Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny

Weinstein Co Readying ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ Sequel For May Start
    By MIKE FLEMING JR | Thursday January 24, 2013 @ 5:39pm

EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company has set a May production start in Asia on a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. There is a script by John Fusco, and TWC is in talks with veteran Chinese director Ronny Yu. Harvey Weinstein is producing.

The new film is derived from the same source material as the Ang Lee-directed 2000 film that won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and three other Academy Awards. Lee isn’t involved in this one, which is based on Silver Vase, Iron Knight. That is the fifth book in the Crane-Iron Pentalogy by Wang Du Lu. Crouching Tiger was the fourth book in the series. Fusco, whose credits include Spirit, Hidalgo and The Forbidden Kingdom, is an avid follower of Wu Sia, the centuries-old genre of Chinese fiction that this series is part of.

“This was an opportunity to explore a lifelong passion I’ve had for Wu Sia, and if there wasn’t continuing source material, I would never have gotten involved,” Fusco told me.

The sequel continues to revolve around Yu Shu Lien, the character played in the original by Michelle Yeoh. It’s not immediately clear yet which actors will reprise, but some likely will. “This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades. It’s so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be.”

TWC and Sony had battled several years ago over the rights to the books left behind by the author, who died in 1977. Reports quoted his son, Hong Wang, saying his family made very little money from the original film, and that they went out to make another deal. TWC feels it walked away with those theatrical rights and is going ahead with its film, which has a budget north of $20 million.

Casting will get underway after the director signs, and for his part Fusco expects a return from Wo Ping Yuen, the legendary fight choreographer responsible from the high wire action work in the original. They worked together on Forbidden Kingdom (pictured). Fusco separately scripted Marco Polo for Electus/Weinstein Co and Starz, as well as the feature Highwaymen, which has John Lee Han**** attached to direct a retelling of the Bonnie & Clyde story from the vantage point of Texas Ranger Frank Hamer, who was called out of retirement to head the manhunt. Liam Neeson is eyeing that role. He also adapted the rise of Elvis Presley pic Last Train To Memphis for Fox 2000 and Steve Bing, based on the Peter Guralnick novel. Fusco’s repped by UTA.
    Here's my CTHD index post in regards to archived threads on this forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Crouching tiger hidden dragon sequal.

so i guess we can call this the biggest news in kung fu movie news, since the original CTHD, was the biggest wuxia movie ever...i guess ang lee sold the rights to the weinstein bros.

Weinstein Co. Begins Production on 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Sequel in May
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...duction-in-may
    by Beth Hanna
    January 25, 2013 12:54 PM

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
    The Weinstein Company will reportedly start production in May on a sequel to Ang Lee's Oscar-winning "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Lee is not returning to helm the film; directing reins will instead go to veteran Chinese director Ronny Yu.

The sequel is based on the same source material as the original, Wang Du Lu's "The Crane-Iron Pentology." John Fusco penned the new script; Hui-Ling Wang, James Schamus and Kuo Jung Tsai shared writing credits on the original "Crouching Tiger" screenplay.

Deadline reports that it's unclear which actors from the original, if any, will reprise their roles. Chow Yun-Fat, Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh and Chang Chen toplined. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" won four Oscars in 2001: Best Foreign-Language Film, Cinematography, Art Direction and Original Score.

Lee's "Life of Pi" is currently nominated for 11 Oscars, including Best Picture, Director, Cinematography and Visual Effects.

Not sure I beleive this yet...

But we'll see soon enough, I imagine.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013
    [2013.01.31] MICHELLE YEOH CHALLENGES CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON 2

courtesy of mingpao.com

Michelle Yeoh (Yeung Chi King), Jang Dong-Gun, Yao Chen, Zhang Jingchu, Pace Wu (Ng Pui Chi) yesterday attended a BVLGARI jewelry event in Beijing. Yeung Chi King and Jang Dong-Gun host the lighting ceremony then spoke with the media. Yeung Chi King revealed that lately she is in negotiation for CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON 2 but she cannot reveal any detail yet. If all goes well it will be truly an enormous challenge for her because the last film was released 13 years ago and a box office and critical hit. It was also the first Chinese film to win the Best Foreign Film Oscar.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

unless its a sequel and not a prequel then its all good..but if they go for a prequel i would actually not cast her(i know i know sacrilege) but a younger actress would be more appropriate.. but if they go for a sequel it should focus more on zhang ziyi's character. lets see where this goes... so far ill be honest...im not impressed with john Fuscos writing. but i cant honestly judge him from just one movie...especially one that was geared toward teens. lets see how he does with a more adult themed project. i would have really like to see szeto kam yuen(i think thats how its spelled) write the script... (writer behind, SPL, flashpoint, Dog bite Dog and the upcoming monkey king) i really dig his dark and dizzying writing. plus it would ensure the film would be in chinese... this film will probably be in broken english..id rather just hear the native tongue instead of trying to decipher what the hell people are saying.

Donnie's name dropped

That would be a major game changer for this project.
    Monday, 11 March 2013 17:45
    Donnie Yen may star in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon sequel
    The Hong Kong action star has been offered a role in the sequel to Ang Lee’s internationally-acclaimed film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

A sequel to director Ang Lee’s internationally-acclaimed film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has been confirmed, and Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen is being considered for the male lead.

According to the Hong Kong media, renown Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein had bought the rights for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and filming for the sequel will begin middle of this year.

It was also the production team’s plan to invite Donnie to star in the film and talks between the two parties are underdoing.

If the deal goes through, Donnie will be acting alongside lead actress Michelle Yeoh. Donnie’s role in the sequel is said to replace Chow Yun Fat’s character who died in the first film.

Although Ang Lee had declined to direct the sequel, the production company is still trying to persuade him to take on the role of producer instead.

When reporters contacted Donnie to confirm his casting, he initially appeared surprised that they had caught wind of the news so quickly, but admitted that the production company has approached him and both parties are in discussions.

On the possibility of accepting the role in the sequel, Donnie said, “I would certainly consider carefully, but there are two things that I am concerned about: firstly, my schedule for the year is really packed, and secondly, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is considered a classic so I feel pressured if I were to act in its sequel.”

He declined to comment on how much he is being offered for the role, saying it is a “secret”.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

They've certainly got plenty to work with as I believe CTHD is the third book in the Iron-Crane Pentology.

if donnie gets involved, then im interested..he has a good relationship with harvey weinstein, so im sure its just a matter of hitting the right $ number to make it all happen. i hope they get sammo to do the choreagraphy.. it seems to be the only time donnies ego is curbed is when Dai lo Dai. is behind the camera.

Iron Knight-Silver Vase

Caffeinated Clint March 18, 2013 Movie News
    Yen confirms <i>Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon</i> rumours

Donnie Yen (“Ip Man”, “The Monkey King”) has confirmed rumours he’s been offered a role in the recently announced “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” prequel.

“I will of course think about it, but there are two things that make me hesitate”, China.org.cn quoted the martial-arts proficient actor, saying. “The first is that my schedule this year is very packed. The second is that the first film is already such a classic. I am afraid of the pressure, that the original cannot be surpassed.”

Yen is said to have been offered HKD 50 million to join Michelle Yeoh, reprising her role from the original, for the sequel.

Directors said to be in the mix include David Thwaites and Ronny Yu.

The follow-up, to be produced by “Crouching Tiger” director Ang Lee and housed at The Weinstein Company, would be based on the fourth book in Wang Du Lu’s literary series, “Iron Knight-Silver Vase”.

Here’s a summary of “Iron Knight-Silver Vase” from :

“This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades. It’s so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be.”

“Iron Knight-Silver Vase” was previously reported to be getting underway in May, with a 2014 release planned.
    That's a horrid title.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great to hear of sequel/Donnie Yen. Terrible new title. They should let us name it and poll the selections for the best.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 03-21-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Great to hear of sequel/Donnie Yen. Terrible new title. They should let us name it and poll the selections for the best. My entry : Dragon Rests on Mountain.
    thats not the new title. thats the title of the book, the story is based off.

As long as they keep the CTHD people will go to the show to see it. Many people went originally based on reviews and, of course awards but for another installment, will take a pass because it wasn't their kind of movie. "The Adventures of Remo Williams" was the worst name for a movie directly based on "THE DESTROYER" novels, which was a kick$ASS title for a movie and would have set it up for numerous sequels and box office bucks. They also should have had a martial artist play Remo. The Master's role worked using a non-Asian accomplished actor. Fred Ward went on to kick ass in the "TREMORS" movies with Kevin Bacon.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 03-21-2013 at 07:11 PM.

yu out yuen in.

wow so the game just got stepped up for this movie.. donnie yen and yuen woo ping... read carefully.. donnie yen and yuen woo ping.. this is huge on a whole nother level.. the master and student reunite!!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Crouc...ack-37584.html

Even with The Hangover Part III and Fast and Furious 6 making their way to theaters next weekend, this might be the most ridiculous sequel news we've heard all year. Without director Ang Lee or nearly all of the original cast, the Weinstein Company is moving forward with a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the Oscar-nominated, fantastical martial arts drama released all the way back in 2000. According to The Hollywood Reporter Michelle Yeoh will be the sole cast member to reprise her role, and the directing duties will be taken over by Yuen Wo Ping.

We first learned about these sequel plans in late January, back when Freddy vs. Jason director Ronny Yu was in talks to direct and Yuen Wo Ping was merely on board as a fight choreographer. And to be fair, the original Crouching Tiger was based on a book in a series by Wang Du Lu, and this new one-- called Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon II-- The Green Destiny-- will be based on the fifth and final book in the series, called Iron Knight, Silver Vase. Donnie Yen, a martial arts icon and star of the Ip Man films (and once offered a role in The Expendables 2, for what that's worth)-- is on board in the male role of Silent Wolf.

If you're wondering why Crouching Tiger is getting a sequel now, 14 years after the original film came out, the answer is pretty simple: China. That enormous country has become increasingly important to Hollywood studios, to the point that they're willing to add in entire subplots or change a film's villains to keep Chinese censors and audiences happy. The Weinstein Company is smart to want to make a movie that ought to have immense appeal over there-- and a lot of curiosity from the art house audiences around here who usually see Weinstein Company fare. Is it a bizarrely long time to wait for a sequel? Absolutely. But ****ed if we're not curious anyway.

Z

Of course Z is in talks. She's riding the Grandmaster promos now, as is CTHD2.
    Ziyi Zhang in talks for 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' sequel -- EXCLUSIVE
    By Laura Hertzfeld on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:32PM @laurahertzfeld

Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang is in talks to reprise her role as badass warrior apprentice Jen Yu in the sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which will begin shooting in March 2014.

A source close to the film says Zhang’s part would be shot as flashbacks to explain what happened to her character. As previously announced by The Weinstein Company, Michelle Yeoh will return as Yu Shu Lien and Donnie Yen will star as Silent Wolf in the sequel, titled Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon — The Green Destiny. Yuen Wo Ping will direct; Ang Lee directed the original, which won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2000. John Fusco is writing the screenplay, based on Iron Knight, Silver Vase by Wang Du Lu, book 5 in the Crane-Iron Pentalogy series on which the original film is based.

Ping and Zhang also recently teamed up for Wong Kar-wai’s upcoming film The Grandmaster, opening August 23, which Ping choreographed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Takeshi Kaneshiro would be a great cast addition!

No Donnie?

Andy instead? ouch.
    CROUCHING TIGER 2: Donnie Yen Out? Andy Lau In? TWC Says, "Nope."
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

The Weinstein Company have issued an official statement about this:

Los Angeles, CA (January 16, 2014)
    David Thwaites, producer of the CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON sequel and Harvey Weinstein, Co Chairman of The Weinstein Company issued the following statement: "The article that appeared in Apple Daily regarding our Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel is unequivocally false.

From the moment Crouching Tiger became a reality at The Weinstein Company we designed the project around Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh.

No other offers were ever made to anyone else and we're thrilled to have such
    icons in our film. We look forward to the start of production in 2014."

Troublesome news from Hong Kong for fans of Donnie Yen:

Apple Daily are reporting that Yen has priced himself out of the running for the upcoming sequel to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and backers The Weinstein Company have moved off of Yen as their choice to fill the lead role and moved on to Andy Lau, who Apple says can be had for 10 million RMB (about $165k in US dollars) less.

Now, it should be noted that Apple has not historically been the most reliable of sources and this could all very well be a negotiating tactic - $165k is certainly significant but seems a low number to be a total deal breaker - but there you have it. There is now word of any change regarding Michelle Yeoh - slated to reprise her role from the original - or Yuen Woo Ping, who is slated to direct.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips