Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I ask because it seems as though TCMA are being beat up on these boards with the MMA guys and I feel my system has everything I need with the exception of some higher level ground work which i usually work in with other teachers in my school.

But if you feel your gretting what you need and it works then whats the need to jump on the MMA bandwagon
    Most systems have what most people need, as long as they are TRAINED properly.
    That said, unless you test yourself with the highest level available to you, how do you know if your systems has what you need from it?
    Granted for most that is a moot point BUT for those that are combat oriented, it is THE point.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I ask because it seems as though TCMA are being beat up on these boards with the MMA guys and I feel my system has everything I need with the exception of some higher level ground work which i usually work in with other teachers in my school.

But if you feel your gretting what you need and it works then whats the need to jump on the MMA bandwagon
    Because TCMA hasn't been able to prove its effectiveness compared to other proven effective arts for the past few decades at least.

I train in traditional arts in addition to more modern arts but I am aware of where they are strong and where they need supplementation, or replacement of their methodology entirely.

Effectiveness is first and foremost what matters. If others can prove their art effective in full contact fighting repeatedly then they have more evidence for their style being effective. Heck I've seen Vale Tudo matches where there were literally no rules. It doesn't make it that different from MMA with the exception of soccer kicks, spine strikes, back of the head, etc. Eye gouges and the like don't really make a difference and the guys who won with no rules are the same who would win with rules.
    Last edited by Bacon; 01-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

...it seems as though TCMA are being beat up on these boards with the MMA guys...
    One of the reasons I started the "Observations" thread was to point out what TCMA has that is valuable. I didn't mean it had to be compared to mma or any other art in particular, but it is a different animal and worthy of being praised for what it can offer. You just can't separate it from its inherent cultural values without degrading it into something that belongs to pop culture.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

I think cross training is very good, it gives you more perspective. I think it's important to spar with people from different disciplines and backgrounds, it makes you better, more well rounded. People from the same school may have a tendency to approach sparring/fighting in a very similar fashion.

I like the MMA guys because I know they're combat oriented. With TMA guys you have some that are and a lot that aren't. Sometimes the ones who are combat oriented don't get enough of what they need/want on account of all the other students with different interests.

what did you start
    This and that.

why did you stay

The effectiveness.

what part do you like about it

That part that let's me know what is b.s and what is legit.

what parts dont you like
    The parts that are b.s.

Do you guys feel the need to leave your art or style to fill in gaps or holes that your style doesn't fulfill?
    Leave? No. Pick up anything from anywhere that is useful and works? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Would you look at that? Sooner or later everyone has a post I like.

If you think one system has it all, you simply haven't experienced enough things yet.

Because TCMA hasn't been able to prove its effectiveness compared to other proven effective arts for the past few decades at least.
    Bacon is this your personal experience or are you speaking what others have done and said?

Because mantis has proven its effectiveness since I was first introduced to it 24 years ago.

laroux
    I agree
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The NJSACB Unified Rules of MMA was a dozen years ago.

It hardly qualifies as a bandwagon; it is an established and persistent reality.

I started doing kenpo at 15, then switched to judo and shotakan at 16 till about 18. Then girls, bars, school life in general got in the way. Started training again at 32 in CLF till about 35. Another break from training for about a year or two. Decided to get my lazy ass back in gear again so I tried WC And hung ga, I liked the hung ga, but the school was forms only. WC I never really bonded with. I then switched to BJJ. Been training BJJ for the last 4 to 5 years (just got my purple belt recently). I missed striking though and wanted to spare, so for the last year and a half have been training kyokushin with the BJJ.

Bacon is this your personal experience or are you speaking what others have done and said?

Because mantis has proven its effectiveness since I was first introduced to it 24 years ago.
    Really, so name me a full mantis only guys who are nhb, vale tudo, or mma bigs shots. Can you name me even one of repute? Didn't think so.
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

Omg every thread turns into this. This forum is getting ridiculous
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

wensu
    The NJSACB Unified Rules of MMA was a dozen years ago.
    It hardly qualifies as a bandwagon; it is an established and persistent reality.
    yes I realize this but it has become like band wagon recently you must admit. why else are we having the same discussion mm vs TMA on every thread, ?

Bacon, first please answer my question,
    and Really, so name me a full mantis only guys who are nhb, vale tudo, or mma bigs shots. Can you name me even one of repute? Didn't think so.
    As I said many times Joel used 8 step praying mantis in the UFC and was successful and won. So YES.

also ALL fights are not measured in the ring brother, my mantis has been effective in REAL fights, not just organized sport fights.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

As I said many times Joel used 8 step praying mantis in the UFC and was successful and won. So YES.
    One crap fighter who won against crap fighters when the talent pool wasn't that good. THAT is you answer? HAHAHAHA!

also ALL fights are not measured in the ring brother, my mantis has been effective in REAL fights, not just organized sport fights.
    So you have t3h d34dly for teh realz streetz. What a joke. Vale Tudo matches have no rules. Nhb has few rules. MMA has only a slight amount more. It's the best testing ground for skills, the only place you're going to find opponents of any worth, and the only way you can show evidence of your level of skill as shown by your level of opponent and your fight record. Even if you use your **** argument the Thai boxers, wrestlers, boxers, bjjers, kickboxers, etc. still have a leg up on you because they can win against skilled opponents and in "real fights." So they still have you beat.

Essentially if you cling to that argument what you're saying is your style and the other TCMA styles can only beat untrained yahoos when you can sort to attacks like eye gouging or bottling someone because you can't win against anyone of skill while fighting on even ground.