Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Is this what you are describing as a headlock?

No...I mean just one arm, not really a true headlock I guess, you get his neck pulled down and lean your chest on his neck/shoulder area, with your other hand free for hooks, undercuts...also a good position to sprawl and bring him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    No...I mean just one arm, not really a true headlock I guess, you get his neck pulled down and lean your chest on his neck/shoulder area, with your other hand free for hooks, undercuts...also a good position to sprawl and bring him down.

So, you are talking a about a wrestling front head lock then, right?

So, you are talking a about a wrestling front head lock then, right?

Yes, it basically looks like that, but it would be just the left arm and you would still be standing...(unless you wanted to sprawl and go to the ground)

Well it's modern equipment. I've always used mitts and pads in Karate and Kung Fu. I'm not sure when the modern style mitts and pads came into being, but I got to believe Muay Thai didn't have them, in the same form as today, if you go back to the past.
    Nope but muay Thai is a relatively recent development compared to its origin in Muay Boran. Muay Boran is traditional and they dont use modn training or equipment while Muay Thai is modern and progressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Yes, it basically looks like that, but it would be just the left arm and you would still be standing...(unless you wanted to sprawl and go to the ground)
    And how would you be getting over the top of the opponent's head from the MT plum position?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Nope but muay Thai is a relatively recent development compared to its origin in Muay Boran. Muay Boran is traditional and they dont use modn training or equipment while Muay Thai is modern and progressive.
    I'm aware, MT adopted western rules in the 1930's. I don't know if there was modern pads/mitts at that time or not. I'm sure there was something similar.

I actually wish MT would use a little more of MTB...I just feel like it would be so much more complete with the sidekick...(of which MTB had a version, plus plenty other nifty things that could be great surprise attacks) it's not like you would have to revive the forms and solo drills, but 2 or 3 extra techs outside the standard basics would be nice in the arsenal...to my way of thinking...

you know...like Saenchai's handstand kicks. :P

I'm aware, MT adopted western rules in the 1930's. I don't know if there was modern pads/mitts at that time or not. I'm sure there was something similar.

I actually wish MT would use a little more of MTB...I just feel like it would be so much more complete with the sidekick...(of which MTB had a version, plus plenty other nifty things that could be great surprise attacks) it's not like you would have to revive the forms and solo drills, but 2 or 3 extra techs outside the standard basics would be nice in the arsenal...to my way of thinking...

you know...like Saenchai's handstand kicks. :P
    Actually in one fight I did see someone use the technique to KO an opponent where you step up on the opponent's thigh and slam an elbow straight down into the top of the head. It's textbook Muay Boran and actually one of the harder techniques to pull off when you're all sweaty.

And it's not the rules. They adopted the equipment and training methods... Well except nutrition. Most of the fighters are too poor to have a decent diet compared to their European or American counterparts in Muay Thai.
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

And how would you be getting over the top of the opponent's head from the MT plum position?

It works well when you pull them down into the knee...if you can pull his head down to about your pec, you just slide forward and let your armpit go over his head and let your left hand drop down and wrap around...then your right is free for a quick 2 or 3 shots to the ribs.

If your both upright jocking for position it won't work well, you need to be in a dominant position.

Actually in one fight I did see someone use the technique to KO an opponent where you step up on the opponent's thigh and slam an elbow straight down into the top of the head. It's textbook Muay Boran and actually one of the harder techniques to pull off when you're all sweaty.

And it's not the rules. They adopted the equipment and training methods... Well except nutrition. Most of the fighters are too poor to have a decent diet compared to their European or American counterparts in Muay Thai.
    I know, I've always wanted to see that pulled off as well...or when they go off the knee for the downward elbow.

It works well when you pull them down into the knee...if you can pull his head down to about your pec, you just slide forward and let your armpit go over his head and let your left hand drop down and wrap around...then your right is free for a quick 2 or 3 shots to the ribs.

If your both upright jocking for position it won't work well, you need to be in a dominant position.
    The plum IS the dominant position. You can't pull the opponent's head down once he has the plum, that's part of the idea of the plum.

The plum IS the dominant position. You can't pull the opponent's head down once he has the plum, that's part of the idea of the plum.
    Yeah you can't do it if he's got you...

We were talking about the opposite guys, I think...I see the confusion now LaRoux...

We were talking about the opposite guys, I think...I see the confusion now LaRoux...
    But that's the point though. YKW was describing it as a counter to the plum such that the Thai boxer stopped using it and even you can see that's ridiculous.

Yes, exactly.

youknowwho was saying there was some kind of CMA headlock that nullified the plum.

But that's the point though. YKW was describing it as a counter to the plum such that the Thai boxer stopped using it and even you can see that's ridiculous.
    I just reread that..I see why LaRoux was confused...that's my bad. We were talking about the opposite guys.