Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardest part of mimicing your style

Hardest part of mimicing your style

I find my students look great when doing application slow controlled techniques etc etc, then when we go at it and I expect a change during free fighting but it seems as they loose most if not all the mantis flavor and look like uncontrolled slap boxing exchange.

How does you/ your school. and teachers train adn spar fights while still having the flavor of your style?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

have them close in and backaway instead of trying to do those movie sequences of nonstop blocking and hitting.

they doing slap boxing becaues they forgot footwork.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I find my students look great when doing application slow controlled techniques etc etc, then when we go at it and I expect a change during free fighting but it seems as they loose most if not all the mantis flavor and look like uncontrolled slap boxing exchange.

How does you/ your school. and teachers train adn spar fights while still having the flavor of your style?
    They are not ready to spar!, Maybe they should watch "Karate Kid" again.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    They are not ready to spar!, Maybe they should watch "Karate Kid" again.
    you will never be ready to spar, wing chun subhuman. your muscle have atrophied to size of a paraplegic from years of sil nim tao.

Well for the wing chun I train it's a matter of careful progression through the drills at each level getting more and more resistant; working the chi sao so the techniques can be applied from the bridge, students aren't chasing hands, strikes are automatic when the bridge breaks, recovery of the centerline, etc. Then when we start into sparring we work engagement drills with progressive speed and resistance so the techniques don't fall apart under pressure and students get more used to integrating entering, bridgin, and then using the techniques from chi sao.

Like many very traditional karate karate schools most students won't even begin the entry drills to progress into sparring for a few years. Until then most of the techniques, mechanics, and drills are not embedded well enough and what happens is exactly what you described with your students.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Well for the wing chun I train it's a matter of careful progression through the drills at each level getting more and more resistant; working the chi sao so the techniques can be applied from the bridge, students aren't chasing hands, strikes are automatic when the bridge breaks, recovery of the centerline, etc. Then when we start into sparring we work engagement drills with progressive speed and resistance so the techniques don't fall apart under pressure and students get more used to integrating entering, bridgin, and then using the techniques from chi sao.

Like many very traditional karate karate schools most students won't even begin the entry drills to progress into sparring for a few years. Until then most of the techniques, mechanics, and drills are not embedded well enough and what happens is exactly what you described with your students.
    you insult so many tcma about their useless kung fu against mma, and now your modern advanced progressive training consists of chi sao and bridging.

you wing chun fakes always expose your excrement eventually.

Blog Entries
    The "style flavor" is how you will start (entering strategy from your style), and how you will finish (finish strategy from your style).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-28-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you will never be ready to spar, wing chun subhuman. your muscle have atrophied to size of a paraplegic from years of sil nim tao.
    LOL, I don't do sil nim tao , are you talking from experence., or observation ?

you insult so many tcma about their useless kung fu against mma, and now your modern advanced progressive training consists of chi sao and bridging.

you wing chun fakes always expose your excrement eventually.
    How many times must I repeat this... mma is a ruleset, not a fighting style

And two points:
    Wing chun isn't the only art I train in
    Chi Sao is a drill just like clinch drills in muay Thai or wrestling
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    LOL, I don't do sil nim tao , are you talking from experence., or observation ?
    do not lie. i can smell your kind. you smell like a woman during her period, when her estrogen is maximum. nice microaggresion u got there, warrior.

How many times must I repeat this... mma is a ruleset, not a fighting style
    mma is a ruleset where the most efficient and effective ways of fighting in that ruleset looks very similar. because fighting is similar. not in your pigeon toed virgin girl stance.

mma is a ruleset where the most efficient and effective ways of fighting in that ruleset looks very similar. because fighting is similar. not in your pigeon toed virgin girl stance.
    and funny enough in fighting competitions when there were less or practically no rules the same kind of fighting dominated.

and funny enough in fighting competitions when there were less or practically no rules the same kind of fighting dominated.
    no. it has chanaged a lot. you would know this if you actually have interest in mma, instead of having revenge fantasy about wing chun superman going in to destroy them all to regain the honor of bruce lee and yip man.

and when someone actually tries to do it, you humiliate them for having the courage of trying, like shawn obassi.

New sig line !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

no. it has chanaged a lot. you would know this if you actually have interest in mma, instead of having revenge fantasy about wing chun superman going in to destroy them all to regain the honor of bruce lee and yip man.

and when someone actually tries to do it, you humiliate them for having the courage of trying, like shawn obassi.
    Except who was doing well and winning back then? Bjj guys, wrestlers, Thai boxers, kickboxers, shootfighters, free fighters. No TCMA guys at the top back then.
    The revenge fantasy thing you're putting words in my mouth. The reason I bash Obasi is because he's a slugger. He fights like a gorilla and he's insane.

The only way to maintain the "mantis flavour" is consistently sparring hard with "mantis flavor".
    You need to re-wire the bodies natural moves to be "mantis" and only consistent hard contact sparring does that.
    You must also expose your mantis to non-mantis, the law of specificity demands this.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !