Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Most important part of learning

to get a different subject on here whats the most important thing to you about learning your art?
    what did you start
    why did you stay
    what part do you like about it
    what parts dont you like
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

1. I started with tcma in my youth.
    2. I enjoyed it, I stayed because I was enjoying doing it.
    3. I like the abilities acquired and I like when the training pays off and shows.
    4. I don't like the face games in tcma and the political or personal deceptions are low.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what did you start
    TCMA, Kung Kuen.

why did you stay
    DIdn't, because of moving to a different country ended up doing karate, judo, boxing and wrestling, then moved back to Canada and did TKD, kenjutsu, Judo and FMA.
    Finally came back to TCMA with WC, then returned to Hung Kuen and also SPM.

The specialty kungs and forms.

what parts dont you like
    The BS that is propagated by those that have little to no practical experience fighting trained fighters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    what did you start
    cocaine

why did you stay
    I can stop anytime I want

what did you start
    The original Karate Kid movie, in elementary school, the idea of doing karate was fascinating.
    why did you stay
    Didn't, the instructor had to move away. A few years later, a friend told me about an amazing old man teaching some cool "karate" stuff. I went to see for myself and was amazed when I first watched 7* Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Stayed until I had to move about a decade later. Somewhere in that mix I saw UFC 1. Couldn't find BJJ and knew I had to cross train to keep it real, so I chose the next best option for ground fighting - Judo. Ironically it's the big throws that keeps me in that art.
    Friendships that I've built through the years.
    what parts dont you like
    The constant in flow of newbies that have you reteaching the same ol' all the time. and veterans that are afraid to spar... and Higher than Thou attitudes.

what did you start
    American Karate

why did you stay
    Made it to blue belt then moved away. Took about ten years before I found Aikido which tne moved to Jui Jitsu / Judo / Kenjutsu / and finally Wah Lum and Batto Do. As you can see there was an odd progression but I had the martial bug. I stayed with the judo / jui jitsu for 10 years, achieved instructor rank then the school closed down and work ramped up, children were born etc. Now I study Wah Lum and Batto do.

The friendships that I've built through the years, learning and teaching.

what parts dont you like
    MightyB, you and I think alike!

The constant in flux of newbies that have you reteaching the same ole all the time, and veterans that are afraid to spar... and Higher than Thou attitudes!

Do you guys feel the need to leave your art or style to fill in gaps or holes that your style doesn't fulfill?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

what did you start
    why did you stay
    what parts dont you like
    1. Shuai Jiao and Tan Tui.

2. extra curriculum, from high school onward.

3. able to do it right every time.

4. get hurt trying to do the throw or strike

plenty of 4.

however learn from 4.

Do you guys feel the need to leave your art or style to fill in gaps or holes that your style doesn't fulfill?
    In my case it's not a matter of leaving one art to find another that fills in the gaps but enlarging upon one through experience in others. For example, my jujitsu training has good ground work and submission techniques but the movements are based on grappling with little attention to strikes and a stylistic concern for safety. My cma has strikes, grappling, throws and even a little ground work but is not readily applicable to extended grappling on the ground. Given a choice I would stick with the cma because it is more inclusive and has better transitions among the various skills. Adding the ground work from jj to my base is easier than trying to add boxing and weapons skills to the jujitsu.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Even if I hadn't of left because of re-location I probably would have cross trained no matter what.
    If combat effectiveness is paramount in one MA training then cross training ( or at least cross-testing) is crucial, indispensable really.
    EX:
    Judo has ground work but nothing to the degree of BJJ.
    Hung Kuen had some edged weapon work but nothing to the degree of the FMA.
    And so forth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

what did you start
    I'm not sure if I started taekwondo as a kid before or after the karate kid movie, but it was pretty close to then. I did this until I was 18 and moved to university.

why did you stay?
    I didn't. In university, I was introduced to TCMA (7stars mantis) through the university wushu club. It was fun and interesting. That experience was good. After the teacher left, I tried several other TCMA schools but found the intensity and the experience of the teachers to be very limited.

After university, I moved to Japan for six years where I practiced mostly Aikido and kickboxing, got some good experience in Judo and Kendo. Also during that time I traveled a lot in China and got a good introduction to Shaoliln gongfu. I managed to find a group in Osaka that trains Shaolin and met with them about once a month for fun.

Then I moved to Wuhan to teach at the sports school there for three years. I mostly trained with the professional Sanda program, but I was able to informally train Shaolin, Baji, qigong, etc as well. For one month I trained Wugulun Shaolin full time which was a very interesting experience. During my time in China, a lot of the traditional training I did was informally with friends and I taught them things like Aikido as well.

So, in essence, I train whatever I can where I live.

I enjoy the friendships I've made. TCMA itself is fascinating to study, and provides some historical context to the modern arts that I do.

what parts dont you like
    Passive-agressiveness, superstitions, superiority complexes

The groupies.

uh, there ARE groupies, aren't there?

Quote Originally Posted by RickMatz View Post
    The groupies.

uh, there ARE groupies, aren't there?
    Nah man, they always want you to share the cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Nah man, they always want you to share the cocaine.
    I suppose opium isn't the thing anymore, is it?
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

I ask because it seems as though TCMA are being beat up on these boards with the MMA guys and I feel my system has everything I need with the exception of some higher level ground work which i usually work in with other teachers in my school.

But if you feel your gretting what you need and it works then whats the need to jump on the MMA bandwagon
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan