Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wu Sau: Positioning, Reference and Gate Stratagy

Hybrid View

Wu Sau: Positioning, Reference and Gate Stratagy

Recently, There was a mysteriously vanishing thread featuring an interview where, an idea of keeping wu sau off side as a neutral or default position was presented as standard to the course. Meaning, that the wu sau and possibly mun sau are typically on one side of the line...'drawing' or encouraging attackes to come in through available gates. Narrowing access and response. Giving one an advantage of 'drawing'. Is this standard VT???
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 01-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Recently, There was a mysteriously vanishing thread featuring an interview where, an idea of keeping wu sau off side as a neutral or default position was presented as standard to the course. Meaning, that the wu sau and possibly mun sau are typically on one side of the line...'drawing' or encouraging attackes to come in through available gates. Narrowing access and response. Giving one an advantage of 'drawing'. Is this standard VT???
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The question is not quite clear.

Lots of terms above can vary in meaning - depending on user and context-- such as

offside, neutral, drawing and standard VT.

FWIW IMO--wu saus are often used in man sau- but depending on context other motions when properly done can also be man sau- asking hands,
    When you and your shadow are in squared up position wu is usually right at the center as in slt.
    In attack it usually attacks the center line from different angles..when used defensively or as a back up for bong sao in lop sao it can appear superficially to be off center-but it always should protect your axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The question is not quite clear.

Lots of terms above can vary in meaning - depending on user and context-- such as

offside, neutral, drawing and standard VT.

FWIW IMO--wu saus are often used in man sau- but depending on context other motions when properly done can also be man sau- asking hands,
    When you and your shadow are in squared up position wu is usually right at the center as in slt.
    In attack it usually attacks the center line from different angles..when used defensively or as a back up for bong sao in lop sao it can appear superficially to be off center-but it always should protect your axis.
    Wu Sau: Defending hand
    Mun Sau: Asking hand
    Off Side: Residing arbitrarily on one side or the other
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 01-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Wu Sau: Defending hand
    Mun Sau: Asking hand
    Off Side: Residing arbitrarily on one side or the other
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know what wu sao is in simple definition- but then there are details--the fingers, the bridge and the elbow.

Mun sai can also be a function-the asking.

Arbitrarily? No comprende!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know what wu sao is in simple definition- but then there are details--the fingers, the bridge and the elbow.

Mun sai can also be a function-the asking.

Arbitrarily? No comprende!!
    I know you know... No details like that. The idea is ' from neutral position. reside one side so attackes come through the other one side...thus giving the 'feeder' the advantage. Didn't you see the video?

I know you know... No details like that. The idea is ' from neutral position. reside one side so attackes come through the other one side...thus giving the 'feeder' the advantage. Didn't you see the video?
    _______--------------------------------

I guess that I did nit see the video that you are referring to-I just saw your post.
    Yes as a driil you can sometimes deliberately appear to be off center, provided you are prepared
    for what may come..

Mmmmmmm

SLT is not a fighting form. Its an exercise and one dimensional. The whole form is abstract and made up of lots of elements to develop and improve the usage of the elbow fundamental to all VT actions. In SLT we do not pivot or step and Wu Sau is held on center so as not to confuse the student to early. We are not fighting anybody in SLT. Its for training only.
    In Chum Kiu we do pivot and step so Wu Sau is not held on the centerline as it is in SLT any longer. It's a common problem that most VT systems have.
    With Wu Sau held in the correct position we can protect our center, intercept a linear attack (to clear the way for the punch) and turn the opponent away in one action. With Wu Sau on center this is not possible and people will shift to the outside to make it work. If Wu Sau is correct we can also cut the opponents line of attack and the step actually goes inside......into punching distance so we do not usually have to make two steps.

Easily shown but hard to explain in text although it is easy to say that Wu Sau from SLT is not for fighting. In CK it is but there is a slight shift in thinking between the two forms.

If you stand in YJKYM with wu-sau right on the center as in SNT, then shift and throw up a bong-sau as in CK, your wu-sau shouldn't change position and is still on the central line between you and your opponent. Two things are identical between those two postures, your head and your wu-sau.

What's this about the SNT wu-sau not for fighting? Drawing a wu-sau in guides the incoming attack on the outside of your arm down and off to the side, with or without a shift, same action.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    If you stand in YJKYM with wu-sau right on the center as in SNT, then shift and throw up a bong-sau as in CK, your wu-sau shouldn't change position and is still on the central line between you and your opponent. Two things are identical between those two postures, your head and your wu-sau.

What's this about the SNT wu-sau not for fighting? Drawing a wu-sau in guides the incoming attack on the outside of your arm down and off to the side, with or without a shift, same action.
    Sorry I don't agree. If you pivot your body is facing at an angle which means if you hold Wu Sau the same as in SLT it will also be facing in that direction. Wu Sau changes position because of this and is relative to your opponent.

I used to think the same way as you but my thinking has changed and it can be clearly seen and explained by somebody that has a that idea.

Wu Sau does not draw in an incoming attack.

That is another useless idea and method created by a lot of WC systems. Wu Sau in SLT is for position and training.

You can imagine my surprise when I had it explained differently after years and years and thinking I knew it all. I also used to think it was for drawing attacks etc etc etc. I later found out the error of my ways and came back down to Earth with a bang.

If somebody had said to me 6 years ago SLT was not for fighting I would have told them to f&&k off. Much like you will do now I expect

Better just to say we have different ideas.....I like the WSLPB way

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Sorry I don't agree. If you pivot your body is facing at an angle which means if you hold Wu Sau the same as in SLT it will also be facing in that direction. Wu Sau changes position because of this and is relative to your opponent.
    That's moving your wu-sau with your shifting, not holding wu-sau in space and shifting your body around it.

Hold wu-sau as in SNT and shift everything but the wu-sau. Lift up your bong-sau and you're in the exact position as found in CK or MYJ, with wu-sau on the central line. The wu-sau is in the same position relative to your opponent, whether in SNT, CK, or MYJ. It's not ever held to the side off that line.

Wu Sau does not draw in an incoming attack.
    Didn't say it does. Wu-sau can do a number of things. One of those is drawing in as in SNT, yet with forward energy. That doesn't draw in the incoming attack. It guides it down and off to the side as I said. It works with or without a shift, depending on what is advantageous for the situation, and of course in cooperation with the other hand.

Wu Sau in SLT is for position and training.
    According to you, it's not a position applicable to fighting. So what position and training? Why train a position you're not going to use?
    Last edited by LFJ; 01-22-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Tell me if im right

ARE you saying your normal wu sau is basically where you left foot is forward and your left arm (wu/mun) is out above your knee while you back wu sau is at your elbow...

offside would be you meeting/leading hand (wu/mun) would be on the same side as your back foot. While our lead foot is on the opposite side...

In short

Normal: Lead Foot Left Side, Lead Hand(wu/mun) Left side

Offside: Lead Foot Left Side, Lead Hand(wu/mun) Right side

{The Reverse of the offside is applicable too}

Baiscally the Normal way is to give your opponent distance from your centerline. The Offside way is to draw them in to your centerline so you can force them bridge by overcommitting. any way if the way i explained it makes any sense let me know...it was a tactic i adopted for bigger opponents.

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

@Yoshiyahu

The idea is presented in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmA3MsS9kU

It's holding the wu-sau near the inside shoulder, rather than on the center, reducing the opponent's options and facilitating interception.

@Yoshiyahu

It's holding the wu-sau near the inside shoulder, rather than on the center, reducing the opponent's options and facilitating interception.
    A small idea.

@Yoshiyahu

OOh i disagree then....

I can see doing it for training to make you faster maybe...but not realistic in sparring.

If your hands are all on one side...then Im not going to attack straight either imma hit your open gate...since its wide open why go to the center when i can hit you with a Hook?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"