Wing Chun use of Fook Sao/u

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

The angles you use are wrong, you are getting away with it because the guy stops and doesnt follow in ...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 01-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Complete nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Complete nonsense
    Yep... utter nonsense!!

What he should be doing is showing his unmatched chi-sao skills, with compliant students, on endless youtube clips!!

Oh, too late.... someone has already done that

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The angles you use are wrong, you are getting away with it because the guy stops and doesnt follow in ...
    My angles are correct for my Wing Chun.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Yep... utter nonsense!!

What he should be doing is showing his unmatched chi-sao skills, with compliant students, on endless youtube clips!!

Oh, too late.... someone has already done that
    My teachings are based on my having competed many times so I do know what will work against a resisting opponent. Btw, I'm demonstrating in those clips for my for students. What you think doesn't really matter to me. I train fighters even now. And I can still fight with what I teach. Who ever said I had unmatched chi sao skills? You made that up on your own. LOL
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-25-2013 at 02:49 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I got away with it when I fought CLF guys. ;-) When I'm in NY I can demonstrate it on you and you really try to hit me. I should be back in April. I'll let you know when in advance when I'll be there.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I got away with it when I fought CLF guys. ;-) When I'm in NY I can demonstrate it on you and you really try to hit me. I should be back in April. I'll let you know when in advance when I'll be there.
    Shame I'm not in NYC because you wouldn't get away with that circling fook sau/ huen sau nonsense on me Phil.

I like some of your stuff, but that's not even a fuk-sau as I know it, although it has the hand shape from SNT. Fuk-sau is a suppressing energy concept, not a hook shape or technique.

The response doesn't seem very direct or efficient to me. It's 4 things in response to a single punch, on the wrong side, and trying to get to the outside of a round attack for no practical reason. There's jat, hyun, paak + che-jeung. It should be over with the jat against any live opponent.

First of all, you do a jat-sau on the inside of the opposite arm and that's not going to jerk their second punch straight into you before you can do the rest? Who's gonna stand there like that and let you circle their hand around, step out, slap it away and hit them?

We have a somewhat similar hyun/jam action in the dummy form we were just discussing on the Wu-sau thread, keeping the elbow down and all that partially for the reason you were explaining... but it's a recovery from being on the wrong side if we even end up there, which we shouldn't. And the hyun-sau spins them and the jam-sau is the strike right away, in one beat. There's no time for 4 things against a single punch. The jat-sau + che-jeung that sometimes follows in the dummy form may be a second response if they raise that arm again, but really none of it is a set sequence with 4 things in response to a single punch as you do.

Not only do you intentionally go to the wrong side, but you do it with a jat-sau and then follow up with 3 more things as if the jat-sau has no effect, where likely it'll help pull them in as they keep coming with the second punch and more.

Why? You do anything to get to the blind side, even it means trying to get to the outside of a round punch? The jat-sau should be all you can get out of that and it's helping the opponent more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Fuk-sau is a suppressing energy concept,.
    I agree on the whole but explain suppressing energy concept??

Let's do some image snapping.

Is this not the image in the Wing Chun Dictionary entry for "Chasing Hands"?

I wouldn't want to find myself in such a position, especially not intentionally thinking it is good and I'm gonna pull off a few more moves before the next hand comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I agree on the whole but explain suppressing energy concept??
    Think of how we use the jam-sau/ punch suppressing the opponent's arm to cut the line. Elbow. That's the fuk-sau concept as I know it, anyway. Suppressing energy is my translation/interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    My teachings are based on my having competed many times so I do know what will work against a resisting opponent. Btw, I'm demonstrating in those clips for my for students. What you think doesn't really matter to me. I train fighters even now. And I can still fight with what I teach. Who ever said I had unmatched chi sao skills? You made that up on your own. LOL
    Phil, i was being sarcastic and having a shot at Graham and Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Phil, i was being sarcastic and having a shot at Graham and Kevin
    A cyber shot that is. You'd be in trouble if it was a proper one poppet!

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Think of how we use the jam-sau/ punch suppressing the opponent's arm to cut the line. Elbow. That's the fuk-sau concept as I know it, anyway. Suppressing energy is my translation/interpretation.
    Ok I agree if that's your interpretation but suppressing to me assumes contact has been made. I know a lot of people use arm contact to explain fook sau. Its wrong IMO. The elbow position/punching action derived from the fook sau concept should be the same regardless of whether there are obstacles in the way or not. I don't like anything that suggests arms are glue together or contact has to be made for it to be Ving Tsun. Sticky Arms is a visual description and not that we should be stuck on arms in sparring.