Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    I'm not one of those who says traditional martial arts are all garbage.
    whether you intend to or not, you kind've do.

although a lot of tradition includes garbage. This is my Opinion anyway.
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-27-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    whether you intend to or not, you kind've do.
    What I do is point out garbage techniques, garbage thinking, and garbage tactics. If those just happen fit the traditional model, that's not my fault.

What I do is point out garbage techniques, garbage thinking, and garbage tactics. If those just happen fit the traditional model, that's not my fault.
    you missed my last edit. I do agree, there's a lot of garbage that's included in traditional. Even Gichin Funakoshi said to be aware of having too many forms, and shotokan has a lot of forms.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    thinking of evolution, watch early BJJ tapes and vid and then look at it now. I'm talking as recent as the 80's.
    Early BJJ tournaments would have most of the auditorium booing if anyone went for a footlock.

Of course one could (and many do) make a valid argument that tournaments were a de-evolution of BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I believe TCMA is still very viable and still loved by many even the non fighters competitors there will always be people whom study the Chinese arts as well as every other art.
    Non fighters are hardly keeping the system intact. They're diluting it down and its losing what makes it "martial."

I would not say its a fad either but lets be real MMA is just that MMA mantis has 14 style in it I consider that MMA. mixing styles together is not a recent/modern thing.
    Don't care about that. I care about the training. MMA, MT, etc. gyms focus on training to fight. Few TMAers do that. They may think they do, but their methods are not sufficient. They are little better than those not wanting to learn fighting at all. That is the problem.

agreed, however every style has inefficient tech. but any excersize produces positive fitness.
    No, absolutely false. When I say fitness, I am referring to the biological term, meaning the measure of an organism's ability to survive and reproduce. Applied to martial arts, TCMA is not surviving well in the public display. It is not showing itself to be on par with more direct training methods like those present in MT, Boxing or MMA gyms. Furthermore, it is becoming more and more difficult to find skilled, qualified instructors that can pass on the martial side of the arts. Meaning it is not reproducing sufficiently. I don't care how good an art is, if it is not reproducing (ie. being carried on in sufficient numbers by qualified and skilled students taking up the banner) then its fitness is 0.

It will never die, it may have changed but ti will not die. Perhaps if there was better teachers not giving aw3ay sashes and wearing silk pj doing forms then it woud be tightened up and higher standards for testing came into place, also accreditation you have a lot of unskilled so called sifu out there teaching with inadequate fighting experience Turing out sub par students. but the same can be said for all arts not just the TMCA
    All arts have it. But TMA's have been lacking in means of self correction.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    what did you start
    why did you stay
    what part do you like about it
    what parts dont you like
    Started mcdojo karate for a few months as a young kid 9/10 then stopped going there. Teenage years did another karate place for around 2 to 3 years and again stopped going there, sensei would rarely be there towards the end, put his assistant teachers or the judo teacher in charge so that got old really quick, plus the guy was kinda a d**k
    Starting tcma soon northern shaolin, I've had in interest for Kung fu for years and I like it compared to karate more.
    In karate I did like the training and techniques we learned. Karate it seemed a lot of respect for rank, it should be respect for all, no matter what rank.

The plum IS the dominant position. You can't pull the opponent's head down once he has the plum, that's part of the idea of the plum.
    You walk in, take atleast one overhook and close the distance. After you gain control with the one overhook, the front headlock is one step away. My preference is to have over under and use under to pull up on the inside and take the headlock. You can lock in a nice arm in guillotine from there too. Arm out with one extra step. It's not really rocket science. That's just one way, just to answer the question that was asked awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    You walk in, take atleast one overhook and close the distance. After you gain control with the one overhook, the front headlock is one step away. My preference is to have over under and use under to pull up on the inside and take the headlock. You can lock in a nice arm in guillotine from there too. Arm out with one extra step. It's not really rocket science. That's just one way, just to answer the question that was asked awhile ago.
    YKW said his student got the headlock when he was being dominated in the plum, you cant walk in and take an overhook when you are getting plumed, you cant headlock and cotrol both arms from their its simply not possible because your head is lower than your opponents and his arms are in a dominate position, what he said makes no sense

Huh? Overhook from the opponent having the plum? What have you been smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    YKW said his student got the headlock when he was being dominated in the plum, you cant walk in and take an overhook when you are getting plumed, you cant headlock and cotrol both arms from their its simply not possible because your head is lower than your opponents and his arms are in a dominate position, what he said makes no sense
    I dunno bout all that. I didn't see his original post. I just saw someone ask how to go from plum defense to front headlock. Personally, I'm more inclined to at least try and regain dominance with my own tie. It's a pretty common spot to be in, there are a handful of good ways out. Ones that I am able to work for me, anyways.

to be fiar YKW simply said the thai clinch he might have meant simply clinch work with strikes rather than just the plum, in which case his answer makes sense, but somehow i doubt he meant this

What? You dunno how to position yourself into an over under from the plum? Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    to be fiar YKW simply said the thai clinch he might have meant simply clinch work with strikes rather than just the plum, in which case his answer makes sense, but somehow i doubt he meant this
    Not sure how one would get confused about a "MT clinch" vs. a normal clinch.

What? You dunno how to position yourself into an over under from the plum? Ok.
    OK, please enlighten me on how you are simply going to position yourself into an over-under without getting out of the plum in the first place.

Not sure how one would get confused about a "MT clinch" vs. a normal clinch.
    it depends on why you talk to, traditional thai clinch work isnt just the plum, thy use underhooks overhooks ****zers etc just like a normal clinch, western thai mainly uses the plum thats for sure, but its not the only position, im just saying he might have meant this, but im inclined to think he did mean the double neck tie