Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun use of Fook Sao/u

Apology to Glenn R

I've been away from here for a while and was wondering how my brothers and sisters here were doing. I wanted to share the clip with my family. Yes, I consider us a family no matter how dysfunctional. :-) I guess I felt like I was attacked. I'm in Cali but I still have the NYC comeback. I jumped the gun Glenn and I apologize.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The angles you use are wrong, you are getting away with it because the guy stops and doesn't follow in ...
    I wasn't so much concerned with my upper hand.I made the clip for another Wing Chun Sifu who wanted to know how we used the Fook/Fuhk. I was mostly concerned to show him why the elbow concept (Mo Yul Jiang), immovable elbow was important.
    In NYC I've fought some CLF guys. They'll strike and hope you block so they can use a corkscrew punch and fall into a Sei Ping Mah and strike you with a Ginger Fist in the rib cage. Yes, my high block was not "on point". I wanted to show the other guy that you can apply a Fook even when attacked to the upper gate. I was using 0:27 in the following clip except I was apply it from the Central (not center), line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcwwzgIwaLE
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I've been away from here for a while and was wondering how my brothers and sisters here were doing. I wanted to share the clip with my family. Yes, I consider us a family no matter how dysfunctional. :-) I guess I felt like I was attacked. I'm in Cali but I still have the NYC comeback. I jumped the gun Glenn and I apologize.
    No problem Phil, it can be hard to decipher some of the comments here and mine was in that group..

Hope youre well and training hard

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    This is what I see. A guy stopping from hitting with the following hand. If he feints you to do this ... Then what ?
    This was a demo to show the use of the fook. I wasn't in "combat" mode. :-)
    What do I do if someone flips the script? I interrupt and do something else like we all do in Chi Sao.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    No problem Phil, it can be hard to decipher some of the comments here and mine was in that group..

Hope youre well and training hard
    So far so good. Thx,
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I wasn't so much concerned with my upper hand.I made the clip for another Wing Chun Sifu who wanted to know how we used the Fook/Fuhk. I was mostly concerned to show him why the elbow concept (Mo Yul Jiang), immovable elbow was important.
    In NYC I've fought some CLF guys. They'll strike and hope you block so they can use a corkscrew punch and fall into a Sei Ping Mah and strike you with a Ginger Fist in the rib cage. Yes, my high block was not "on point". I wanted to show the other guy that you can apply a Fook even when attacked to the upper gate. I was using 0:27 in the following clip except I was apply it from the Central (not center), line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcwwzgIwaLE
    I use the huen sao against inside low strikes against boxers. I cant turn at all like you are doing or Im toast. I rely on a tight elbow with cutting line, as slt.
    WSL had some ideas I can share when we meet. I know you're past lineage wars ; )

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    I see three pics. The guy in the trunks does a left darn bo chin choi and the other guy does Hop Gar attack hands to the bridge. The guy in the trunks does a weak right sim bo chin choi and the other guy does a wiper to the bridge. The guy in the trunks does a kinda sorta chin choi/ chow choi and hits the guy. What is this suppose to demonstrate and how does it add to the discussion of Phil's technique that he has graciously shared with us? Please detail your argument. Thank you. All the best.
    SKM
    The "other guy" on the right is Wong Shun Leung, ever heard of him ?

@SKM

Simple, Direct & Efficient.

Wing Chun actions should always be in line with these three guiding principles.

In Phil's technique he's trying at all costs to get to an advantageous position on the opponent's blind side, even if it means crossing himself with the opposite arm and stepping in the direction of the punch, putting himself in danger. His angle is bad, so he can only use one hand, while the opponent can easily throw the second punch, difficult to defend from that position.

He's also doing several actions to jerk, circle, and slap away the opponent's single punch in order to get to the outside and deliver a low palm strike- not very rewarding for all that work assuming his opponent doesn't just deck him with the second hand as soon as he crosses himself to jat-sau the wrong side.

If you can't see how that is not simple, roundabout, and inefficient, then I'll show you this clip for contrast. There's no need to get to the outside to deal with it, and it's one beat. Round punch comes, punch right away:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z38hM4LCBU

Simple, Direct & Efficient.

If you want to know what the fuk-sau concept is, it's a straight punch with the elbow cutting the way, not a hooking shape or action. That's taking the visual form of SNT too literally. The hand doesn't matter. It's the elbow. See the fuk-sau concept in the paak-sau drill:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx0US23G-F8

Once again, Simple, Direct & Efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    We have a similar technique in our dummy form.
    As we do it it's a recovery if we ever mistakenly end up on the inside which we'd never intentionally do, but first of all we don't jat-sau to jerk the opponent in when we are in such a bad position. That's just asking for it. Secondly the response is to hyun and cut back to punch with the jam-sau right away, not step around, slap away, low palm...

I don't see anything wrong with the idea of the application.
    Either review my previous post, or try it out with a live opponent who doesn't just throw one punch and let you play with it and you'll probably see then.

What do I do if someone flips the script? I interrupt and do something else like we all do in Chi Sao.
    Flipping the script would be doing anything but throwing one punch and standing there. If you have to do something else in that case, why try to pull this trick off in the first place?

Phil, waste no more of your pearls on these swine.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    try it out with a live opponent who doesn't just throw one punch and let you play with it and you'll probably see then.
    Have, many times. Your footwork needs to be lateral and you need to have your wu sao alive, playing inside you often invite the second hand. Not impossible to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Phil, waste no more of your pearls on these swine.
    Yeah Andrew, I think you have a point. I guess I'm just easy.....lol
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I already prepared this clip but I'm done with the subject after this. I'm available to demonstrate this and other aspects of Wing Chun in real time if anyone is interested in testing me. Being tested is the best way for me to improve. I'm in SoCal right now but I travel to do work shops. ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s37CCiz0EuA
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I already prepared this clip but I'm done with the subject after this. I'm available to demonstrate this and other aspects of Wing Chun in real time if anyone is interested in testing me. Being tested is the best way for me to improve. I'm in SoCal right now but I travel to do work shops. ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s37CCiz0EuA
    You should come to Toronto Phil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.