
    Meet the 2012 SXSW Filmmakers #11: Silas Howard & Ernesto Foronda, 'Sunset Stories'

Silas Howard and Ernesto Foronda
    "Sunset Stories" directors Silas Howard and Ernesto Foronda have an interesting take on filmmaking: "All film production feels like painting a picture on the railroad tracks with a train barreling down on you," says Howard. "You can paint up until the last minute pulling it off the tracks before the train smashes into your work." Looks like they pulled off the tracks in time, as "Sunset Stories" will be screening at this year's SXSW Film Festival.

What It's About: It’s about an OCD nurse who runs into her past while on route to pick up an organ transplant and the 24-hour journey she goes on to find all that she lost.

The Directors Say: "In 'Sunset Stories,' May blames magical thinking (which is often linked to OCD behavior a way of trying to control one’s life) as the reason she runs into the one person she left 5 years prior. However the story really examines how one finds the strength to admit, and perhaps be released from, a regret. Lily Tomlin has a great quote: 'Forgiveness is letting go of the hope of changing your past.' I think that theme is in there too. The story plays with interconnection between the cast of lost characters, who take or end up with the cooler, each echoing this idea of running versus letting go.

"In our past work, both of us have focused on showing lives often 'othered' in film and recasting them in stories where they are front and center – the hero rather than the sidekick. They function as fully realized characters, imperfect and fallible, but not serving a lesser purpose most 'othered' characters often do. We want to keep furthering representation of marginalized characters in new, challenging, fun and exciting ways.

"It's okay to wear your heart on your sleeve. Being emotional - being able to laugh and cry when you want - is powerful. No matter who you are, you are in control of your own story/destiny and everyone deserves a happy ending. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

What the Directors Expect in Austin: "Fun. Brisket. See amazing films. Geek out. It’s been a long haul and the team is ready for some entertainment. Believe me just to enjoy the festival as a goal, is huge. Filmmaking can take the fun out of anything but we love it so because we are crazy. And of course we very much hope the people at SXSW enjoy and connect with our movie."

What Silas Is Up To: "I was raised in working class, rural Vermont towns by my young, ambitious father. The first film that really formed me was One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest, my mom took me to see while visiting her. I was probably too young too see such a film. However when Big Red threw the water fountain through the window and escaped I was hooked by the power visual storytelling, especially for those existing outside ‘normalcy’. I started making films out of an intense desire to see stories of the world I knew up on the big screen and a complete ignorance of how much work it would be, now I'm in too far to turn back.

"I’m developing an adaptation of Michelle Tea’s novel, 'Chelsea Whistile'…if Holden Caulfield was a 13-year-old girl in a working class town on a search for a rumored dead runaway. Two other projects in the wings; one about a washed-up 80’s TV star who takes a job impersonating himself in Vegas and a feature based on the life of 1940’s jazz musician, Billy Tipton, who was discovered at the time of his death to have been born female."

What Ernesto Is Up To: "I was born in the Philippines and an aunt had taken me along to see 'Jaws' as a young child. I was totally hooked (pun, intended) then. To this day I have a great love for horror films and nervously laugh at the worst moments. I moved to the infamous OC as a young boy and my parents couldn’t afford childcare while they worked so I spent most of my afternoons at the multiplex going from movie to movie. While I struggled to fit in as an immigrant, I found shelter and acceptance in the dark theater. Even then, I knew that I wanted to make films.

"I'm working on an adaptation of Scott Heim's ('Mysterious Skin') novel, 'We Disappear' and an adaptation of legendary manga artist Osamu Tezuka's ('Astro Boy) 'Dororo'. I am also developing two micro-budgeted features, one about the end of the world and another about gay man's obsession with fatherhood, none of which are comedies."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Totally agree. I'm looking forward to a sequal being done. I like how the movie ended, (minor spoiler but not really)with the brother and the honor involved and all that. Plus that sword he got looks SIIICCKKKK!!!!!
    Last edited by Lucas; 01-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.