Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hardest part of mimicing your style

Anyone who can break down the principles and use the techniques in any reasonable order and use them effectively is an effective student.

That being said, the more realistic the style, the less work you have to do to make it work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    -weight is 60/40 in a high bow stance (looks like a typical boxing stance)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    is that from the cma style(s) you learn or is that because
    you have a boxers base?
    Similar for me, and mine is from Praying Mantis. Mantis calls it middle stance or monkey stance. Same difference.

It just comes down to that is the stance that works.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    -N-
    great advice, I tend to rush my students along, partly because it comes second nature so I tend to move a little fast for some, also to keep the classes interesting and not too monotonous for the faster learners.

Perhaps the lack or drilling it into thier heads as well a muscle memory is part of my situation. I am going to do as you suggested tonight and see if it indeed has a a more positive outcomes
    Sounds good. But just to be sure, it will take more than just one night if you want to use this approach. More like months.

It's like, do they want to have a lot of stuff that they can sort of use. Or do they want to start with a few things that they can nail most of the time before adding more?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    How do you train spirit? Those with strong spirit will embrace this style of training, those with weak spirit avoid it, make excuses and tend to drift away.

How do you make a weak spirit strong?
    Same like for anything else. Everybody has a different aptitude or innate starting point.

Someone with a really timid spirit may never become super aggressive, but you can coach him to make some improvement. He can make some kind of improvement so that he is better than when he started. Isn't that the whole premise behind behind training?

And that's where you start getting into the collateral benefits of training martial arts. Beyond the physical skills and abilities is the mental and and spiritual training so that the person can apply that attitude to all of his life challenges, not just fighting another person.

The ability to suffer and not give up, face down your problems, and to kick your own ass in order achieve your goals.

Weak or timid spirit can come from fear or lack of confidence. As a teacher and coach, you create training opportunities for the student to stretch a little further than his current abilities. You help him little by little to let go of his fear. You make him train his skills so that he can see his gradual improvement. Even just helping him get used to being hit, so that he becomes less flinchy is a start.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To me, "style flavour" is certain "habit" that we have developed from partner training but not from solo training.
    Sometimes people associate style with TMA and want to talk crap on it.

Even boxing has styles. Not all boxing looks the same.

Tyson has his style. Pacquiao has his. If they both started training people, their students would tend to follow the methods of their respective trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Those are drills, not the same as actually fighting.
    Drills are good to develop and work on specific PARTS of fighting.
    For fighting to be fighting it has to be as least predictable and restricted as possible.
    Most full contact systems do not (typically) start trainees by making them overly defensive or offensive, that is something that comes out naturally i n free style sparring and then is "developed" afterwards.
    Sure, but what we're hearing from ED is that taking this approach with his students has let them have a lot of stuff that they are not using effectively.

He can scale back until they have an acceptable level of competency before letting them totally go at it.

One thing that TMA does is to isolate a particular thing and train it to an extreme. Like I had posted on other occasions, I had a 14 year old student more than hold his own against adult blackbelts because I had him train his aggressive attacking to an extreme. Yes, later I had to focus him on defense, but my goal had been to develop that high level of aggressive intent. That was part of training his spirit. When he had that, he had plenty of time to develop his other areas without mental distractions.

Either direction you approach from, you end up in the same place.

Skill, size, strength, and guts are all needed.

Musashi in his later years questioned his successes. Were they because of his skill, or was he just bigger and stronger?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    It just comes down to that is the stance that works.
    Talking about the stance that work. Onetime I sparred against a Karate guy. I stood in a low stance that my head was on his waist level. He had to punch 45 degree downward to reach me. All his favor high kicks won't work on me. Later on he said, "I hate to spar with you Kung Fu guys. Your guys fighting stance are just too low."

Anything that you do can make your opponent to feel uncomfortable, it's good strategy.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-29-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Talking about the stance that work. Onetime I sparred against a Karate guy. I stood in a low stance that my head was on his waist level. He had to punch 45 degree downward to reach me. All his favor high kicks won't work on me. Later on he said, "I hate to spar with you Kung Fu guys. Your guys fighting stance are just too low."

Anything that you do can make your opponent to feel uncomfortable, it's good strategy.
    Haha, he didn't know how to kick your leg or your head when you were low?

Absolutely, anything thing people have never come up against tends to throw them off. I usually keep the high, boxer style stance...but when I spar someone from a different discipline for the first time, I like to throw in the horse stance and crouching stance. I worry about low kicks, but it's rare they attempt them...they're usually trying to adjust and are frustrated they can't punch you.

They always comment on how different it is fighting KF when you do things like that, because most people haven't sparred someone using those methods before.

You always hear Rogan commenting on how difficult it is for some fighters to adjust to Machida and those like him, because of the "unorthodox" style. But it's all just traditional principles being thrown in.

When I started in Karate, the first time I sparred a boxer it was awkward and uncomfortable, the same the first time I sparred with a wrestler. This is why it's so bad to only spar people from your school/style.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Yeah, but do you think you would have a boxers stance w/o that prior training? You know what I mean? You think you would have ended up like that if all you did was CMA?

I think I would have. But I was a bit of a fighter before I ever had any real training. So, you know, that has an effect. I know what I do and where it came from, but as an onlooker you may see the principles and recognize certain movements, but also you will see mishmash that may not be so obvious as to where I got it from. Like if you do Karate and MT and you train them both at the same time after a certain point, the techniques and principles merge and become something somewhat new.

So I guess you tuck your chin and use your shoulder? When you say hands up, what do you mean? In a boxers pose, or a modified boxers pose?
    Yes, the stance is in the style as well. It isn't exclusive to boxing at all although that is a frame of reference for it when people don't know much about tcma and need the comparative description.

Chin is tucked, shoulders are up. This reduces your head as a target. It's not exclusive to any art in particular and is common among fighters of all styles.

Hands up is hands up. En garde. Again, keeping your hands up is not exclusive to boxing and is in fact a natural response to physical conflict.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Fighting stance and foot work or stepping methods

--

They are called Quan Jia Zi or fighting/boxing frame.

Each style has its own stance and preferred footwork.

It would show.

If not all the time but most of the time.

That is why in the old time, you would yield 3 moves.

To see your opponent's boxing frame and hide your own.

etc etc

--

In a ring fight, the rule sets may favor certain stance and footwork.

Most of us would fight the "same".

but your boxing frame would reveal itself one way or another.

---