Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It isn't traditional per se, but you are already seeing San Da (Cung Le) entering into the MMA world. I think the next logical Traditional Chinese Art to be represented will be Shuai Jiao. IMO, none of the overspecialized arts will have much of a chance, but shaolin long fist and CLF could get some representation.
    Actually Shuai Jiao is probably the only TCMA I think has 100% valid application in its field which is wrestling for takedowns from the clinch. It would need to be supplemented by some very good clinch striking work (much like Judo) which would probably be muay Thai.

Sanda uses modern training methods and equipment and is a relatively recent creation so I wouldn't say it's traditional.

I'll wait to see. I'd love it if they could start winning. It would be nice to see a bit more variety as we've seen on occasion with some judoka and samboists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'll wait to see. I'd love it if they could start winning. It would be nice to see a bit more variety as we've seen on occasion with some judoka and samboists.
    cung le beat rich franklin. what the fuk do you want?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You need to drop this belief if you want to see TCMA make it to the next level. This thought process holds the TCMA arts back.

If you go to Japan and say you do Judo or Karate, most people will respond with "you must be very strong". Think about this.
    You probably will be strong, when you get good you won't worry about being strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You probably will be strong, when you get good you won't worry about being strong.
    if you dont lift weights, you are not training real kung fu.

It isn't traditional per se, but you are already seeing San Da (Cung Le) entering into the MMA world. I think the next logical Traditional Chinese Art to be represented will be Shuai Jiao. IMO, none of the overspecialized arts will have much of a chance, but shaolin long fist and CLF could get some representation.
    Yi Long won some Sanda title, he trains traditional Shaolin; and beat some decent MT fighters, but I didn't bring him up because he hasn't faught Silva yet...

I'm sure Bacon would call him Sanda anyway.even though he's always demoing Shaolin forms and touting himself as traditional.

Cung Le calls himself traditional, Dana White calls him traditional...he claims Sanshou/Kung Fu as his base...(on his own page) but people still try to credit his success to TKD and wrestling; even though he says he is, and reps, sanshou and Kung Fu...(his words) He also has taught Sanshou, and written a book, and done a video series on it...but that can't be the major part of his training...

But whatevs... a MT dude held pads for him and he's a purple belt in BJJ, so whatever he considers his base doesn't mean as much as what arm chair fighters think of him.

I think Shaolin and CLF will be represented as well. You'll see someone Like Machida or GSP come up, with a strong KF base, the way they have strong Karate bases..then we will argue that a boxer held pads for them and they learned some BJJ, so they can't have a base the way other fighters have a MT base and also learn some BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    cung le beat rich franklin. what the fuk do you want?
    A TCMAer to win who doesn't train sanda or kickboxing and who doesn't win by kickboxing.
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The opinions expressed by Robinhood are his own and in no way reflect the views of the TCMA community that actually trains for combat.

A TCMAer to win who doesn't train sanda or kickboxing and who doesn't win by kickboxing.
    you said you would love to see sanda start winning in mma. they do.

keep doing your chi sao. one day you will chi sao your way into the octagon for sure.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-28-2013 at 10:33 AM.

you said you would love to see sanda start winning in mma. they do.

keep doing your chi sao. one day you will chi sao your way into the octagon for sure.
    Actually sanda is very good. It's a very modern martial art and I love the way they blend the takedowns into the striking.

What I said was if the TCMAs can win in open full contact rulesets without kickboxing I'd love that and I'd love to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Regarding what is traditional/non-traditional, what is the cutoff date, then?
    I was actually going to do a thread on this at some point. I feel like the general definition of a traditional MA is any art originating from China, Okinawa, Japan or Korea, prior to the 1960's.

I don't agree with this at all. But that seems to be a generally excepted definition. No one really thinks of Capoeira, or any non-Asian MA as traditional, regardless of their age. Also it seems like the Indo-Chinese arts, despite some of them being very old, are usually not considered traditional.

I think age would be a better definition, myself.

Actually sanda is very good. It's a very modern martial art and I love the way they blend the takedowns into the striking.

What I said was if the TCMAs can win in open full contact rulesets without kickboxing I'd love that and I'd love to watch it.
    sanda is western boxing combined with mongolian wrestling. its a totally unchinese sport.

real tcma looks just like sanda.

you will never understand real kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    The opinions expressed by Robinhood are his own and in no way reflect the views of the TCMA community that actually trains for combat.
    If I trained for sport combat, I would train just like everybody else, endurance ..etc.

sanda is western boxing combined with mongolian wrestling. its a totally unchinese sport.

real tcma looks just like sanda.

you will never understand real kung fu.
    I'll agree real TCMA tends to look like Sanda, when applied...but Sanda non-Chinese? C'mon...Side Kicks, Taiji foot catch, takedown, sweeps, ect...that stuff is all Chinese...didn't come from western boxing or Mongolian wrestling.

If I trained for sport combat, I would train just like everybody else, endurance ..etc.
    if.

sdfdsfdsf

Endurance is foundational to the traditional, external arts.