Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important part of learning

Bacon

One crap fighter who won against crap fighters when the talent pool wasn't that good. THAT is you answer? HAHAHAHA!
    dude whats with constant insults? why would call someone a crap fighter? are YOU good enough to be in the UFC? whats your professional record at ? so if you insult others calling him crap then what kind of fighter are YOU? less than crap?

Vale Tudo matches have no rules. Nhb has few rules. MMA has only a slight amount more.
    LOL no rules? you seriously posted that? I shouldn't even bother to respond to that posts as you are getting a little out of hand. shall I copy and paste the rule set for you?
    Weight classes:
    Lightweight - over 145 lbs. to 155 lbs.
    Welterweight - over 155 lbs. to 170 lbs.
    Middleweight - over 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.
    Light Heavyweight - over 185 lbs. to 205 lbs.
    Heavyweight - over 205 lbs. to 265 lbs.

Bout duration:
    All non-championship bouts shall be three rounds.
    All championship bouts shall be five rounds.
    Rounds will be five minutes in duration.
    A one-minute rest period will occur between each round.

Fouls:
    1. Butting with the head.
    2. Eye gouging of any kind.
    3. Biting.
    4. Hair pulling.
    5. Fish hooking.
    6. Groin attacks of any kind.
    7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
    8. Small joint manipulation.
    9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
    13. Grabbing the clavicle.
    14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
    17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
    20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
    21. Spitting at an opponent.
    22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
    23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
    24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
    25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
    26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
    27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
    28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    30. Interference by the corner.
    31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

Ways To Win:
    1. Submission by:
    Physical tap out.
    Verbal tap out.
    2. Technical knockout by the referee stopping the contest.
    3. Decision via the scorecards, including:
    Unanimous decision [all judges pick the same fighter as the winner].
    Split decision [One judge picks one fighter, the other two judges pick the other fighter].
    Majority decision [two of three judges pick the same fighter as the winner].
    Draw, including:
    Unanimous draw.
    Majority draw.
    Split draw.
    4. Technical decision.
    5. Technical draw.
    6. Disqualification.
    7. Forfeit.
    8. No contest.
    Referee may Restart the round:
    If the fighters reach a stalemate and do not work to improve position or finish.

I dont know how you fight but the fights I have been in and theirs a lot as I was a bad kid while growing up in an Italian neighborhood in NY, so I would do all the above and whatever it takes to win or get away to safety

It's the best testing ground for skills, the only place you're going to find opponents of any worth, and the only way you can show evidence of your level of skill as shown by your level of opponent and your fight record.
    opponents of any worth? so your saying there not good fighter and tough *******s that dont compete in the whole world? think about your statement. Im sure there some pretty tough guys i prison whom dont compete you can find a worthy opponent in that environment dont you think?
    Essentially if you cling to that argument what you're saying is your style and the other TCMA styles can only beat untrained yahoos when you can sort to attacks like eye gouging or bottling someone because you can't win against anyone of skill while fighting on even ground.
    when and where did I say that? but let me assure you when your in the streets no one asks HOW you won a fight IF you won.

PS you can get your point across without insults to whom people you don't know

PSS if your so bad please post your professional record from online so they we may see it otherwise you have no room to put others down for their accomplishments if you haven't accomplished it on your own. be well
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 01-26-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    dude whats with constant insults? why would call someone a crap fighter? are YOU good enough to be in the UFC? whats your professional record at ? so if you insult others calling him crap then what kind of fighter are YOU? less than crap?
    It's not an insult, it's an objective assessment. It doesn't take a pro fighter to recognize the drastic change in the talent pool of the UFC from when he competed. The guys have only gotten better and better in most cases. Now looks at his record 2-4-0. That's not exactly stellar for any time period in the UFC and even less so when we take into account the talent pool of the day and who he won against.

LOL no rules? you seriously posted that? I shouldn't even bother to respond to that posts as you are getting a little out of hand. shall I copy and paste the rule set for you?
    Yep. Vale Tudo matches have no rules. The ones from nhb and mma if you removed, the same fights would still be winning and you wouldn't see TCMA guys winning. They can't even win WITH the rules.

I dont know how you fight but the fights I have been in and theirs a lot as I was a bad kid while growing up in an Italian neighborhood in NY, so I would do all the above and whatever it takes to win or get away to safet
    We're not talking about social factors, element of surprise, etc. We're talking about a straight up comparison of hand to hand combative skills and TCMA has no evidence for being effective compared to the other styles which have a wealth of victories in full contact fighting.

opponents of any worth? so your saying there not good fighter and tough *******s that dont compete in the whole world? think about your statement. Im sure there some pretty tough guys i prison whom dont compete you can find a worthy opponent in that environment dont you think?
    Member Kimbo slice. Oooh he was such bad man. Then he got his rear end handed to him because fighting nobodies and fighting people who actually know what they're doing who weight the same or more than you are two different matters.

PSS if your so bad please post your professional record from online so they we may see it otherwise you have no room to put others down for their accomplishments if you haven't accomplished it on your own. be well
    and again if your art or any TCMA has any fighters of worth besides one guy with a 2-4-0 record in a less than stellar talent pool feel free to post them up. As I said there are plenty of wrestlers, boxers, kickboxers, Thai boxers, bjjers, etc who I can point. All you've pointed to is one guy with a crap record from a less than stellar talent pool. Not exactly your shining star expectantly considering he's your only example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

It's not an insult, it's an objective assessment. It doesn't take a pro fighter to recognize the drastic change in the talent pool of the UFC from when he competed.
    so joyce gracie dan servean ken smarock oleg taktaroff where all scrubs and not good fighters in their day? LOl anret you basing your weak argument on BJJ???????

Now looks at his record 2-4-0. That's not exactly stellar for any time period in the UFC and even less so when we take into account the talent pool of the day and who he won against.
    you failed to post your record.

Yep. Vale Tudo matches have no rules.
    again stop talking out of your butt and do a little research.... From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia notice it says limited NOT NO RULES. your wrong.

Vale tudo (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈvali ˈtudu]; meaning "everything allowed", or "anything goes") are full-contact unarmed combat events, with a limited number of rules, that became popular in Brazil during the 20th century.[1] Vale Tudo has been considered a combat sport by some observers.[2] While Vale Tudo uses techniques from many martial art styles, making it similar to modern mixed martial arts competitions, it is a distinct style in its own right.[citation needed]

The ones from nhb and mma if you removed, the same fights would still be winning and you wouldn't see TCMA guys winning. They can't even win WITH the rules.

thats a speculation and your personal opinion. not fact
    also why do you discredit TCMA so... did you teacher not teach you did you pay too much money for calsse sand feel you didnt get what you wanted? or have you never taken TCMA
    and just feel the need to bash something you dont know about based on watching TV?

We're not talking about social factors, element of surprise, etc. We're talking about a straight up comparison of hand to hand combative skills and TCMA has no evidence for being effective compared to the other styles which have a wealth of victories in full contact fighting.
    element of surprise is in all fights. all TMCA and TMA TJMA MMA is hand to hand combative skills.
    where do you think MMA came from? you seem to exclude TMCA form MMA if it wernt for TMCA there is nothing to Mix hence mixed martial arts, dont you think part of that mix has Chinese kung fu in it? if not your extremely ignorant

and again if your art or any TCMA has any fighters of worth besides one guy with a 2-4-0 record in a less than stellar talent pool feel free to post them up

I unlike you are posting the actual facts of someone I know and trained and trained with. Im sure theirs others i dont know about, but to say theirs none is obviously incorrect on your part and you sweeping assumptions and opinion mean nothing show the facts.

As I said there are plenty of wrestlers, boxers, kickboxers, Thai boxers, bjjers, etc who I can point. All you've pointed to is one guy with a crap record from a less than stellar talent pool. Not exactly your shining star expectantly considering he's your only example.
    [/QUOTE]

see above. I am proving your are wrong as you said n NO ONE that does TMCA can win or is any good. yet he won in the UFC using praying mantis , as you say crap record or not AGAIN quite dodging my question POST YOUR record. if you dont have one STOP putting others down who have accomplished more than you ever could. your beginning to sound like mouth boxer/arm chair martial artist. no offence, but lighten up on the crap talking and discuss without emotion.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 01-26-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Do you guys feel the need to leave your art or style to fill in gaps or holes that your style doesn't fulfill?
    It's hard to explain... it's kind've the Bruce Lee thing. It's not necessarily that there's anything wrong with the styles I participate in, I just go where the wind blows so to speak. I like martial arts. I like all martial arts. I do find that MMA and BJJ guys are some of the most fun to hang with... even though I hold no rank in BJJ, I love to go and throw down with them. In the beginning, I did pretty much get my arse handed to me, now I hold my own. I guess I go to where I feel the fighters are. If a new guy came to town teaching TCMA and had a rep for throwing down, I'd be game - I'd show up to see what it's about. Not to be a d!ck, or to prove I'm tough, just to see what they got and to train with them if it's worth it to me. I'm not about doing the super formal heireichy thing anymore since I feel I've earned my keep as a martial artist. I'm ok being a white belt again, that's not a problem, but if I feel that someone is talking down to me - we shiai - we play seriously if I don't feel they earned the right to have that attitude.

For what it's worth, my personal "hero" in the martial arts is my Sigung Chung Ho Yin.
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-26-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: thinking about it, I really only have one hero

MightB
    If a new guy came to town teaching TCMA and had a rep for throwing down, I'd be game - I'd show up to see what it's about.
    agreed I always check out other schools.

I had a so called mantis guy without traceable lineage come from Cleveland advertising and teaching 8 step . I honestly asked him if he would be willing to teach me weapons as i know none. he was all gung ho then after checking my credentials and who I was he said he wouldn't know enough to teach me anything. I said you would if it were weapons again I don't know any. I felt he might be intimidated and avoided me after that. wouldn't even show me a weapon set and closed his kwoon 8 months later and moved back to Cleveland. I also have had teachers walk into my school nad challenge me. Im all for it, if you cant back up what you teach and preach then you have no business owning a school . i hate fat out fo shape teachers/shrfu's

I'm ok being a white belt again, that's not a problem, but if I feel that someone is talking down to me - we shiai - we play seriously if I don't feel they earned the right to have that attitude.
    I always consider myself a student and there's always someone whom can teach you something, this is why even after 31 years I don't feel master or pretending to be called master is in my vocabulary.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Not to be a d!ck, or to prove I'm tough, just to see what they got and to train with them if it's worth it to me. I'm not about doing the super formal heireichy thing anymore since I feel I've earned my keep as a martial artist. I'm ok being a white belt again, that's not a problem, but if I feel that someone is talking down to me - we shiai - we play seriously if I don't feel they earned the right to have that attitude.
    this came off a lot more arrogant sounding than I meant. It's hard for me to explain what I mean by what I wrote, but basically I read a book by the guy who invented Crazy Monkey Boxing. In it he described how he treats everyone as adults with something to contribute and he acknowledges that everyone has goals, strengths, and weaknesses that they bring to the class. I like that attitude and now purposefully seek that out when I visit schools. It's like how you, ED, described the other 8step Sifu - that even if you outranked him, you respected his ability to teach you weapon arts. It's that respect that you give to other adults, that professionalism, that I'm trying to describe. If a place or instructor lacks that courtesy, that's what angers me.

you didnt come across as arrogant , no worries. you always have positive and informative things to say in your posts.

that author has the true meaning. the minute you think you cant learn from someone is the minute you rest on your laurels. and that's never a good thing
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

so joyce gracie dan servean ken smarock oleg taktaroff where all scrubs and not good fighters in their day? LOl anret you basing your weak argument on BJJ???????
    Did he beat either of them? Did he give either of them a run for their money? Did he even make it to fighting with either of them? And by. Comparison to today's fighters they are incomplete fighters and would get their rear ends handed to them.

you failed to post your record.
    My record is not the subject here. As I said it doesn't take a pro fighter to see that a 2-4-0 record isn't good from any time period let alone from the worse talent pool of back in the day. And again this is your ONLY example.

again stop talking out of your butt and do a little research.... From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia notice it says limited NOT NO RULES. your wrong.

Vale tudo (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈvali ˈtudu]; meaning "everything allowed", or "anything goes") are full-contact unarmed combat events, with a limited number of rules, that became popular in Brazil during the 20th century.[1] Vale Tudo has been considered a combat sport by some observers.[2] While Vale Tudo uses techniques from many martial art styles, making it similar to modern mixed martial arts competitions, it is a distinct style in its own right.[citation needed]
    You're right in that it is speculation but of two fighters. One is a fighter who fights in high level full contact competition and wins on a regular basis. One is a TCMAer and has never been able to win even an amateur level full contact competition or has never competed period. You take away the rules and you honestly think the TCMAerwill magically acquire these incredible fighting powers or that the full contact fighter won't be cognizant of the fact he can be hit in the throa/eye/spine/etc?

also why do you discredit TCMA so... did you teacher not teach you did you pay too much money for calsse sand feel you didnt get what you wanted? or have you never taken TCMA
    and just feel the need to bash something you dont know about based on watching TV?
    I have taken TCMA and I currently train in a TCMA but I am fully aware of what it is good at and not good at. Some of the techniques in TCMA are good but many aren't. I don't discredit TCMA. I don't have to. It does that all by itself. Look at the empirical evidence. You and others go on about how good TCMA is for fighting but as I said not one TCMAer can you find who has beaten even ONE high level opponent in the last 20 years. Not one.

element of surprise is in all fights. all TMCA and TMA TJMA MMA is hand to hand combative skills.
    where do you think MMA came from? you seem to exclude TMCA form MMA if it wernt for TMCA there is nothing to Mix hence mixed martial arts, dont you think part of that mix has Chinese kung fu in it? if not your extremely ignorant
    Really. Again my question remains. One. Show me one TCMAer in the past 20 years who uses TCMA for striking and grappling, without cross training, who has beaten a high level competor.

I unlike you are posting the actual facts of someone I know and trained and trained with. Im sure theirs others i dont know about, but to say theirs none is obviously incorrect on your part and you sweeping assumptions and opinion mean nothing show the facts.
    No you're trying to prove that one guy in the past 20 years with a 2-4-0 record against nobody opponents from a comparably worse talent pool, one where the highest level guys would get destroyed by today's competitors, is some kind of validation of your style and TCMA in general. He's the only example of a TCMAer even being in a high level competition you can find and he's not exactly a shining star.

see above. I am proving your are wrong as you said n NO ONE that does TMCA can win or is any good. yet he won in the UFC using praying mantis , as you say crap record or not AGAIN quite dodging my question POST YOUR record. if you dont have one STOP putting others down who have accomplished more than you ever could. your beginning to sound like mouth boxer/arm chair martial artist. no offence, but lighten up on the crap talking and discuss without emotion.
    There's no emotion whatsoever. Just cool, calculated assessment. And my record doesn't enter into it. I don't have to have a better record to tell you he's crap by comparison even to the low level opponents he lost to. Why don't you ask Joe Rogan about his mma record. Oh wait he doesn't have one. But both he and I have been watching the UFC and other full contact fighting competitions long enough to tell you what's what.

I didn't say no one could win using TCMA ever. I said "show me a TCMAer who has won in the past couple decades in full contact fighting against high level competition."

Now if Mr. Sutton had beaten any of the high level competitors even of the day I'd give you kudos and admit I was wrong but the only example you've given is a 2-4-0 record against terrible fighters.
    Last edited by Bacon; 01-27-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

? And by. Comparison to today's fighters they are incomplete fighters and would get their rear ends handed to them.

LOl so the guys are mentioned are incomplete fighters? LOL you watch too much spike TV

My record is not the subject here. As I said it doesn't take a pro fighter to see that a 2-4-0 record isn't good from any time period let alone from the worse talent pool of back in the day. And again this is your ONLY example.

YES it IS! you bash other people and name call without having done anything worth while yourself, this shows small character in man
    Quote:

Vale tudo (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈvali ˈtudu]; meaning "everything allowed", or "anything goes") are full-contact unarmed combat events, with a limited
    number of rules, that became popular in Brazil during the 20th century.
    Bacon bacon bacon you just posted 2 times theres NO rules 3 times then you posted a descrption that plainly says limited. again your wrong

You're right in that it is speculation but of two fighters. One is a fighter who fights in high level full contact competition and wins on a regular basis. One is a TCMAer and has never been able to win even an amateur level full contact competition or has never competed period. You take away the rules and you honestly think the TCMA rwill magically acquire these incredible fighting powers or that the full contact fighter won't be cognizant of the fact he can be hit in the throa/eye/spine/etc
    ?

so you want to compare athlete that is a high level fighter and competitor to a guy who doesn't fight competitively or on a regular basis? really this is your argument.?

I have seen a girl knock out a guy in a bar fight. she got a lucky shot, yes you can win in a fight anyway you can. I saw a body builder twice the size of a college kid fall to his knees when the kid hit the bodyt building in the throat with his key chain. I have sen many situations that the tougher bigger badder person doesnt always win, again the street different than the controlled ring. But please dont be so one sided you can fathom someone other than a MMA guy can win fights? come on Bacon, you cant be narrow minded.

I have taken TCMA and I currently train in a TCMA but I am fully aware of what it is good at and not good at. Some of the techniques in TCMA are good but many aren't. I don't discredit TCMA. I don't have to. It does that all by itself. Look at the empirical evidence. You and others go on about how good TCMA is for fighting but as I said not one TCMAer can you find who has beaten even ONE high level opponent in the last 20 years. Not one.

wow paragraph of the thread. so you take TCMA but your not good enough at it to win fights? but you dont do MMA?? but yet your the cheerleader of th4 bandwagon? WTF LOL what happened to this thread??????????

Again my question remains. One. Show me one TCMAer in the past 20 years who uses TCMA for striking and grappling, without cross training, who has beaten a high level competitor.
    never ever did I say you shouldn't cross train,, your ridiculous argument since the beginning is that TMCA doesn't work and only MMA does.

I teach and I cross train so do my students I have BJJ aikdo boxing and of course kung fu anlong with wrestling coaches in my complex and we all train with each other

again I unlike you are posting the actual facts not getting my resuultds form spkie TV
    . Im sure theirs others i dont know about, but to say theirs none is obviously incorrect on your part and you sweeping assumptions and opinion mean nothing show the facts.

Now if Mr. Sutton had beaten any of the high level competitors even of the day I'd give you kudos and admit I was wrong but the only example you've given is a 2-4-0 record against terrible fighters.
    I can only vouch for what I knwo I do not unlike you make sweeping assumption statement like NOONE, EVER, NEVER when you say these phrases they are obviously incorrect as you cant know about every fight all over the world.

its like when the say champion of the world, or world title.... yet the guy only fights in the US its all media hype BS.

again I thin oyur watching to much ultimate fighter and spike TV.

PS iif you train TCMA and it doest work as you say why are you still training it?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Please try to communicate with some respect for each other.

-Bacon. you're being a troll and you know it.

-everyone else, stop feeding him.

That is all.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

never ever did I say you shouldn't cross train,, your ridiculous argument since the beginning is that TMCA doesn't work and only MMA does.

I can only vouch for what I knwo I do not unlike you make sweeping assumption statement like NOONE, EVER, NEVER when you say these phrases they are obviously incorrect as you cant know about every fight all over the world.
    Let me break down my argument into smalle bites for you because you seem to have missed and misunderstood it:
    1. No TCMAer has won against a high level opponent in full contact fight in the past 20 years. (it would be big news if they had)
    2. There are certain valuable things to take from TCMA but a fairly large portion of the training is ineffective or missing in certain aspects. The arts which have proven themselves successful are superior in training and technique because they have proven so.
    3. All full contact fighting looks pretty much the same in a free fighting environemnt whether it's karate, mantis, bagua, etc. but boxers, kickboxers, Thai boxers, wrestlers, bjjers, and even the few judoka and samboists who've done well, train the way they fight and fight better than the TCMAers because... Read point #1
    4. You have no basis for saying TCMA is effective, scientific, or what have you in comparison to other arts because...Read point #1

PS iif you train TCMA and it doest work as you say why are you still training it?
    Because there are a few techniques and elements of it which are good and can be effective if trained the right way. TCMA just does not train in the most effective manner as evidenced by point #1

The point is that TCMA used to win lei tai matches and possibly even other inter art competitions but hasn't done so for a long time. Either the other arts have gotten better, TCMA has gotten worse, both, or it wasn't that good to begin with (although I think the last point is less likely).

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    -Bacon. you're being a troll and you know it.
    Are you seriously saying that requiring empirical evidence to back up statements is trolling? Because honestly that's all I'm doing.

I think ED may be a stand up guy in real life but I'm working from an evidence based system and he's not. That's all. I have nothing against him except that.

1. No TCMAer has won against a high level opponent in full contact fight in the past 20 years. (it would be big news if they had)
    big news to wqho? CNN but may I ask from where are you getting your information from the UFC? do you follow e3very sport fight in the world? and what do you mean by high level?

2. There are certain valuable things to take from TCMA but a fairly large portion of the training is ineffective or missing in certain aspects.
    I agree and disagree while there may be SOME things that just dont work, like in all MA there are way more that do but thats depending on the individual. I can make things work that maybe someone else cant and visa versa.

The arts which have proven themselves successful are superior in training and technique because they have proven so

TMCA has proven itsself for thousands of years. no point here

3. All full contact fighting looks pretty much the same in a free fighting environemnt whether it's karate, mantis, bagua, etc. but boxers, kickboxers, Thai boxers, wrestlers, bjjers, and even the few judoka and samboists who've done well, train the way they fight and fight better than the TCMAers because... Read point #1
    agree but why single out TMCA in that list I train the way I fight I do TMCA, you cant say better based on the art its the individual I know TKD people that can beat up karate guys and so forth its not the art its how you execute it.

4. You have no basis for saying TCMA is effective, scientific, or what have you in comparison to other arts because...Read point #

If there's no basis why is it still taught and why are millions of people still doing it. again this is your personal opinion and why are you still training in a style that you say hasd no basis?

TCMA just does not train in the most effective manner as evidenced by point #1
    again personal POV, this measn nothing to others......also effective for what? you said you dont compete so why do you care if it works or doesnt work for other people

The point is that TCMA used to win lei tai matches and possibly even other inter art competitions but hasn't done so for a long time. Either the other arts have gotten better, TCMA has gotten worse, both, or it wasn't that good to begin with (although I think the last point is less likely)

theres watering down in all arts bacon stop trashing 1 out of hundreds.

Are you seriously saying that requiring empirical evidence to back up statements is trolling? Because honestly that's all I'm doing

name calling and belittling joel is not called for, I beleive david was speaking of this. unless you fight him and beat him I would consider him much tougher and better than you. so lets just drop the derogatory remarks against someone whom you dont know, thats vary immature

I think ED may be a stand up guy in real life but I'm working from an evidence based system and he's not. That's all. I have nothing against him except that.
    I cant say this again ...your basing off your opinion no NO evidence ever. everything you have said is about how you feel. nothing to back it up, no evidence. and yes I am a very stand up nice person, but you gotta present different opinions not just say mines better than yours. otherwise we would all think the same and that would be boring.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 01-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

AFAIK, there are fewer instances, if any, of FMA or Silat practitioners fighting in, much less winning in, MMA contests that CMAs. Yet these arts are still very valuable, and one would be incorrect to assume that they can't be effective for the purposes they were designed for.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-27-2013 at 09:00 AM.

thank you jimbo, its seems as bacon has a one sided view only I am trying to make him see differently but people can be stubborn
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It's hard to explain... it's kind've the Bruce Lee thing. It's not necessarily that there's anything wrong with the styles I participate in, I just go where the wind blows so to speak. I like martial arts. I like all martial arts. I do find that MMA and BJJ guys are some of the most fun to hang with... even though I hold no rank in BJJ, I love to go and throw down with them. In the beginning, I did pretty much get my arse handed to me, now I hold my own. I guess I go to where I feel the fighters are. If a new guy came to town teaching TCMA and had a rep for throwing down, I'd be game - I'd show up to see what it's about. Not to be a d!ck, or to prove I'm tough, just to see what they got and to train with them if it's worth it to me. I'm not about doing the super formal heireichy thing anymore since I feel I've earned my keep as a martial artist. I'm ok being a white belt again, that's not a problem, but if I feel that someone is talking down to me - we shiai - we play seriously if I don't feel they earned the right to have that attitude.

For what it's worth, my personal "hero" in the martial arts is my Sigung Chung Ho Yin.
    Three cheers for that post!!!

Between that and the video trying out the leg bite thing you earned some serious interwbz cred. It's not as good as street cred but it's something . . .