Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    even you can see that's ridiculous.
    "Even you"? What's that supposed to mean?

I'll give YKW the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he'll come to explain what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post

I'll give YKW the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he'll come to explain what he was talking about.
    You mean the way he did the other time by say the original method was not really how he meant it, but is was more of just a set-up and not really the way it would be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    "Even you"? What's that supposed to mean?

I meant "even you" as meaning you as opposed to the other participants in the discussion. No insult intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    You mean the way he did the other time by say the original method was not really how he meant it, but is was more of just a set-up and not really the way it would be used?
    I avoided that one. Grappling isn't my forte, but I'm learning.

I meant "even you" as meaning you as opposed to the other participants in the discussion. No insult intended.
    LOL..yeah I was just having fun with it...at the end of the day you can't take a forum too seriously anyway.

from Don Wilson's bio

Kathy Long won in kickboxing but it's still a step in the right direction. I would say it's acceptable only because it would be impossible to showcase a lot of Kung fu techniques with boxing gloves on. So it's not the best example but I give a little leeway here. Still I'd be more than willing to bet she was training as a kickboxers even though her training is listed as San Soo and Aikido.

Don Wilson trained in Goju-ryu and kickboxing so that's not viable as an example.

There's not enough information on Jason Yee's training background for a determination.
    "Early life
    Wilson was born to a American father and Japanese mother in Cocoa Beach, Florida,[3] and grew up on Florida's Space Coast. He had a long and successful career in the ring. He was perhaps the best known and most successful kickboxer of his era.
    He is a teacher of Pai Lum Tao Kung fu[4] also known as White Dragon Kung Fu which is how he obtained his nickname."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_%22...agon%22_Wilson

You can't win in kickboxing without training in kickboxing. .
    there's an exception to every extreme.
    Benny "the Jet" Urquidez. He's mixed in nothing but traditional arts: : judo, kajukenbo, shotokan, taekwondo, lima lama, white crane kung fu, jujutsu, aikido, and karate and he is the founder of Ukidokan Karate.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    there's an exception to every extreme.
    Benny "the Jet" Urquidez. He's mixed in nothing but traditional arts: : judo, kajukenbo, shotokan, taekwondo, lima lama, white crane kung fu, jujutsu, aikido, and karate and he is the founder of Ukidokan Karate.
    You do know that kickboxing basically had its roots in karate, right?

You do know that kickboxing basically had its roots in karate, right?
    Yes, but you tend to describe everything in too much extreme so I'm pointing out that yes there have been some guys who claim nothing but traditional arts that did very well in full contact fighting. And a couple that even credit kung fu as a base.

plus you talk of kickboxing as thai boxing only according to your posts. I could ad Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis to the mix of traditional. There's also Jim Kelly.

Yes, but you tend to describe everything in too much extreme so I'm pointing out that yes there have been some guys who claim nothing but traditional arts that did very well in full contact fighting. And a couple that even credit kung fu as a base.
    All of them had bases in traditional arts. All of them had to modify those bases, depending on the ruleset that they were fighting in.

Benny had to make significant changes when he started fighting Japanese style kickboxing and Muay Thai.

All of them had bases in traditional arts. All of them had to modify those bases, depending on the ruleset that they were fighting in.

Benny had to make significant changes when he started fighting Japanese style kickboxing and Muay Thai.
    and there isn't anyone on this forum that doesn't do the same if they put out fighters. It's the way it's always been in traditional schools that advocate fighting. To put everyone in a category saying that traditional martial arts are garbage doesn't make sense, at least to those of us who use it as a base and fight.

plus you talk of kickboxing as thai boxing only according to your posts.
    Kickboxing is kind of confusing, considering the different rulesets that evolved in different countries.

US kickboxing required a certain number of kicks in each round and kicks were only allowed above the waist.

Japanese kickboxing originally was Kyokushin karate, which evolved into Muay Thai rules after the Japanese fought the Thais.

European kickboxing evolved from Japanese/Thai kickboxing.

Kickboxing is kind of confusing, considering the different rulesets that evolved in different countries.

US kickboxing required a certain number of kicks in each round and kicks were only allowed above the waist.

Japanese kickboxing originally was Kyokushin karate, which evolved into Muay Thai rules after the Japanese fought the Thais.
    and I remember when san sou wouldn't allow multiple shots to the head with the hands.

evolution happens because of rules or mores.

and there isn't anyone on this forum that doesn't do the same if they put out fighters. It's the way it's always been in traditional schools that advocate fighting. To put everyone in a category saying that traditional martial arts are garbage doesn't make sense, at least to those of us who use it as a base and fight.
    I'm not one of those who says traditional martial arts are all garbage.

thinking of evolution, watch early BJJ tapes and vid and then look at it now. I'm talking as recent as the 80's.